Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Spiritual Meditations Post spiritual meditations here to read and feel free to share.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 04-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #16
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 16

I AM HEARD

“Today I have Someone who will always hear me.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 260 (Third Edition)

“I am praying to you because I know you will answer, O God. Bend down and listen as I pray.” Psalm 17:6

For what it’s worth: My alcoholic mind told me that God did not listen to me, so I stopped listening to Him. When I really needed Him, I was afraid I had distanced myself so far that He could not hear me, and would leave me alone and powerless. Without help, I knew I would fail Alcoholics Anonymous just as I had failed everything else in life. However, the reality that I was actually sober in AA proved that God was listening all along. When I felt no one was hearing my pleas, Someone always was. It has been that way for many years now. When my prayer is weak and full of doubt, my Heavenly Father bends down and listens to me. He lets me know I am heard.

God bless you!
Joe W.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #17
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 17

JUST AS I AM

“... We ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or a decision.”

Alcoholics Anonymous, page 86

“...He will give you another Counselor who will never leave you.” John 14:16

For what it’s worth: There was no inspiration, decent decisions or intuitive thinking going on in my alcoholic mind - only insanity. I expected to die that way or locked in a padded cell somewhere alone. However, in my insanity, I was incapable of realizing that there was a loving God guiding me to Alcoholics Anonymous. It was there that I learned of His powerful love. I am never alone. My God is always there with me. Moreover, He freely offers loving counsel and guidance. My problem is that the “his majesty, the baby” in me is so arrogant that he resists the Almighty and insists on his own lowly, miserable way. Maybe that is why the one thing I appreciate most about my Heavenly Father is that He loves me just as I am.

God bless you!
Joe W.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 04-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #18
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 18

PRECIOUS TREASURES

“...I have no other explanation for the many good things that have happened to me since I have been in (recovery) -- they came to me from a Greater Power.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 367, (Third Edition)

“Yes, the Lord pours down His blessings.” Psalm 85:12

For what it’s worth: I was convinced that God had destined me to die a lonely, miserable wreck of a man, with everything of value lost to alcoholism. I knew of no way to change and no way to recover all that was lost. However, a Higher Power did. Despite my resistance, He led me to sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous. Since then, I have grown to be a different man and all that I lost has been restored; not magically, but slowly and surely. Goodness and joy, that I believed would forever be denied me, has been piled high in my life. My Heavenly Father has granted me a life full of precious treasures.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #19
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 19

JUDGING OTHERS

"The inventory was ours, not the other man's." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 67

"Hypocrite! First get rid of the log from your own eye; then perhaps you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye." Luke 6:42

For what it’s worth: Harshly judging others was my custom for years, so I naturally carried that defect into recovery with me. However, sobriety and a bit of spiritual growth in Alcoholics Anonymous showed me that I am no one to judge others. My past, and even my arrogant defiance early in AA, screamed at me that, no matter what behavior or attitude someone exhibits, “there but for the Grace of God go I.”

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #20
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 20

FELLOWSHIP

“He (God) will show you how to create the fellowship you crave.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 164

For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.” Matthew 18:20

For what it’s worth: The loneliness of my alcoholism was unbearable. I may never be able to forget it. That may be the reason I deeply welcomed the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous. It was warm, welcoming, and I felt like I belonged. And, what a blessing to have been involved in starting a few AA meetings! Over the years of attending meetings, I have grown to feel God’s presence at AA meetings. For me, attending AA meetings is always therapeutic, and frequently a spiritual experience.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #21
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 21

PRAYER

“We shouldn't be shy on this matter of prayer.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 85:3

“Let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.” Hebrews 4:16

For what it’s worth: Prayer had always been negative to me. I would not pray even long into recovery in Alcoholics Anonymous. Fortunately, the example and suggestions of the praying people in AA had a positive impact on me, and I began to understand prayer as a way of growing closer to God by communicating with Him. As I grew spiritually, my prayers were more meaningful. Now, I enjoy talking with my Heavenly Father. Moreover, I have learned to be confident when praying, trusting that He really is listening and loves me unconditionally. My Heavenly Father always responds with some kind of blessing. So, I start my prayers thanking Him for His grace and blessings. I believe He likes that.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #22
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 22

A NEW HEART

“…He should understand that he must undergo a change of heart.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 143:1

“And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart.” Ezekiel 36:26

For what it’s worth: My old heart was certainly hardened and stubborn. A miracle was demanded to change it. And, sure enough, that is what happened. As I see in now, God guided me to Alcoholics Anonymous because He knew I would be welcomed there. He knew that the depth of sharing with one another that occurred there daily would warm my cold heart and open it to all manner of blessings. That is why I am grateful to the folks in AA. They knew how to reach out to a worthless drunk like me and touch me deeply.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #23
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 23

PRAY BOLDLY

“We usually conclude the period of meditation with a prayer that we be shown all through the day what our next step is to be, that we be given whatever we need to take care of such problems.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 87:1

“Let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.” Hebrews 4:16

For what it’s worth: God had already abandoned me, so I thought, so I would not go to Him for anything. That is until my alcoholism became so severe that I had to seek His help. All I had to do was barely acknowledge that I needed Him and He came running with open arms. I see now how often He has held me in those arms when I needed Him most. He has never failed me. Moreover, He never abandoned me; I left him. I pray boldly now each morning that I never leave Him again, as I would do if I picked up that first drink of alcohol.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #24
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 24

FORGIVENESS

“After making our review we ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 86:1

"You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea." Micah 7:19

For what it’s worth: Forgiveness was not in my vocabulary during my drinking years. I knew I would not be forgiven, and I was not about to forgive anyone. Once I was in recovery in Alcoholics Anonymous, one of the reasons I did not pray with you is the verse in the Lord’s Prayer that you said at meetings. That prayer was clear about forgiveness. I was not to be forgiven until I could forgive. That was difficult. It took years of sobriety, living the Twelve Steps day by day as best I could, and saying the Lord’s Prayer with all the sincerity I could muster. It has happened, thanks to the Grace of God. I have forgiven everyone in my past. Additionally, I ask my Heavenly Father each morning to allow those I have hurt to forgive me. I know now that God has forgiven me. And I am working on forgiving myself.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #25
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 25

A HARVEST OF BLESSING

“Follow the dictates of a Higher Power and you will presently live in a new and wonderful world, no matter what your present circumstances!” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 100:1

“So let's not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up.” Galatians 6:9

For what it’s worth: Giving up was what I did as a practicing alcoholic. Therefore, in recovery, my tendency was to run away from life’s difficulties. I had to learn to persevere, especially during difficult times. I may not have known much of God’s will, but I did realize that He did not want me to take that first drink. When I refused to drink to escape trying times, I was not only growing stronger, I was reaping a harvest of blessings.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #26
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 26

JOY AWAITS

“Do not be discouraged.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 60:1

“Because of the joy awaiting Him, He endured the cross, disregarding its shame.” Hebrews 12:2

For what it’s worth: Alcoholism saw to it that my life was a constant discouragement, but I had alcohol for escape. I had no endurance when I entered Alcoholics Anonymous, so how was I to persevere without alcohol? The fact that I did so is proof of miracles and the power of our Program. As I gained spiritual stamina, applying the Twelve Steps to my daily life, I was better able to deal with discouragements. And there have been many during my sober years. My main support during trying times is the example of others. I can be uplifted during the darkest of times when I think about the agony and shame others endured. And, like them, when I stand tall and firm, eternal joy awaits me when I arrive at our Happy Destiny to join so many of my dear friends.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #27
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 27

SHAME LOOSES ITS GRIP

“Alcohol was my master.” - Alcoholics Anonymous, page 8

"You know how prone these people are to evil.” - Exodus 32:22

For what it’s worth: It took years for the long-term results of daily alcohol induced oblivion to finally ware off. As I gradually became more alive and alert I had to face some painful reality: every thing of value was lost. Immediately my shame wants to blame me: it was because of a deep, dark evil in me. But how much was caused by my alcoholism? How much resulted from alcohol being mixed with the character defects that were already present? I’m still not sure. But the longer I am sober the more I see that it was not me, it was alcoholism. And each time God gives me a clear look at the impact of this insidious disease, a little more shame looses its grip on me.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #28
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 28

FREEDOM FORM THE RULE OF FEAR

“It (fear) was an evil and corroding thread; the fabric of our existence was shot through with it.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 67:3

“For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7

For what it’s worth: Step Four of Alcoholics Anonymous introduced me to the reality that the “corroding thread” of fear affected every aspect of my being. It dominated my thoughts and behavior even well into recovery. Years of sobriety and daily practice of the Twelve Steps gradually taught me that my Higher Power did not intend for me to be ruled by fear. He wanted me to be free of any master except Him. So God, with His power and love, provided a way to freedom from the rule of fear, namely Steps Five, Six and Seven.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #29
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 29

INSANITY

“Then came the insidious insanity of that first drink…” - Alcoholics Anonymous, page 8

“As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly.” - Proverbs 26:11

For what it’s worth: If I was seen being bitten by a rattle snake, and for treatment, getting another one to bit me, I would be locked away. But that is what I did. I was insane, drinking to relieve drinking, creating more problems to solve problems, pouring a depressant on top of depression. But even worse insanity awaits me. Now, having been given so many precious gifts, if I would take that first drink, I would me a mad fool. And, yet, only the grace of God stands between me and that first drink. Alcoholics Anonymous clearly tells me: “What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition.” So my first step into madness would be to neglect the maintenance of my spiritual condition today.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #30
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 30

A HEAVENLY FATHER

“He is the Father, and we are His children.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 62:3

“God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others.” 2 Corinthians 9:8

For what it’s worth: The concept I had of God was all wrong. I insanely believed He hated me and was punishing me for all the times I slapped Him in the face. Instead, He was waiting for me with open arms when alcoholism finally drove me to seek help. He was waiting for me in Alcoholics Anonymous, of all places. Once we were together there, all manner of blessings were given to me. First, I came to realize how closely God had stayed by my side during my drinking years. That is how I survived. In addition, He is the one who guided me to AA. He is the one who kept me sober, especially on all those days I really wanted to drink. God has shown Himself to me as a loving, merciful Heavenly Father, Who is gentle and generous with me. He is always there for me. Moreover, He uses both my blessings and my sufferings to benefit others.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Post New ThreadReply