Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2014, 02:27 AM   #19
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default What causes a binge?

Quote:
Walk in dry places
____

What causes a binge?

Understanding Honesty.

In the foggy world of drinking, we were sometimes confused about cause and effect. A person might think of a binge as having been caused by a fight with his or her spouse. The real truth, however, is that he or she provoked the fight in order to get out of the house to launch a drinking spree. It was really the need to drink that caused the fight, and not the reverse, as the alcoholic believes.

We must always understand that the compulsion to drink is the root cause of every binge. We may blame certain things that seemed to trigger a drunk, but it is always our own compulsion that gives force to such an action. Non-alcoholics have the same human experiences we do, but such things do not cause them to have binges.

Seasoned AA members are trained by they experience to detect and defuse these false causes. "There are excuses but never good reasons for drinking," they say. We always drink because we want to drink., not because another's actions forced us into it.

Once we've established real sobriety, we also learn to identify the excuses and devices that helped us blame our binges on other people and conditions. We learn that we are always responsible for maintaining our own sobriety.

I intend to get along with everybody today and to meet all conditions and circumstances in a mature manner. Nothing can trigger a binge but my own desire to take a drink.
From an old site of Bluidkiti's

This reminds me of a co-sponsor I had for several years. She couldn't be my sponsor because she was a counsellor in the treatment center I went to. I had her in my life, because she was a Native American and I connected to her culture.

She asked a fellow client, "What does binge taste like?" It was one of the reasons I was attracted to her. She was very old school. She was short and had the tiniest hands that seemed as though they could move mountains.

One of my fellow clients was having a difficult and she asked me to go with a walk to see if she would open up to me. She didn't think she was an alcoholic. When we got back, she came to the realization that she too belonged and she later became my next door neighbour. You just never know.

The ultimate excuse, the devil made me do it.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply