Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - May 20

Spend some time reflecting on the past week; thank God for the ways (subtle or obvious) in which he has responded to your faith and blessed you.

"If you feel like you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on! Because God's a God of miracles, and He's holding the other end." - Pat Hicks

The first wireless phone was created by God. It's called Prayer. It never loses its signal, you don't ever have to recharge it, and there's no bill at the end of the month.

With God’s help each of us can live out Psalm 19:14: “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.”

We can take refuge in God, who is always there.

When praying is all we can do, that is enough.

God is always present with us, bringing hope and peace.

God loves us right where we are today. What we may see as ruins, God sees as building blocks for lives greater than we could imagine for ourselves. As we shift our focus from our messy surroundings to God’s presence, God will redeem and rebuild our lives.

ANTICIPATION
Then Joshua said to the people, "Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do wonders among you."
There is an old Heinz Ketchup commercial that shows an anxious youngster waiting for that delicious red stuff to slowly pour from the bottle onto his hotdog. Oh, the agony of awaiting the arrival of that scrumptious fruit of Pittsburgh! (yep, back then Pittsburgh was known for more than football and steel).
Joshua tells Israel to prepare to see “wonders among you”. Prepare, consecrate yourselves, be ready is the command for tomorrow, the Lord will do something that will be wondrous.
How did they even sleep that evening? I think I may have been up all night, trying to picture what was going to happen. They had heard the stories of the Red Sea. They had manna every day and water was always available, even in the dry places. How can that be? Their clothing and shoes did not wear out, even after 40 years of constant use in the desert! Try getting a pair of shoes for your kids to last for even a year or two.
They had seen miraculous things daily for generations. And then they are told that something wonderful was going to happen. As you read further, you will see that the Lord stopped the flow of the Jordan River and Israel enters the Promised Land, crossing a totally dry riverbed, even though water had been flooding the area (verse 18). Now that must have been a sight to see!
What about you? Do you take time to see the wonders that the Lord has placed around you? Have you closely looked at a flower recently? Have you stared into a night sky so clear that it makes you dizzy? Have you contemplated how God could chose to love a sinner such as yourself, even to the point of calling you His adopted son or daughter?
The wonders are all around you. Take some time to note them today. …..as seen in Tuesday’s Bread

The Pilot by Joel Jongkind
James 3:4 – Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. (NKJV)
During the last week of February and the first week of March, we were on a Caribbean cruise. I am not at all nautically inclined, but I was fascinated by the maritime activities in the various ports that we visited. When we left our port of embarkation on the evening of the first day, it was dark and we were getting settled in, so I did not witness the activities at that time, but gradually the ship headed out to the open waters, and we were on our way.
At one point, we encountered some really stormy weather and rough seas; there were high waves and strong winds. The big cruise ship was even affected by it to some extent, and parts of the deck were roped off for safety reasons. As we approached our destination for that day, a small boat came alongside, and a pilot jumped onto the hanging ladder, climbed aboard through a door in the side of the ship, and went to the bridge to guide us into the harbour. I read that ship navigation has many challenges, but those challenges multiply when entering a harbour or a port. Pilots know the area and have a mental map of underwater dangers, water depth, currents, and tides. Pilots are there to advise the captain about speed and direction. I used to think that pilots took over completely, but that is not the case, except for going through the Panama Canal.
As we left the stormy waters and entered the safe harbour, I thought: that is a lot like life, isn't it? There are storms of different kinds in all our lives, and quite often, we try to cope as best we can. But then, it is time to call on our Pilot, Jesus, to guide us.
The psalmist David knew this; he called on God to guide him:
Psalm 31:3 – For You are my rock and my fortress; therefore, for Your name's sake, lead me and guide me. (NKJV)
When we call on Jesus, He will guide us. There is a hymn by Edward Hopper which describes this so well:
Jesus, Saviour, pilot me
Over life's tempestuous sea;
Unknown waves before me roll,
Hiding rock and treacherous shoal.
Chart and compass come from Thee;
Jesus, Saviour, pilot me.
When at last I near the shore,
And the fearful breakers roar
'Twixt me and the peaceful rest,
Then, while leaning on Thy breast,
May I hear Thee say to me,
"Fear not, I will pilot thee."
Prayer: Our Father in heaven, as we face the different storms of life, we pray that we will always call on You to guide us safely through. We ask it in Jesus' name. Amen.

Not Overwhelmed (Study by Chris Long)
"A man's steps are established by the Lord, and He takes pleasure in his way. Though he falls, he will not be overwhelmed, because the Lord holds his hand [or in some translations: the Lord supports with His hand]." Psalm 37:23-24 HCSB (parenthetical comment added)
In life it is easy to get discouraged. It's easy to feel like people, circumstances, and life in general are going to overwhelm us. Yet, here we have a promise direct from the Lord Himself, that though we may fall, we will not be overwhelmed. The picture that's painted by this passage of Scripture is even more poignant: God Himself says that He holds our hand [or supports us with His hand if you prefer]. Even when you stumble in your Christian walk, He says very clearly that He was holding your hand the whole time. What an incredible realization!
But wait, there's more - let's continue reading on in Psalm 37 as the Lord speaks some more through David:
"I have been young and now I am old, yet I have not seen the righteous abandoned or his children begging bread. He is always generous, always lending, and his children are a blessing. Turn away from what is evil and do what is good, and dwell there forever. For the Lord loves justice and will not abandon His faithful ones. They are kept safe forever, but the children of the wicked will be destroyed. The righteous will inherit the land and dwell in it permanently." Psalm 37:25-29 HCSB
Notice the word "righteous" in this passage. These are promises direct from the Lord for those that are "righteous". So, who's righteous? The Bible makes clear throughout Scripture and specifically in Psalm 14 (and repeated again by Paul in Romans 3) that as human beings in and of ourselves there are NONE righteous. Romans 3:22-24 sheds light on this whole righteousness thing where it says "...God's righteousness through faith in Jesus Christ, to all who believe...For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. They are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus".
So this tells us that these promises in Psalm 37 are for EVERY BELIEVER in Jesus Christ. God Himself declares through David that He will NOT abandon you, that He is holding your hand, that He establishes your steps, that He is generous to you, and that He will NOT allow you to be overwhelmed!
Now, in my own Christian life, I've certainly thought I was overwhelmed. The key is that I *thought* I was overwhelmed. I have been to the utter depths of despair, even despair of life itself. Yet, God promises in Isaiah 42:3 that "He will not break a bruised reed, and He will not put out a smoldering wick..." In other words, God doesn't come along when you're just barely smoldering with any light at all and blow out your light. That's not the heart of God - He wants to fan that little smoldering light into a huge flame! God has allowed me to go right to the "brink" of life many times, but He has NEVER let me go over. He has never let me truly be overwhelmed [or "utterly cast out" as some translations put it]. I have come to truly believe that God never gives us more at any given time then we can handle with Him (cross-reference see 1 Corinthians 10:13 which deals with temptation, but the principle is there)
Today, do you realize that your God is holding your hand and supporting you? Do you see that He has ordained your steps and takes pleasure in you walking in them? (i.e. He takes pleasure in YOU as His child!) That though you may stumble and fall, the Lord is right there with you to ensure that you will not be overwhelmed?
These are vitally important realizations as they show us the heart of our God. And on that day when we see Him face to face in eternity, we will truly be able to say: "Thank you Lord for guiding our steps and not allowing us to be overwhelmed with more then we could handle each day with You!"
Suggested Prayer: "Heavenly Father, thank You for Your word today. Thank You for loving me so much as Your child, Your RIGHTEOUS child through Jesus, that You are always with me; always supporting me with Your hand. Help me Lord to just believe your promise Lord that with each day in life You will never give me more then I can bear with You, who is right by my side. You are so faithful Lord and so good to me! Words cannot describe my thankfulness to you. Amen."

Getting Nowhere Fast Author Unknown
"Meanwhile, Boaz went up to the town gate and sat there." Ruth 4:4
The town gate was the place in town where many legal transactions took place. Boaz wanted approval from the elders to marry Ruth, but he first had to clear any prior claims to her estate. Instead of running around, making things happen, Boaz went to the gate, sat and waited until the people he needed to speak with came by the gate. Boaz was secure in his purpose and knew he was in God's will so he trusted plans to unfold.
Are you rushing around trying to make things happen or are you waiting on God to lead the way? Relax, regroup, and let God lead the way.
PRAYER: Lord, let me learn to wait. Show me your plan for my life and give me the patience and the trust to let it unfold in Your way. Stop me from running around, trying to make things happen and let me rest in your peace.

Avoiding Confrontation Author Unknown
Matt had been frustrated and angry for months. Instead of dealing with a situation, Matt avoided a confrontation, allowing the frustration to continue building.
During a phone conversation, Matt's anger got the best of him. Unable to contain his emotions any longer, he lost his composure, and began yelling. The situation went unresolved for too long, creating more hurt and confusion for all involved.
It's wiser to deal with anger and frustration immediately. Avoiding confrontation only leads to bigger problems.
Ephesians 4:26-27 says, "Don't let the sun go down while you are still angry for anger gives a foothold to the devil."
Do you have a situation you need to deal with today? Before the sun goes down, ask God to guide your heart and tongue regarding those whom you have anger towards.

And then the Rains Came by Sally I. Kennedy
And just as they were telling about it, Jesus himself was suddenly standing there among them. "Peace be with you," he said. Luke 24:36
This spring when our lone gardenia bush was in glorious full bloom I was so enjoyed seeing it each day. Gardenias were my mom’s favorite flower, and each cut bloom held her memory. Mornings I would bring a couple indoors, and the lovely fragrance would fill the room. Then the rains came. Overnight every single flower was washed away.
They had a beautiful marriage for sixteen years and two sweet children. Late one afternoon, coming home from the grocery store, she was hit broadside by a truck that ran a stop sign and killed her instantly. And then the rains came.
He went into work, business as usual, when his superior walked in and said, “Clean out your desk; I’m sorry but we are cutting back”. And then the rains came.
The rains don’t last forever although when we’re in the midst of a storm it surely feels like they will. It’s a fact there is always a rainbow when it rains, even when we don’t see it. The sun/Son is always shining behind the heavy rain clouds.
The loss of the flowers on the gardenia bush was no big thing, just a miniscule blip on the radar, as was the lovely crop of wild sunflowers that were drowned and flattened by a flash flood. They did serve as an illustration, however, and a reminder that when we have our hopes and plans dashed we have a God of the ‘suddenlies’ who can turn things around (Genesis 50:20). The Lord will redeem what has been lost after the rains come (Joel 2:25). That is good news.

Do You Need a Washing? Author Unknown
A little girl had been shopping with her Mom in Walmart. She must have been 6-years-old, this beautiful red-haired, freckle-faced image of innocence. It was pouring outside. The kind of rain that gushes over the top of rain gutters, so much in a hurry to hit the earth it has no time to flow down the spout. We all stood there under the awning and just inside the door of the Walmart.
We waited, some patiently, others irritated because nature messed up their hurried day. I am always mesmerized by rainfall. I got lost in the sound and sight of the heavens washing away the dirt and dust of the world. Memories of running, splashing so carefree as a child came pouring in as a welcome reprieve from the worries of my day.
The little voice was so sweet as it broke the hypnotic trance we were all caught in: "Mom, let's run through the rain," she said.
"What?" Mom asked.
"Let's run through the rain!" she repeated.
"No, honey. We'll wait until it slows down a bit," Mom replied.
This young child waited about another minute and repeated: "Mom, let's run through the rain."
"We'll get soaked if we do," Mom said.
"No, we won't, Mom. That's not what you said this morning," the young girl said as she tugged at her Mom's arm.
"This morning? When did I say we could run through the rain and not get wet?"
"Don't you remember? When you were talking to Daddy about his cancer, you said, 'If God can get us through this, he can get us through anything!'"
The entire crowd stopped dead silent. I swear you couldn't hear anything but the rain. We all stood silently. No one came or left in the next few minutes.
Mom paused and thought for a moment about what she would say.
Now some would laugh it off and scold her for being silly. Some might even ignore what was said. But this was a moment of affirmation in a young child's life. A time when innocent trust can be nurtured so that it will bloom into faith.
"Honey, you are absolutely right. Let's run through the rain. If God let's us get wet, well maybe we just needed washing," Mom said.
Then off they ran. We all stood watching, smiling and laughing as they darted past the cars and, yes, through the puddles. They held their shopping bags over their heads. They got soaked. But they were followed by a few who screamed and laughed like children all the way to their cars.
And yes, I did. I ran. I got wet. I needed washing.

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
Be flexible, says the Lord. Some of the resources that you have depended on in the past will no longer be viable. Do not react emotionally to these changes, but rather be creative in finding alternative sources and solutions. Remember that I, your God, am your dependable provider. And you can trust Me to meet your every need and to give wisdom and direction. Psalms 9:10 And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; for You, LORD, have not forsaken those who seek You.

In a vision I saw a tiny speck of light in the distance that began to increase in size and intensity. And, I heard the Lord say, "I am giving you opportunities to increase in revelation and wisdom. You must no longer dwell in darkness, but reach for My light and let it encompass you and permeate your entire being. This is a time for you to emerge and move out in faith and victory." James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

There are many ways that you can get sidetracked at this time. You must be spiritually focused to make the most of this season. When you are too busy with things of the world, you can miss what I am trying to reveal to you, says the Lord. And, that could make you vulnerable. Proverbs 5:1-2 My son, pay attention to my wisdom; Lend your ear to my understanding, that you may preserve discretion, and your lips may keep knowledge.

I would have you, My people, walk in sincerity and without pretense. Be who you are in Me, and that will allow the manifestation of My Spirit to flow through you unhindered. However, if you are afraid to be rejected and seek acceptance and approval, those around you will only see your insecurity even when you try to be religious. These are times when you can experience greater freedom on all levels, says the Lord. 1 Timothy 1:5 Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from sincere faith.

Many of you, My people, have revisited old places of failure and pain. This is not productive for you, says the Lord. Much of how you perceive the past is subjective as you can only see with flawed vision, distorted by your feelings and opinions. You cannot change one thing about the past, but you can go forth in the power of My Spirit. This is a new day in which you can choose to walk in the Spirit. Philippians 3:13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead.

Your time of transition is almost over. You just need a little more patience and staying power before you can begin the next leg of your journey. Allow expectation to be a motivating force as you position yourself to progress. Establish and maintain purity, says the Lord. Resolutely seek the moral and spiritual high ground. Leviticus 20:26 And you shall be holy to Me, for I the LORD am holy, and have separated you from the peoples, that you should be Mine.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
This is My will for you, that you receive that which I am doing. Let the living water from heaven come and wash, cleanse, and anoint you with the purpose of this time. So that you, My people, will never again be in fear or condemnation. Come to the revelation and reality that I am for you and with you, and I will never leave you nor will I ever forsake you. Be encouraged. Be renewed. Let the waters of the Spirit flow to bring that fresh anointing upon you this day. Receive that which I have given and let it come mightily into your life. No longer allow hindrances. No longer allow the enemy to throw you down and tread upon you. I am with you to lift you up into the glory of My kingdom. Let Me reign supreme over your life, says the Lord.

A spiritual time frame is before you, a time in which I will give unusual signs so that you may know that I am with you and that I am at work among you. Therefore, watch. Look and listen for My intervention into your lives with unusual signs that will confirm that which I am doing, says the Lord.

This Too Will Pass by Helen Steiner Rice
If I can endure for this minute
Whatever is happening to me,
No matter how heavy my heart is
Or how dark the moment may be-
If I can remain calm and quiet
With all the world crashing about me,
Secure in the knowledge God loves me
When everyone else seems to doubt me-
If I can but keep on believing
What I know in my heart to be true,
That darkness will fade with the morning
And that this will pass away, too-
Then nothing in life can defeat me
For as long as this knowledge remains
I can suffer whatever is happening
For I know God will break all of the chains
That are binding me tight in the darkness
And trying to fill me with fear-
For there is no night without dawning
And I know that my morning is near.

God is in every tomorrow,
Therefore I live for today,
Certain of finding at sunrise,
Guidance and strength for my way;
Power for each moment of weakness,
Hope for each moment of pain,
Comfort for every sorrow,
Sunshine and joy after rain.
--Streams in the Desert

8 Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee. 9 Deliver me, O Lord, from mine enemies: I flee unto thee to hide me. 10 Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness. Psalm 143:8-10

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6

2 Corinthians 5:17 – So if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see, everything has become new!

Deliver me from the mire and do not let me sink; May I be delivered from my foes and from the deep waters." - Psalm 69:14

For God alone my soul waits in silence. From Him comes my salvation. He alone is my strength, redeemer, and my protection. I shall not be shaken. Psalm ​​​​​​​62:1-2

As for God, His way is perfect; The word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. 2 Samuel 22:31

10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.11 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Psalm 46:10-11

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1

Peace Be With You by Diane Swan
On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jewish leaders, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” (John 20:19).
As a counselor, the number one thing people come to my office in search of is peace.
Peace in their marriage.
Peace in their job.
Peace with their circumstances.
Sometimes just peace within their own mind.
And although I counsel them in their quest for peace, I am no different. I too go through times were my heart cries out for the comfort that only peace can bring. Like many, I have gone through the searing loss of loved ones. I have endured the pain of tumultuous relationships on the rocks. And I have felt like a prisoner locked in the relentless maze of my own mind.
I have shut myself away, alone in a room, hoping the stresses and pains of life wouldn’t find me there. Perhaps you have done the same.
You and I are not alone in this withdrawing activity. The disciples, after the death of Jesus, found themselves doing the very same thing. They hid away behind locked doors while their fears and grief surrounded them . . . that is until a Visitor appeared.
The word says, “Jesus came and stood among them . . . .”
That is the beautiful thing about Jesus. Even locked doors cannot keep Him from the ones He loves. He appeared to them, just days after His death, and He spoke these first words to them, “Peace be with you!”
Four very simple words, but with the power to transform their mood.
The disciples had no peace behind those locked doors before He entered. They had no peace before He spoke those words. They only had pain and fear, confusion and regret . . . until He appeared.
He came with a proclamation. He came with a gift. He came as a victor with the power to issue them peace. He said it to them again, “Peace be with you!”
With those words, He was saying, “Do not fear! Do not be troubled. Do not hide in this room any longer. Take heart because I am here and My peace I give you!”
Of all the things He could have said, of all the things He could have brought as a gift . . . He chose peace. He chose the exact thing they needed most.
I believe it is the same thing we are still in need of the most today. It’s the reason we lock ourselves away, hoping in the stillness of solitude we will find peace. There is comfort in knowing that if Jesus entered the disciples’ locked room, He will come to us, too, in our times of need.
“When we are grief stricken and mourning a loss,
when we are tired of fighting and living in chaos,
when we are tormented by the thoughts in our mind,
and when we are confused and don’t understand His plan or design . . .
He comes and enters our hearts and our minds,
and leaves His gift of peace behind.”
Perhaps that is what you are seeking today . . . the gift of peace. My prayer is that as you read these words, in this very moment, you would feel His peace wash over you. Feelings of pain and fear, confusion and regret would start to fade away as peace takes up residence within you. And I pray as you receive this gift today, you would know that there is no place you can go, no place you can hide, and no troubles you can endure, that His peace can’t reach you.

Surprise me with joy today, O God.

Read Through The Bible
Psalm 15
1 Lord, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill? 2 He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart. 3 He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour. 4 In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the Lord. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not. 5 He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.

Heavenly Father, you have called us into your household of faith and made us brothers and sisters in Christ. Guide us by your word that our lives may reflect the faithfulness to which you have called us. Help us to see the everyday opportunities that we have to serve you by loving others.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply