Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > A.A. History With Dick B.

Share This Forum!  

A.A. History With Dick B. Dick B. is an active, recovered member of Alcoholics Anonymous; a retired attorney; and a Bible student. He has sponsored more than one hundred men in their recovery from alcoholism. Consistent with A.A.'s traditions of anonymity, he uses the pseudonym "Dick B." Please feel free to read and share in this forum.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 07-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #1
Nick L.

Default Sobriety & Chritianity

This question is for Dick B. or anybody who is both a bible student & a member of a 12 step program. I have been involved with the 12 steps since 1982 I had 14 years at one time and relapsed. I now have 7 years again. Another miraculous thing happen I became a Christian. I'm mean straight up bible thumping Christian. I believe everything in the Bible. I am a evangelical Christian. I know this question is going to create a multitude of different responses. The bibles says in no uncertain terms the only way to salvation and everlasting life is through Jesus. The question is do you believe that our 3 step and believing in God as we understand him is a loo-pole for addicts to receive everlasting life in heaven? I am really interested in people's response's who consistently study the bible. I would love to ask this question to Father Martin. Or maybe be directed to somebody like that. I have had most of my other questions answered. I love all people in recovery although as a Christian I am concerned.
Thanks,
Nick L.
Nick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2015, 05:22 AM   #2
honeydumplin

Any student of A.A history can see that some force,
or guided hand had to move certain events or pieces
of the puzzle into place, in order for the origination
to develop from a vast alcoholic doom, to what we all
are able to spiritually experience today.

The Armistice Day drunk that alas shattered
Bill Wilson's last stand of willpower. The visit
by his friend Ebby. The business trip to Akron
that failed, and yet allowed Bill to meet with Dr. Bob.
The common awareness of the Oxford Groups.
The backgrounds of Judea-Christian upbringing.

All had to basically align just right for the birth
of our fellowship to happen.

Whether we're human on spiritual paths,
or higher selves having human experiences,
the fact that A.A is all inclusive is indisputable.
The purpose behind the Twelve Traditions was to
not only limit the number of hoops we'd have
to jump through to get in, but to also provide us
with a way to love and tolerate one another.
That premise opens to door to a variety of faiths,
and creates a fellowship in which no one can be turned away.

Several recovering alcoholics have said that if believing
a particular way was a prerequisite for them to attend
their first A.A meeting that they wouldn't have made it.
And most all of them now say that the God of their understanding
is what keeps them sober. That is a what Alcoholics Anonymous
can do for a drunk willing to stay sober. That is God doing for us
what we can't.
honeydumplin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to honeydumplin For Sharing:
Old 08-01-2015, 03:15 AM   #3
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Dear Nick,

Thanks for sharing, I never noticed your post and I apologize for the delay.

Many alcoholics and addicts have found their way back to the church, I was one of them. For identification and people who understand my disease, I find understanding with people in the rooms of recovery. A lot of church members do not understand, while others are often caught up in their own addiction and not willing to be open to their own issues and not willing to acknowledge mine.

I was raised in the Gospel Halls and I found that AA has the same format and I felt comfortable there. When I joined an Associated Gospel Church in recovery, I took the minister sermon and applied the program to it.

I always knew Jesus Loved Me. Somewhere along the way, I figured I had lost that love and that I no longer qualified for it. I went back to church, had communion, it was my amend to God. I haven't been back too often since, because I don't like all the dogma, rituals, and hypocrisy that I found there. I like to keep it simple, I have a direct line and God and I have a little talk, sometimes several times a day.

I feel that when we surrender and ask for help, the Spirit of God enters us and it is up to us to build a relationship with that Spirit. It says in the Bible that Jesus sits on the right hand of God and intercedes for us. So when I pray, I will ask in His name. The way I see it, He has to go to the Source too.

I knew a young fellow about a year sober. He was saved. He believed Jesus made him all better and he didn't have to do anything. He was just F.I.N.E. He relapsed and died from his disease. His sponsor relapse too after 7 years of sobriety. Fortunately, he lived to make it back into the rooms of recovery. He substituted the church for his AA program. I find that my spiritual beliefs enhance my religious ones. An my religious views and beliefs enhance my spirituality and I am doubly blessed.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
Nick L.

Thank you for the responses. I am a Christian and also in recovery. There is no way I could make it without the 12 steps and the 12 step programs of NA and AA. I have always been fascinated with the history of AA. Since I posted the first post I have since purchased The Good Book and The Big Book. I am looking for a specific answer to a specific question. I have no doubt that without a 12 step program of recovery we have slim to none chance of recovery here. My question is this do you think you can get to heaven with a God of your understanding? The way I read the bible and study in small groups etc. is that the only way to the father is through Jesus, the cross, and resurrection. Do you think alcoholics have a loophole to the after life. I not trying to change the program. I am just curios as a bible student.
By the way Joe I got sober in OKC. I left in 1991 and moved SLC.
Thanks,
Nick L.
Nick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply