Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 01-16-2018, 06:13 AM   #16
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

January 16

Possible Existence
As soon as we admitted the possible existence of a Creative Intelligence, a Spirit
of the Universe underlying the totality of things, we began to be possessed of
a new sense of power and direction, provided we took other simple steps.
We found that God does not make too hard terms with those who seek Him.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 46

Thought to Ponder
God seldom becomes a reality until God becomes a necessity.

AA-related 'Alconym'
F A I T H = For All I Trust Him.

~*~A.A. Thoughts For The Day~*~

Reminder
We constantly remind ourselves
we are no longer running the show,
humbly saying to ourselves many times each day
"Thy will be done."
We are then in much less danger of excitement,
fear, anger, worry, self-pity, or foolish decisions.
We become much more efficient.
We do not tire so easily,
for we are not burning up energy foolishly
as we did when we were trying to arrange life
to suit ourselves.
1976, 2001 AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous, pp. 87-8

Thought to Consider . . .
It works -- it really does.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
F I T = Faith, Intuition, Trust.

*~*~*~*~*^Just For Today!^*~*~*~*~*

How
>From "Physician, Heal Thyself!":
"What is this power that A.A. possesses? This curative power? I don't know what it is. I suppose the doctor might say,
This is psychosomatic medicine. I suppose the psychiatrist might say, This is benevolent interpersonal relations. I
suppose others would say, "This is group psychotherapy."
"To me it is God."
2001 AAWS, Inc.; Alcoholics Anonymous, pg. 308

*~*~*~*~*^ Grapevine Quote ^*~*~*~*~*

"Sponsorship is a bridge to trusting the human race, the very race we once resigned from. In learning to trust, we are
strengthening our sobriety."
Grand Island, Neb., February 1984
"A Means to a Beginning,"
One On One: AA Sponsorship in Action

~*~*~*~*^ Big Book & Twelve N' Twelve Quotes of the Day ^*~*~*~*~*

"A body badly burned by alcohol does not often recover overnight nor do twisted thinking and depression vanish in a
twinkling. We are convinced that a spiritual mode of living is a most powerful health restorative."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, The Family Afterward, Page 133~

"Neither could we reduce our self-centeredness much by wishing or
trying on our own power. We had to have God's help."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, How It Works, pg. 62

"At these critical moments, if we remind ourselves that "it is better to comfort than to be comforted, to understand than
to be understood, to love than to be loved," we will be following the intent of Step Eleven."
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 103 (Step Eleven)

Misc. AA Literature - Quote

Most people feel more secure on the twenty-four-hour basis than they do in the resolution that they will never drink again.
Most of them have broken too many resolutions. It's really a matter of personal choice; every A.A. has the privilege of
interpreting the program as he likes.
'Personally, 1 take the attitude that I intend never to drink again. This is somewhat different from saying, 'I will never drink
again.' The latter attitude sometimes gets people in trouble because it is undertaking on a personal basis to do what we
alcoholics never could do. It is too much an act of will and leaves too little room for the idea that God will release us from
the drink obsession provided we follow the A.A. program.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, help me to value my thoughts, words, and deeds. If at the close of the day, there
may be one who has been wounded by my injustice, may I be willing to make quick atonement. May I avoid the ways
and words that hurt; and not only wish rightly and work rightly, but speak to enrich others with tenderness. Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2018, 05:59 AM   #17
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

January 17

No Reservation

We have seen the truth demonstrated again and again:
"Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic."
Commencing to drink after a period of sobriety, we are in a short time as bad as ever.
If we are planning to stop drinking, there must be no reservation of any kind,
nor any lurking notion that someday we will be immune to alcohol.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 33

Thought to Ponder
When we try to control our drinking, we have already lost control.

AA-related 'Alconym'
A A = Alcoholic's Answer.

Coping
God willing, we members of AA may never again
have to deal with drinking,
but we have to deal with sobriety every day.
How do we do it?
By learning -- through practicing the Twelve Steps
and through sharing at meetings --
how to cope with the problems
that we looked to booze to solve, back in our drinking days. . .
We learn how to level out the emotional swings
that got us into trouble
both when we were up and when we were down.
c. 1976 AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 560
c. 2001 AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 558

The ankle-biters of everyday struggles will eat away at me
unless I go to meetings and share.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
H E A R T = Healing, Enjoying, And Recovering, Together

Others
>From "The Three Legacies of Alcoholics Anonymous":
"We also had to determine how best to co-operate with the press, radio, motion pictures, and more recently television;
how to deal with employers who wanted special help; what would be the right attitude toward the field of alcohol
education, research, and rehabilitation, private and public.
"Finding answers to these public relations puzzlers has been a long process. After much trial and error, sometimes
punctuated by painful mistakes, the attitudes and practices that would work best for us emerged. The basic ones can be
seen today in the A.A. Traditions: 100 per cent [sic] anonymity at the public level; no use of the A.A. name for the benefit
of other causes, however worthy; no endorsements or alliances; the carrying of the message as the single purpose for
Alcoholics Anonymous; no professionalism; public relations by the principle of attraction rather than promotion these
were some of the hard-learned lessons."
2001 AAWS, Inc.; Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, pgs. 197-98

"When things go well, we must never fall into the error of believing that no great ill can befall us. Nor should we accuse
ourselves of 'negative thinking' when we insist on facing the destructive forces in and around us, both realistically and
effectively. Vigilance will always be the price of survival."
AA Co-Founder, Bill W., November 1960
"Freedom Under God: The Choice Is Ours,"
The Language of the Heart

"Everybody knows that those in bad health, and those who seldom play,
do not laugh much. So let each family play together or separately as
much as their circumstances warrant. We are sure God wants us to be
happy, joyous, and free."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, The Family Afterward, pg. 132~

We realized that the people who wronged us were perhaps spiritually sick.
- Pg 66, Alcoholics Anonymous

We shall look for progress, not for perfection.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 91

The perverse wish to hide a bad motive underneath a good one permeates human affairs from top to bottom. This subtle and elusive kind of self-righteousness can underlie the smallest act or thought. Learning daily to spot, admit, and correct these flaws is the essence of character-building and good living. The deception of others is nearly always rooted in the deception of ourselves. Somehow, being alone with God doesn't seem as embarrassing as facing up to another person. Until we actually sit
down and talk aloud about what we have so long hidden, our willingness to clean house is still largely theoretical. When we are honest with another person, it confirms that we have been honest with ourselves and with God.

Prayer for the Day: I've Found A Reason - Dear God, as long as my life was preoccupied with my own problems, my own unwillingness and dark moods, I was critical, insensitive, rigid, and defiant. But when I honestly faced my defects and failures and the worst was known and surrendered to You, the whole nature of living changed. I am no longer the emotional center of all things and no longer take everything as personal to myself. Ive found a reason for all the suffering through which I have passed. It is to be used in understanding and helping others. Out of the darkness comes light.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #18
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

January 18

Blind
For a brief moment, I had needed and wanted God.
There had been a humble willingness to have Him with me—and He came.
But soon the sense of His presence had been blotted out by worldly clamors,
mostly those within myself. And so it had been ever since.
How blind I had been.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, pp. 12 - 13

Thought to Ponder
Today, my brain has cleared with the grace of clarity.

AA-related 'Alconym'
H O P E = Heart Open; Please Enter.

Housecleaning
If we skip this vital step [Step Five],
we may not overcome drinking.
Time after time newcomers have tried to keep to themselves
certain facts about their lives.
Trying to avoid this humbling experience,
they have turned to easier methods.
Almost invariably they got drunk.
Having persevered with the rest of the program,
they wondered why they fell.
We think the reason is that they never completed
their housecleaning.
c. 1976, 2001 AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous, pp. 72-3

There's no elevator, you have to take the Steps.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
N U T S = Not Using The Steps.

Roles
>From "Something Was Wrong":
"I had been so elated by that wonderful experience on the road at night that I wanted to stay up in a cloud with God. But this was not to be. It was my place to be down among the suffering alcoholics, not up in a cloud. As long as I keep my feet on the ground, among the suffering, God will come down and remain always with me. -- Glasgow, Scotland"
1973 AAWS, Inc.; Came to Believe, 30th printing 2004, pg. 75

"Life is travel -- enjoy the journey, bumpy roads and all."
New York, N.Y., May 1977
"You and I Need Each Other"
AA Grapevine

"'There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which
is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in
everlasting ignorance, that principle is contempt prior to
investigation.'"
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Appendice II, Spiritual Experience, pg. 568~

"Lack of power, that was our dilemma. We had to find a power by
which we could live, and it had to be a Power greater than
ourselves. Obviously. But where and how were we to find this Power?
Well, that's exactly what this book is about."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, We Agnostics, pg. 45

Having opened our channel as best we can, we try to ask for those right things of which we and others are in the greatest need.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 102

Dr. Bob was my constant companion and partner in the great A.A. adventure. As the physician and great human being that he was, he chose work with others as his prime A.A. vocation and achieved a record which, in quantity and in quality, none will ever surpass. Assisted by the incomparable Sister Ignatia at St. Thomas Hospital in Akron, he - without charge - medically treated and spiritually infused five thousand sufferers.
'In all the stress and strain of A.A.'s pioneering time, no hard word ever passed between us. For this, I can thankfully say that the credit was all his.'
I took my leave of Dr. Bob, knowing that he was to undergo a serious operation. The old, broad smile was on his face as he said almost jokingly, 'Remember, Bill, let's not louse this thing up. Let's keep it simple!' I turned away, unable to say a word. That was the last time I ever saw him.

Prayer for the Day: We Need Only Obey - Dear God, I realize the whole course of things goes to teach me faith. I need only obey. There is guidance for me, and by listening I shall hear the right word. I will place myself in the middle of the stream of power and wisdom that flows from You; I will place myself in the center of that flood. And then I may know the truth, the right, and the contentment. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Old 01-19-2018, 06:32 AM   #19
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

January 19

Consciousness
Leaving aside the drink question, they tell why living was so unsatisfactory.
They show how the change came over them. When many hundreds of people are able
to say that the consciousness of the Presence of God is today the most important
fact of their lives, they present a powerful reason why one should have faith.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 51

Thought to Ponder
Hope leads to faith if you let it.

AA-related 'Alconym'
F A I T H = Found Always In Trusting Him.

Choice

The fact is that most alcoholics,
for reasons yet obscure,
have lost the power of choice in drink.
Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent.
We are unable, at certain times,
to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force
the memory of the suffering and humiliation
of even a week or a month ago.
We are without defense against the first drink.
c. 1976, 2001 AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 24

Just for today, I choose not to drink.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*

A A = Absolute Abstinence

Diverse
From "What We Need Each Other":
For years, whenever I reflected on Tradition Three ('The only requirement for A.A. membership is a desire to stop
drinking'), I thought it valuable only to newcomers. It was their guarantee that no one could bar them from A.A. Today I
feel enduring gratitude for the spiritual development the Tradition has brought me. Charlotte, the atheist, showed me
higher standards of ethics and honor; Clay, of another race, taught me patience; Winslow, who is gay, led me by
example into true compassion; Young Megan says that seeing me at meetings, sober thirty years, keeps her coming
back. Tradition Three insured that we would get what we need each other."
1990 AAWS, Inc.; Daily Reflections, pg. 33

"I am responsible for reporting for duty and making the effort to overcome adversity, and in so doing to overcome
myself."
Van Nuys,Calif., November 1966
"Responsibility Is the Name of the Game,"
AA Grapevine

When we became alcoholics, crushed by a self-imposed crisis we could not postpone or evade, we had to fearlessly
face the proposition that either God is everything or else He is nothing. God either is, or He isn't. What was our choice to
be? Pg. 53 - We Agnostics

"It is plain that a life which includes deep resentment leads only to
futility and unhappiness. To the precise extent that we permit
these, do we squander the hours that might have been worth while."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, How It Works, pg. 66

I explained what a wonderful Fellowship we had, how well we understood each other.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 152

Disagreeable or unexpected problems are not the only ones that call for self-control. We must be quite as careful when
we begin to achieve some measure of importance and material success. For no people have ever loved personal
triumphs more than we have loved them; we drank of success as of a wine which could never fail to make us-feel
elated. Blinded by prideful self-confidence, we were apt to play the big shot.
Now that we're in A.A. and sober, winning back the esteem of our friends and business associates, we find that we still
need to exercise special vigilance. As an insurance against the dangers of big-shot-ism, we can often check ourselves
by remembering that we are today sober only by the grace of God and that any success we may be having is far more
His success than ours.

Prayer for the Day: Accepting Every Task - Dear God, Help me find the strength to be effective and accept
responsibility. I am asking YOU for the strength I need each day. You have proven in countless lives that for very day I
live, YOU will give me that necessary power. I must face every challenge that comes to me during the day sure that
YOU will give me the strength to face it. I pray that I may accept every task as a challenge. I know I can't wholly fail if you
are with me.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:57 AM   #20
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

January 20

Laughter
So we think cheerfulness and laughter make for usefulness. Outsiders are sometimes
shocked when we bust into merriment over a seemingly tragic experience out of the past.
But why shouldn’t we laugh? We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 132

Thought to Ponder
Laughter is the sound of recovery.

AA-related 'Alconym'
H J F = Happy, Joyous, Free.

Communication
From the beginning,
communication in AA has been
no ordinary transmission of helpful ideas and attitudes.
Because of our kinship in suffering,
and because our common means of deliverance
are effective for ourselves only when constantly
carried to others,
our channels of contact have always been charged
with the language of the heart.
c. 1967 AAWS, As Bill Sees It, p. 195

Listening feeds the spirit.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
C A R E = Comforting And Reassuring Each other

Obedience
Tradition One: Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon A.A. unity.
"Every newcomer, every friend who looks at A.A. for the first time is greatly puzzled. They see liberty verging on license,
yet they recognize at once that A.A. has an irresistible strength of purpose and action....The A.A. member has to
conform to the principles of recovery. His life depends upon obedience to spiritual principles."
1981, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, pages 129-30

"The language of AA is the language of self-discovery, of speculation, of wonder. It has a dual reality: While it describes
experience, it also creates experience, and allows each member to grow in the search for personal meaning."
Thornbury, Ontario, August 1984
"The Language of AA"
AA Grapevine

"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely,
or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take,
you are probably alcoholic. If that be the case, you may be
suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will
conquer."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, We Agnostics, pg. 44~

"We think it no concern of ours what religious bodies our members
identify themselves with as individuals. This should be an entirely
personal affair which each one decides for himself in the light of
past associations, or his present choice."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, There Is A Solution, pg. 28

God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference.'
We treasure our 'Serenity Prayer' because it brings a new light to us that can dissipate our oldtime and nearly fatal habit of fooling ourselves.
In the radiance of this prayer we see that defeat, rightly accepted, need be no disaster. We now know that we do not have to run away, nor ought we again try to overcome adversity by still another bulldozing power drive that can only push up obstacles before us faster than they can be taken down.

Prayer for the Day: I've Found A Reason - Dear God, As long as my life was preoccupied with my own problems, my own unwillingness and dark moods, I was critical, insensitive, rigid, and defiant. But when I honestly faced my defects and failures and the worst was known and surrendered to You, the whole nature of living changed. I am no longer the emotional center of all things and no longer take everything as personal to myself. I've found a reason for all the suffering through which I have passed. It is to be used in understanding and helping others. Out of the darkness comes light.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:29 AM   #21
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

January 21

This Solution
But the ex-problem drinker who has found this solution,
who is properly armed with facts about himself,
can generally win the entire confidence of another alcoholic
in a few hours. Until such an understanding is reached,
little or nothing can be accomplished.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 18

Thought to Ponder
Together we can do what we could never do alone.

AA-related 'Alconym'
A L C O H O L I C S = A Life Centered On Helping Others Live In Complete Sobriety.

Illusion
No person likes to think he is bodily
and mentally different from his fellows.
Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers
have been characterized by countless vain attempts
to prove we could drink like other people.
The idea that somehow, someday he will control
and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession
of every abnormal drinker.
The persistence of this illusion is astonishing.
Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.
c. 1976, 2001 AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 30

Thought to Consider . . . .
The two most dangerous words
in a recovering alcoholic's vocabulary are,
"I'm different."

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
A A = Absolute Abstinence

Experience
From "More about Alcoholism":
"To us it is not far-fetched, for this kind of thinking has been characteristic of every single one of us. There was always
the curious mental phenomenon that parallel with our sound reasoning there inevitably ran some insanely trivial excuse
for taking the first drink. Our sound reasoning failed to hold us in check. The insane idea won out. Next day we would
ask ourselves, in all earnestness and sincerity, how it could have happened."
2001 AAWS, Inc., Fourth Edition; Alcoholics Anonymous, pg. 37

"We shall always have to deal with the fearful forces which are released when the human ego runs amok -- the same forces that are shattering the world of our time. Deliver us from temptation must therefore continue to be a prime ingredient of our every attitude, practice, and prayer."
The Language of the Heart3

"'My old manner of life was by no means a bad one, but I would not
exchange its best moments for the worst I have now. I would not go
back to it even if I could.'"
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, More About Alcoholism, pg. 43~

"Our liquor was but a symptom."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, How It Works, pg. 64~\

The actual experience of meditation and prayer across the centuries is, of course, immense.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 98

Each of us in turn - that is, the member who gets the most out of the program - spends a very large amount of time on
Twelfth Step work in the early years. That was my case, and perhaps I should not have stayed sober with less work.
'However, sooner or later most of us are presented with other obligations - to family, friends, and country. As you will
remember, the Twelfth Step also refers to 'practicing these principles in all our affairs.' Therefore, I think your choice of
whether to take a particular Twelfth Step job is to be found in your own conscience. No one else can tell you for certain
what you ought to do at a particular time.
'I just know that you are expected, at some point, to do more than carry the message of A.A. to other alcoholics. In A.A.
we aim not only for sobriety - we try again to become citizens of the world that we rejected, and of the world that once
rejected us. This is the ultimate demonstration toward which Twelfth Step work is the first but not the final step.

Prayer for the Day: Lord, inspire me to live in such a way that I always give of my best and be welcoming and generous
towards others. Amen.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:24 AM   #22
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

January 22

Alcoholic Mind

They had said that though I did raise a defense, it would one day give way
before some trivial reason for having a drink. Well, just that did happen
and more, for what I had learned of alcoholism did not occur to me at all.
I knew from that moment that I had an alcoholic mind.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 42

Thought to Ponder
The ultimate defense against the first drink is a spiritual one.

AA-related 'Alconym'
T H I N K = Thank Heavens, I Now Know.

Vigilance
Deliver us from temptation
must continue to be a prime ingredient of our every
attitude, practice, and prayer.
When things go well, we must never fall into the error
of believing that no great ill can possibly befall us.
Nor should we accuse ourselves of
"negative thinking" when we insist on facing
the destructive forces in and around us,
both realistically and effectively.
Vigilance will always be the price of survival.
Bill W., November 1960
c. 1988 AAGrapevine, The Language of the Heart, pp. 316-17

Adversity introduces us to ourselves

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
P E A C E = Providing Experienced Attitude Changes Every day.

Bottoms
Step Two: Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
"Why all this insistence that every A.A. must hit bottom first? The answer is that few people will sincerely try to practice
the A.A. program unless they have hit bottom. For practicing A.A.'s remaining eleven Steps means the adoption of
attitudes and actions that almost no alcoholic who is still drinking can dream of taking. Who wishes to be rigorously
honest and tolerant? Who wants to confess his faults to another and make restitution for harm done? Who cares
anything about a Higher Power, let alone meditation and prayer?"
1952, AAWS, Inc.; Printed 2005; Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, pg. 24

"By helping to insure the sobriety of others to come, we insure our own sobriety today."
Rochester, N.Y., October 1987
"The Rise and Fall of a Home Group,"
The Home Group: Heartbeat of AA

"Another principle we observe carefully is that we do not relate
intimate experiences of another person unless we are sure he would
approve. We find it better, when possible, to stick to our own
stories. A man may criticize or laugh at himself and it will affect
others favorably, but criticism or ridicule coming from another often
produces the contrary effect."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, The Family Afterward, pg. 125

"We have seen the truth demonstrated again and again: 'Once an
alcoholic, always an alcoholic.' Commencing to drink after a period
of sobriety, we are in a short time as bad as ever."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, More About Alcoholism, pg. 33

Where other people were concerned, we had to drop the word 'blame' from our speech and thought.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 47

The chief activator of our defects has been self-centered fear - primarily fear that we would lose something we already
possessed or would fail to get something we demanded. Living upon a basis of unsatisfied demands, we were in a state
of continual disturbance and frustration. Therefore, no peace was to be had unless we could find a means of reducing
these demands.
For all its usual destructiveness, we have found that fear can be the starting point for better things. Fear can be a
steppingstone to prudence and to a decent respect for others. It can point the path to justice, as well as to hate. And the
more we have of respect and justice, the more we shall begin to find the love which can suffer much, and yet be freely
given. So fear need not always be destructive, because the lessons of its consequences can lead us to positive values.

Prayer for the Day: God our Father, you call each of us by name, and you treasure each of us individually as though no
one else exists. Inspire us to respect and value each person who comes into our lives this day. Amen.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:00 AM   #23
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

January 23

The First Milestone
When we have finally admitted without reservation that we are powerless over alcohol,
we are apt to breathe a great sigh of relief, saying, “Well, thank God that's over!
I'll never have to go through that again!” Then we learn, often to our consternation,
that this is only the first milestone on the new road we are walking.
- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 73

Tolerance
Finally, we begin to see that all people,
including ourselves,
are to some extent emotionally ill
as well as frequently wrong,
and then we approach true tolerance
and see what real love for our fellows actually means.
It will become more and more evident as we go forward
that it is pointless to become angry,
or to get hurt by people who, like us,
are suffering from the pains of growing up.
c. 1952 AAWS, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 92

Honesty gets us sober, tolerance keeps us sober.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
P U T = Patience, Understanding, Tolerance

Involvement
>From "The Keys of the Kingdom":
"A complete change takes place in our approach to life. Where we used to run from responsibility, we find ourselves
accepting it with gratitude that we can successfully shoulder it. Instead of wanting to escape some perplexing problem,
we experience the thrill of challenge in the opportunity it affords for another application of A.A. techniques, and we find
ourselves tackling it with surprising vigor."
2001 AAWS, Inc., Fourth Edition; Alcoholics Anonymous, pgs. 275-76

"Sincerity of purpose, humility in the knowledge of our own power to help, and confidence in our understanding of our
capacities in AA are likely to help in working with others."
St. Paul, Minn., December 1945
St. Paul's Four Discussion Groups

"Most alcoholics owe money. We do not dodge our creditors. Telling
them what we are trying to do, we make no bones about our drinking;
they usually know it anyway, whether we think so or not. Nor are we
afraid of disclosing our alcoholism on the theory it may cause
financial harm. Approached in this way, the most ruthless creditor
will sometimes surprise us. Arranging the best deal we can we let
these people know we are sorry. Our drinking has made us slow to
pay.
We must lose our fear of creditors no matter how far we have to go,
for we are liable to drink if we are afraid to face them."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 78~

"Step Eleven suggests prayer and meditation. We shouldn't be shy
on this matter of prayer. Better men than we are using it constantly."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 85

The key words 'entirely ready' underline the fact that we want to aim at the very best we know or can learn.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 65

We found that we had indeed been worshipers. What a state of mental goose flesh that used to bring on! Had we not
variously worshiped people, sentiment, things, money, and ourselves?
And then, with a better motive, had we not worshipfully beheld the sunset, the sea, or a flower? Who of us had not loved
something or somebody? Were not these things the tissue out of which our lives were constructed? Did not these
feelings, after all, determine the course of our existence?
It was impossible to say we had no capacity for faith, or love, or worship. In one form or another, we had been living by
faith and little else.

Prayer for the Day: God, I pray that I may not overlook thy blessings of beauty while endeavoring to perform my duties. Guide me that I may not struggle to be where thou wouldst not have me go. Amen.
Thought to Ponder
Sobriety is not a destination, but an everlasting journey.

AA-related 'Alconym'
F R E E = Fortunately, Recovery Enhances Everything.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:36 AM   #24
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

January 24

Step Twelve

Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry
this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

"If the day comes that I do drink again, it will not be because I had no alternative.
It will be because I had an alternative, provided by a loving God,
but was unwilling to use it."
- AA Grapevine, October 1994,
"Lock Me Up, Please"

Thought to Ponder
It's not what I know in recovery that keeps me sober.
It's what I do that keeps me sober.

AA-related 'Alconym'
P R O G R A M = People Relying On God Relaying A Message.

Belief
Here are thousands of men and women, worldly indeed.
They flatly declare that since they have come to believe
in a Power greater than themselves,
to take a certain attitude toward that Power,
and to do certain simple things,
there has been a revolutionary change
in their way of living and thinking.
In the face of collapse and despair,
in the face of the total failure of their human resources,
they found that a new power, peace, happiness,
and sense of direction flowed into them.
c. 2001AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 50

Newcomers are the lifeblood of the program.
But our old-timers are the arteries.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
P R O G R A M = People Relying On God Relay A Message

Visibility
>From "The Three Legacies of Alcoholics Anonymous":
"The 1941-1945 period brought still other developments. Our downtown Vesey Street office was moved to 415 Lexington
Avenue, just opposite Grand Central [train] Station. We made this move because the need for serving the many A.A.
travelers through New York had become urgent. Our new location near Grand Central brought us into contact with
visitors who, for the first time, began to see Alcoholics Anonymous as a vision for the whole world."
2001 AAWS, Inc.; Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, pgs. 198-99

"I try to accept reality instead of trying to control it. When I make that adjustment, the struggle ends."
El Granada, Calif., March 2003
"How an Atheist Works the Steps,"
Beginners' Book:
Getting and Staying Sober in AA

"Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a
fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from
care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will
mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your
existence lie ahead. Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, A Vision For You, pg. 152~

"In thinking about our day we may face indecision. We may not be
able to determine which course to take. Here we ask God for
inspiration, an intuitive thought or a decision. We relax and take
it easy. We don't struggle. We are often surprised how the right
answers come after we have tried this for a while."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 86

Then fear, in turn, generates more character defects.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 49

In the beginning, it was four whole years before A.A. brought permanent sobriety to even one alcoholic woman. Like the
'high bottoms,' the women said they were different; A.A. couldn't be for them. But as the communication was perfected,
mostly by the women themselves, the picture changed.
This process of identification and transmission has gone on and on. The Skid-Rower said he was different. Even more
loudly, the socialite (or Park Avenue stumblebum) said the same - so did the artists and the professional people, the
rich, the poor, the religious, the agnostic, the Indians and the Eskimos, the veterans, and the prisoners.
But nowadays all of these, and legions more, soberly talk about how very much alike all of us alcoholics are when we
admit that the chips are finally down.

Prayer for the Day: Thank you, God, for all you have given me, for all you have taken from me, and for what you have left to me.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:56 AM   #25
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

January 25

Self-appraisal

In actual practice, we usually find a solitary self-appraisal insufficient.
Many of us thought it necessary to go much further. We will be more reconciled to
discussing ourselves with another person when we see good reasons why we should do so.
The best reason first: If we skip this vital step, we may not overcome drinking.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 72

Thought to Ponder
I cannot mend if I bend the truth.

AA-related 'Alconym'
H O W N O W = Honest, Open-minded, Willing; No Other Way.

Family Matters
Now and then the family will be plagued
by specters from the past,
for the drinking career of almost every alcoholic
has been marked by escapades, funny, humiliating,
shameful or tragic.
The first impulse will be to bury these skeletons
in a dark closet and padlock the door.
The family may be possessed by the idea
that future happiness can be based only upon
forgetfulness of the past.
We think that such a view is self-centered
and in direct conflict with the new way of living.
c. 2001AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous, pp. 123-4

The spiritual life is not a theory.
We have to live it.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
RACING = Real Alcoholics Centered Inward Needing God

Acceptance
>From "'No Man Is an Island'":
"I needed to look no further than the Twelve Steps and the powerful wording of our Serenity Prayer, 'to accept the things
we cannot change.' With the tools and guideposts of Alcoholics Anonymous, we can learn a little of this precious gift
our gateway to human spirituality. " New York, New York, USA"
1973 AAWS, Inc.; Came to Believe, 30th printing 2004, pg. 120

"Genuine peace will always be a chief ingredient of AA's freedom. But let none suppose that we shrink from major
conflict only because we are afraid. Nowadays we believe we keep the peace because we love each other."

"For the type of alcoholic who is able and willing get well, little
charity, in the ordinary sense of the word, is need or wanted. The men
who cry for money and shelter before conquering alcohol, are on the
wrong track."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Working With Others, pg. 97

"...we aren't a glum lot. If newcomers could see no joy or fun
in our existence, they wouldn't want it. We absolutely insist on
enjoying life."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, The Family Afterward, pg. 132

The Seventh Step is where we make the change in our attitude which permits us, with humility as our guide, to move out
from ourselves toward others and toward God.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 76

In the first days of A.A., I wasn't much bothered about the areas of life in which I was standing still. There was always the
alibi: 'After all,' I said to myself, 'I'm far too busy with much more important matters.' That was my near perfect
prescription for comfort and complacency.
How many of us would presume to declare, ' Well, I'm sober and I'm happy. What more can I want, or do? I'm fine the
way I am. ' We know that the price of such self-satisfaction is an inevitable backslide, punctuated at some point by a
very rude awakening. We have to grow or else deteriorate. For us, the status quo can only be for today, never for
tomorrow. Change we must; we cannot stand still.

Prayer for the Day: Father, I thank you for giving me the grace to believe in you and your Word even in the midst of the
storms of life, providing a place of rest for me. In the midst of seemingly impossible demands, deadlines and tasks at
hand, my heart is steadfast, fixed trusting in you. Your strength and boldness are released to me as I confidently rest in
your promises. In your presence I am refreshed, restored and renewed in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:07 AM   #26
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

January 26

Three Pertinent Ideas

Our description of the alcoholic, the chapter to the agnostic, and our
personal adventures before and after make clear three pertinent ideas:
(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.
(b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
(c) That God could and would if He were sought.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 60

Thought to Ponder
I can't, God can, I'll ask Him to.

AA-related 'Alconym'
W I L L I N G = When I Live Life, I Need God.

Prayer

"In AA we have found that the actual
good results of prayer are beyond question.
They are matters of knowledge and experience.
All those who have persisted have found
strength not ordinarily their own.
They have found wisdom beyond their
usual capability.
And they have increasingly found a peace of mind
which can stand firm in the face of
difficult circumstances."

Bill W., Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 104
As Bill Sees It, p. 127

Trying to pray is praying.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
PUSH
Pray Until Something Happens

Bottom
>From "Total Acceptance":
"The double standard that held me captive as an active alcoholic also filled me with terror and confusion: 'If I don't get a
drink I'm going to die,' competed with 'If I continue drinking it's going to kill me.' Both compulsive thoughts pushed me
ever closer to the bottom. That bottom produced a total acceptance of my alcoholism with no reservations whatsoever
and one that was absolutely essential for my recovery. It was a dilemma unlike anything I had ever faced, but as I found
out later on, a necessary one if I was to succeed in this program."
1990 AAWS, Inc.; Daily Reflections, pg. 13

"Perhaps for some, 'How It Work' has become a tired, overworked bit of dogma, an opportunity to daydream. But not for
this alcoholic. I get more out of those words with each passing day. The words don't change, but I do."
Paradise, Calif.,October 2003
"How It Work' Works for Me,"
Beginners' Book:

"Our description of the alcoholic, the chapter to the agnostic, and
our personal adventure before and after make clear three pertinent
ideas:
(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our
own lives.
(b) That probably no human power could have relieved
our alcoholism.
(c) That God could and would if He were sought."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, How It Works, Page 60~

"Those of us who have spent much time in the world of spiritual make-
believe have eventually seen the childishness of it. This dream
world has been replaced by a great sense of purpose, accompanied by a
growing consciousness of the power of God in our lives. We have come
to believe He would like us to keep our heads in the clouds with Him,
but that our feet ought to be firmly planted on earth. That is where
our fellow travelers are, and that is where our work must be done.
These are the realities for us. We have found nothing incompatible
between a powerful spiritual experience and a life of sane and happy
usefulness."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, The Family Afterward, pg. 130~

We perceive that only through utter defeat are we able to take our first steps toward liberation and strength.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 21

The more we become willing to depend upon a Higher Power, the more independent we actually are. Therefore, dependence as A.A. practices it is really a means of gaining true independence of the spirit.
At the level of everyday living, it is startling to discover how dependent we really are, and how unconscious of that dependence. Every modern house has electric wiring carrying power and light to its interior. By accepting with delight our dependence upon this marvel of science, we find ourselves personally more independent, more comfortable and secure. Power flows just where it is needed. Silently and surely, electricity, that strange energy so few people understand, meets our simplest daily needs.
Though we readily accept this principle of healthy dependence in many of our temporal affairs, we often fiercely resist the identical principle when asked to apply it as a means of growth in the life of the spirit. Clearly, we shall never know freedom under God until we try to seek His will for us. The choice is ours.

Prayer for the Day: Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, oh Lord. Let your Holy Spirit guide me in my prayer and in thought, and grant me the grace to listen and hear your Word. Soften my heart, that I may be directed by your truth, and not the devices of my body and mind. In the name of Christ I ask this, Amen.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:15 AM   #27
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

January 27

Inner Resource
What often takes place in a few months could seldom have been accomplished
by years of self-discipline. With few exceptions our members find that
they have tapped an unsuspected inner resource which they presently identify
with their own conception of a Power greater than themselves.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, pp. 567 - 568

Thought to Ponder
Trust God. Clean house. Help others.

AA-related 'Alconym'
F A I T H = Facing All, Intuitively Trusting Him.

Ghosts
AA experience has taught us we cannot live alone
with our pressing problems and the character defects
which cause or aggravate them.
If we have swept the searchlight of Step Four
back and forth over our careers,
and it has revealed in stark relief those experiences
we'd rather not remember,
if we have come to know how wrong thinking and action
have hurt us and others,
then the need to quit living by ourselves
with those tormenting ghosts of yesterday
gets more urgent than ever.
We have to talk to somebody about them.
c. 1952 AAWS, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 55

Trust God. Clean house. Help others.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
Y A N A = You Are Not Alone

Unity
Tradition One: Our common welfare should come first;
personal recovery depends upon A.A. unity.
"Most individuals cannot recover unless there IS a group. Realization dawns that he is but a small part of a great whole;
that no personal sacrifice is too great for preservation of the Fellowship. He learns that the clamor of desires and
ambitions within him must be silenced whenever these could damage the group. It becomes plain that the group must
survive or the individual will not."
1981, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 130

"I didn't need to learn how to meditate before meditating. It turned out to be one of those learn-as-you-go things -- just as
learning how to stay sober is part of staying sober a day at a time."
Anonymous, November 1991
"Trusting the Silence,"
Beginners' Book:

"We alcoholics are sensitive people. It takes some of us a long time
to outgrow that serious handicap."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, The Family Afterward, pg. 125~

"Simple, but not easy; a price had to be paid. It meant destruction
of self-centeredness. I must turn in all things to the Father of
Light who presides over us all."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Bill's Story, pg. 14~

Nothing short of continuous action upon these as a way of life can bring the much-desired result.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 40

We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual
condition.
We of A.A. obey spiritual principles, at first because we must, then because we ought to, and ultimately because we
love the kind of life such obedience brings. Great suffering and great love are A.A.'s disciplinarians; we need no others.

Prayer for the Day: Lord, we ask you to inspire us to encourage others by what we say and do today. Amen.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:50 AM   #28
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

January 28

Faith Without Works

Faith without works was dead, he said. And how appallingly true for the alcoholic!
For if an alcoholic failed to perfect and enlarge his spiritual life through work and
self-sacrifice for others, he could not survive the certain trials and low spots ahead.
If he did not work, he would surely drink again, and if he drank, he would surely die.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, pp. 14 - 15

Thought to Ponder
If faith without works is dead; then willingness without action is fantasy.

AA-related 'Alconym'
F A I T H = Found Always In Trusting Him.

Thankfulness
I try to hold fast to the truth
that a full and thankful heart
cannot entertain great conceits.
When brimming with gratitude,
one's heartbeat must surely result in outgoing love,
the finest emotion that we can ever know.
Bill W., AAGrapevine, March 1962
c. 1967 AAWS, As Bill Sees It, p. 37

The peaks and valleys of my life
have become gentle rolling hills.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*

G I F T S = Getting It From The Steps

Puzzle
>From "More about Alcoholism":
"The actual or potential alcoholic, with hardly an exception, will be absolutely unable to stop drinking on the basis of self
-knowledge. This is a point we wish to emphasize and re-emphasize, to smash home upon our alcoholic readers as it
has been revealed to us out of bitter experience."
2001 AAWS, Inc., Fourth Edition; Alcoholics Anonymous, pg. 39

"Nothing improves if you drink."
El Granada, Calif., March 2003
"How an Atheist Works the Steps,"
Beginners' Book:

"The minute we put our work on a service plane, the alcoholic
commences to rely upon our assistance rather than upon God. He
clamors for this or that, claiming he cannot master alcohol until
his material needs are cared for. Nonsense. Some of us have taken very
hard knocks to learn this truth: Job or no job wife or no wife we
simply do not stop drinking so long as we place dependence upon other
people ahead of dependence on God."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Working With Others, pg. 98~

"Resentment is the "number one" offender. It destroys more
alcoholics than anything else."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, How It Works, pg. 64~

He thought it better to give comfort than to receive it; better to understand than to be understood; better to forgive than to be forgiven.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 101

Few of us are any longer afraid of what any newcomer can do to our A.A. reputation or effectiveness. Those who slip, those who panhandle, those who scandalize, those with mental twists, those who rebel at the program, those who trade on the A.A. reputation - all such persons seldom harm an A.A. group for long.
Some of these have become our most respected and best loved. Some have remained to try our patience, sober nevertheless. Others have drifted away. We have begun to regard the troublesome ones not as menaces, but rather as our teachers. They oblige us to cultivate patience, tolerance, and humility. We finally see that they are only people sicker than the rest of us, that we who condemn them are the Pharisees whose false righteousness does our group the deeper spiritual damage.

Prayer for the Day: Prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas - Grant me, O Lord my God, a mind to know you, a heart to seek you, wisdom to find you, conduct pleasing to you, faithful perseverance in waiting for you, and a hope of finally embracing you. Amen.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:55 AM   #29
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

January 29

Humility

It was only by repeated humiliations that we were forced to learn something about humility.
It was only at the end of a long road, marked by successive defeats and humiliations,
and the final crushing of our self-sufficiency, that we began to feel humility as
something more than a condition of groveling despair.
- Twelve Steps & Twelve Traditions, p. 72

Thought to Ponder
Humility is not thinking less of myself, but thinking of myself less.

AA-related 'Alconym'
C H A N G E = Choosing Humility Allows New Gifts and Energy.

Solution
If you are as seriously alcoholic as we were,
we believe there is no middle-of-the-road solution.
We were in a position where life was becoming impossible,
and if we had passed into the region
from which there is no return through human aid,
we had but two alternatives:
One was to go on to the bitter end,
blotting out the consciousness of our intolerable situation
as best we could;
and the other, to accept spiritual help.
c. 2001 AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 25

The solution is simple.
The solution is spiritual.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
S T E P S = Solutions To Every Problem in Sobriety.

Ready
Step One: We admitted we were powerless over alcohol -- that our lives had become unmanageable.
"Under the lash of alcoholism, we are driven to A.A., and there we discover the fatal nature of our situation. Then, and
only then, do we become as open-minded to conviction and as willing to listen as the dying can be. We stand ready to
do anything which will lift the merciless obsessions from us."
1952, AAWS, Inc.; Printed 2005; Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, pg. 24

"Up to now AA seems to have taken the right turning at each new crossroad. This could scarcely have been our doing
alone. Our Fellowship has afforded a convincing proof of that wise old adage which declares that 'man's extremity is God's opportunity."
AA Co-Founder, Bill W., November 1961
"Again at the Crossroads"

"Suppose we fall short of the chosen ideal and stumble? Does this
mean we are going to get drunk. Some people tell us so. But this is
only a half-truth. It depends on us and on our motives."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, How It Works, Page 70~

"We never apologize to anyone for depending on our creator. We laugh at those who think spirituality the way of weakness."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 68

In it, each member becomes an active guardian of our Fellowship.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 183

Gratitude should go forward, rather than backward.
'In other words, if you carry the message to still others, you will be making the best possible repayment for the help
given to you.'
No satisfaction has been deeper and no joy greater than in a Twelfth Step job well done. To watch the eyes of men and
women open with wonder as they move from darkness into light, to see their lives quickly fill with new purpose and
meaning, and above all to watch them awaken to the presence of a loving God in their lives - these things are the
substance of what we receive as we carry A.A.'s message.

Prayer for the Day: Dear Lord, we come to You to pray. We pray You will help us to prepare and begin our day. We may
have had a tough yesterday. We may have had a bad night. We may have things to do today we aren’t looking forward
to. However, we come to You first today to pray to give us the right attitude, the right mindset and to show us what to do
to give You the glory in all we do today. We also pray You will give us strength to resist temptation in all we do. In Jesus’
name. Amen.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:41 AM   #30
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

January 30

Every Imaginable Remedy
We have tried every imaginable remedy. In some instances there
has been brief recovery, followed always by a still worse relapse.
Physicians who are familiar with alcoholism agree there is no such
thing as making a normal drinker out of an alcoholic.
Science may one day accomplish this, but it hasn’t done so yet.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 31

Thought to Ponder
When we try to control our drinking, we have already lost control.

AA-related 'Alconym'
I S M = I Sabotage Myself.

Good Living
Understanding is the key to right principles and attitudes,
and right action is the key to good living;
therefore the joy of good living
is the theme of AA's Twelfth Step.
With each passing day of our lives,
may every one of us sense more deeply
the inner meaning of AA's simple prayer:

God grant us the serenity to accept
the things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
c. 1952 AAWS, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 125

Thought to Consider . . . .
The joy is in the journey.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
T H I N K = The Happiness I Never Knew

Growth
>From "The Keys of the Kingdom":
"Letting go of everything at once was both painful and terrifying. I could never have accomplished this alone. It took the
help, understanding, and wonderful companionship that was given so freely to me by my ex-alkie friend this and the
program of recovery embodied in the Twelve Steps. In learning to practice these steps in my daily living, I began to
acquire faith and a philosophy to live by. Whole new vistas were opened up for me, new avenues of experience to be
explored, and life began to take on color and interest. In time, I found myself looking forward to each new day with
pleasurable anticipation."
2001 AAWS, Inc., Fourth Edition; Alcoholics Anonymous, pg. 275

"I am finally learning really to live one day at a time and to appreciate and be alert to the beautiful, marvel-filled, albeit
sometimes infuriating world around me."
Saratoga, Calif.,August 1985
"Beyond the Generation Gap,"

"We cannot be helpful to all people, but at least God will show us
how to take a kindly and tolerant view of each and every one."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, How It Works, pg. 67~

The next question they asked was ,"You can quit twenty-four hours , can't you?" I said , "Sure , yes , anybody can do
that , for twenty-four hours ." They said , "That's what we're talking about . Just twenty-four hours at a time ." That sure
did take a load off of my mind . Every time I'd start thinking about drinking , I would think of the long , dry years ahead
without having a drink; but this idea of twenty-four hours , that it was up to me from then , was a lot of help .
Alcoholics Anonymous , Page 188

Then fear, in turn, generates more character defects.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 49

Sometimes, we become depressed. I ought to know; I have been a champion dry-bender case myself. While the
surface causes were a part of the picture - trigger-events that precipitated depression - the underlying causes, I am
satisfied, ran much deeper.
'Intellectually, I could accept my situation. Emotionally, I could not.
'To these problems, there are certainly no pat answers. But part of the answer surely lies in the constant effort to
practice all of A.A.'s Twelve Steps.

Prayer for the Day: Father, by the grace you have given me, I trust you and your promises. You said that you would
never leave me nor forsake me. You are always with me, in every personal and business situation. Thank you for the
Holy Spirit who is my Comforter, Counselor, Helper, Advocate, Intercessor, Strengthener, Teacher and Guide. Though
fear arises, I will not be dismayed because you uphold me with your victorious right hand in Jesus’ name. You are my Helper. Amen.
Post New ThreadReply