Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - December 18

When we grasp the truth of Christmas, we also find amazing joy: a long-lasting, life-energizing, soul-strengthening, heart-warming joy. Jesus came to show us what God is like. He worked continually for our good and even died for us. God will do whatever it takes to reach us. That is the truth of Christmas.
When we see the Christ child as the expression of God’s love for us, we find joy that flows from the steadfast love of God. Jesus is our picture of God’s unfailing, self-giving love. James Harnish

God in His loving-kindness, tender mercy and capacity as Savior has moved into our lives and has done something for us we couldn’t do for ourselves. --Stuart Briscoe

We are so preciously loved by God that we cannot even comprehend it. No created being can ever know how much and how sweetly and tenderly God loves them. --Julian of Norwich

God gives us opportunities to share and is pleased when we extend kindness to others. Today we can reach out to people in simple ways — a phone call, a hug, or a kind word. By doing good and sharing with others, we show our gratitude for God’s love and mercy. Today look for ways to share God’s love.

Whenever we feel trapped in a hopeless situation, praying can bring help — first by calming us down so that we can think and see clearly. This may help us to see other ways to solve our problems or other sources of help. Given time and patience, the problems may resolve themselves. Instead of giving in to panic, we can ask God for the insights or answers we need to deal with the situation

Do your best; let God do the rest.

God still works in our world through people who care.

When we respond to God, our lives are changed forever.

Are you so busy working for God that you never spend any time with God? by Weekly Wisdom
It is easy to justify doing good works for God as a substitute for spending real, intimate, quality, personal time with God. For example, a youth pastor may spend many hours planning events for kids—preparing the music, setting up the games, arranging the transportation, and even preparing a brief message. However, none of that is a substitute for spending personal time with God—reading the Bible, praying, seeking God's guidance, worshiping, and just sitting in His presence.
Unfortunately, many people are often so caught up in other activities that we use them as an excuse for not spending time with God. Instead, they need to make a firm decision to put God first in our lives. For example, King David, who certainly had many opportunities to fill his time with other activities, knew that spending time with God is an absolute necessity—a vital need. In Psalm 27:4, he said that God was the most important thing in his life: One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Indeed, Jesus declared that if we seek God, he will take care of the rest of the things in our lives: "Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well" (Matthew 6:33). In your life, put God first, and he will take care of "all these things." Follow David's example: make God the "one thing" you need. That way, you won't be so busy working for God that you never spend any time with God.

The True Spirit of Christmas Author Unknown
It was only five days before Christmas. The spirit of the season hadn't yet caught up with me, even though cars packed the parking lot of our Houston area Target Shopping Center. Inside the store, it was worse. Shopping carts and last minute shoppers jammed the aisles. Why did I come today? I wondered. My feet ached almost as much as my head.
My list contained names of several people who claimed they wanted nothing, but I knew their feelings would be hurt if I didn't buy them something. Buying for someone who had everything and deploring the high cost of items, I considered gift buying anything but fun. Hurriedly, I filled my shopping cart with last minute items and proceeded to the long checkout lines.
I picked the shortest but it looked as if it would mean at least a 20 minute wait. In front of me were two small children a boy of about 10 and a younger girl about 5. The boy wore a ragged coat. Enormously large, tattered tennis shoes jutted far out in front of his much too short jeans. He clutched several crumpled dollar bills in his grimy hands. The girl's clothing resembled her brother's. Her head was a matted mass of curly hair. Reminders of an evening meal showed on her small face. She carried a beautiful pair of shiny, gold house slippers.
As the Christmas music sounded in the store's stereo system, the girl hummed along off key but happily. When we finally approached the checkout register, the girl carefully placed the shoes on the counter. She treated them as though they were a treasure. The clerk rang up he bill. "That will be $6.09" the clerk said, as the boy laid his crumpled dollars atop the stand while he searched his pockets finally coming up with $3.12.
"I guess we will have to put them back, " he bravely said. "We'll come back some other time, maybe tomorrow."
With that statement, a soft sob broke from the little girl. "But Jesus would have loved these shoes," she cried.
"Well, we'll go home and work some more. Don't cry. We'll come back," he said. Quickly I handed $3.00 to the cashier. These children had waited in line for a long time. And, after all, it was Christmas.
Suddenly a pair of arms came around me and a small voice said, "Thank you, Sir." "What did you mean when you said Jesus would like the shoes?" I asked.
The small boy answered, "Our mommy is sick and going to heaven. Dad said she might go before Christmas to be with Jesus."
The girl spoke, "My Sunday school teacher said the streets in heaven are shiny gold, just like these shoes. Won't mommy be beautiful walking on those streets to match these shoes?" My eyes flooded as I looked into her tear streaked face. "Yes," I answered, "I am sure she will."
Silently, I thanked God for using these children to remind me of the true spirit of giving. Christmas is not about the amount of money paid, nor the amount of gifts purchased, nor trying to impress friends and relatives. Christmas is about the love in your heart to share with those as Jesus Christ has shared with each of us. Christmas is about the Birth of Jesus whom God sent to show the world how much he really loves us.

Are You Available: Recognizing Opportunities by Donna Sparks
I don’t know about you, but I love ministry. There is nothing I enjoy more than pouring myself out for God’s glory, and seeing Him work in the lives of others. It’s humbling, and inspiring. Every day in my personal prayer time, I find myself asking God to open more doors for ministry and opportunities to share His love.
In my mind, I’m usually envisioning traveling to speak for a women’s event or an evangelistic service at a church. For so many of us actively involved in ministry, we can sometimes begin to get tunnel vision. At least, that seems to be my case. I often pray for God to use me, but then when He is trying His best to do that, I sometimes am distracted, busy, or just not listening.
The other day, I was grocery shopping. Let me just interject that I hate grocery shopping—no matter when it is—but when the store is packed full of people frantically trying to finish their holiday shopping, I really hate it.
So, here I was attempting this maddening scavenger hunt to find all the items on my list. I became frustrated and anxious to get out of the store. I stopped at the end of the aisle to check a couple of items off my list. When I looked up, I noticed a lady reaching for the nearest shelf to try and steady herself. She looked as if she might faint. People were scurrying past her, paying no attention, while others looked irritated because she had stopped in front of them.
I approached her, and taking her arm to steady her, I asked, “Ma’am, are you OK?” She looked at me, and said “Yes, I think so. I just have really bad back pain, and it is hurting so much right now, it’s almost making me sick.” Before I even thought about it, I said, “Can I pray for you?”
She totally lit up. She looked at me with the most precious expression of love on her face, and said, “Yes, absolutely. That would be wonderful.” With her permission, I placed my hand on her back, and began to pray for God to touch her and heal her. As I continued to pray for her, I was completely unaware of the busy crowd around us. Everything and everyone just ceased to exist in that moment.
God had opened a door for ministry. Amidst all the hustle and bustle of grocery shopping, He had sent someone to pray for this sweet lady in her time of need. When I finished praying, she smiled at me, hugged me, and said, “Thank you so much!” I asked her if I could help her finish shopping, and with a big smile on her face, she said, “No, thank you. I am just fine.”
She grabbed the items she had laid on the shelf, wished me a good day, and before I knew it she was halfway to the check-out. Pushing my cart down the next aisle, I began to thank God for the ability to do my shopping. I thanked Him for the opportunity to minister to someone in need, and I thanked Him for the open door.
All open doors do not look the same. Some open doors may be invitations to speak at big, grand venues in front of hundreds of people. That is great, and I love those opportunities! But some doors are seemingly small encounters, where He has put us in the right place at just the right time to be His hand extended to someone in need.
Personally, at times I have received bigger blessings, and a greater sense of His presence by just being obedient in the small things. We don’t have to view ministry as something that can only happen in a big church setting, or in a huge stadium. God longs to use us in big ways every day! We just have to be willing to look around us, listen for the Holy Spirit, and be obedient.
I can almost feel Him smiling down at me in these quiet little encounters. Every time I have one of these little “miracle moments,“ I’m reminded of something a beautiful friend, and great women’s minister, Joani Tabor, said to me years ago. She told me “God trusts you to be available for Him. He knows He can count on you, and that is no small honor!”
He trusts me! Wow, to think that the God of the entire universe trusts me to be there when He needs me! There could be no greater compliment or calling. Many times we tend to view our worth or value based on the invitations we receive to speak at large venues, or for large congregations. But, we have to look at the bigger picture. Does He trust us to be available when He needs us? If we can answer “yes,” that is a huge honor!

To-Do-List by Sally I. Kennedy
Seek the Kingdom of God above all else... and he will give you everything you need. Matthew 6:33
I was looking over the list, the never ending 'To Do' list, crossing things off, adding tasks, rearranging the items according to today's priorities. "There is no end to this list!" I grumbled to myself. "There is always something else 'to-do!"
The never-ending 'to do' list, how depressing that can be. A good friend of mine likes to say, "Everything that needs to get done will get done", though I wonder sometimes. I can easily feel overwhelmed with The List, and that's when I know it's time for an inventory, a priority check-up.
God wants to communicate with us, and it is unlikely He is going to catch us 'on the run'. He waits. Rick Warren says, "If you are always on the go and you can't hear God, you are facing the barrier of busyness." Oh yeah, all those things on The List!
I've heard it said, "Don't under estimate the value of porch sittin' and rockin'". Basically, I need to make the choice to take time, to wait on God and listen to Him. It's hard for God to download much to me when I am racing to move through my list. He is waiting, though.
I need to choose, purpose, and decision what -and Who - gets moved to the top. When I rearrange and put God first, everything else will fall into a manageable position. It will; that's a promise.

God's Peace for When You Are Anxious About Money from God's Peace for When You Can't Sleep
His way will always be good, and it will always be enough.
Is the thought of money keeping you awake right now? If so, you’re not the only one.
Medical bills, mortgage payments, college tuition, retirement funds, grocery money, car repairs — these all require money, and they are realities in many of our lives. Whether an unexpected bill, sudden job loss, or the reality of barely scraping by is on your mind tonight, may you feel the peace of God flood your soul, for He provides for His children in mysterious, perfect, and loving ways.
Do you remember the story of Elisha and the widow (2 Kings 4:1-7)? The widow had no money, her husband left a massive amount of debt, and his creditor was threatening to take her sons for payment. Instead of raining money from the sky, God provided for her in a truly unique way. Elisha told her to go and ask her neighbors for empty jars and then pour oil into each jar. The oil kept flowing until all of the jars were full — and she asked for a lot of jars! Then, Elisha told her to sell the oil and pay off her debts, and there would be enough money left over for her and her sons to live off of.
What a story! The Lord multiplied the oil for the widow — and in providing through a rather obscure way, the widow and her sons were blessed abundantly.
As you lie awake, stressed about providing for yourself or your family, feeling burdened by the overwhelming sensation of not having “enough,” reflect on the truths in God’s Word instead of the worries in your mind.
He may not provide for you in the exact way you expect, but His way will always be good, and it will always be enough.
In Philippians, Paul said God will meet your every need (Philippians 4:19), and Jesus also said the Father loves to give good gifts to His children (Matthew 7:11). If you are a parent or have a special child in your life, reflect on the love you feel for him or her. You would do anything to satiate their needs, and you would probably go above and beyond. That is how the Lord is with His followers. That is how He feels about you.
Rest your head on your pillow, trusting that your Provider loves you like a father loves his children. Remember what the Lord has done for you in the past, and know that He is still with you now and in the future.
Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you. — Mark 11:24
My God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. — Philippians 4:19
Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? — Matthew 6:26
Prayer: Lord, I feel so anxious tonight about having enough money. Help me trust that You are faithful to Your children and will provide for my every need. Give me strength to look heavenward toward You instead of at my bank account, for ultimately You are my provider.
Blessing: May God’s Promises of provision give you peace tonight. May you fall asleep with a contented heart, knowing He will provide everything you need, in His time and in His perfect way.
Praise: Lord, I praise You for the promises in Your Word. Thank You for making it so clear in scripture that You will always meet my needs. I am so grateful for Your constant care and attention, and lift my heart in gratitude for all Your good gifts.

NOBODY REMEMBERED Author Unknown
"There was once a small city with only a few people in it. And a powerful king came against it, surrounded it and built huge siegeworks against it. Now there lived in that city a man, poor but wise, and he saved the city by his wisdom. But nobody remembered that poor man." (Ecclesiastes 9:14-15)
Disaster was averted and lives were spared. ...."But nobody remembered that poor man."
Wise words of counsel were given and heeded and lives were blessed innumerably. ...."But nobody remembered that poor man."
Could sadder words be spoken? I think not. ...."But nobody remembered that poor man."
This time of year, we naturally think of giving more than we do in any other season. But the best thing you can give this season - or any season - isn't for sale. It comes freely, but it only comes deliberately - and because you can't touch it, it can never wear out. It's called "appreciation."
This season, as you give, give your heart. As you share presents of possessions, also share presents of your heart to encourage the spirit of others. Tell them of your appreciation for them.
Remember “that poor man” - and all the people like him. All the people God has sent your way. Those who have encouraged you and those who have steered you away from destruction, time and time again, all of your life. Bless them today by remembering them. Those you know well and those whose names you know not. Give those you know what they need - your appreciation. Give those who have blessed you and you never knew it, what they need - your kindness, and so, your appreciation.
Your appreciation of the lives of others may very well be the very best gift you can ever give. So give it often. It costs you little and those who receive it will be wealthy indeed.
"How can we thank God enough for you in return for all the joy we have in the presence of our God because of you?" (1 Thess. 3:9)

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
In a vision I found myself in a familiar spiritual landscape. I had been there before. I saw a flock of sheep huddled together under an overhanging rock. Their Shepherd was playing a flute to keep them calm in the midst of a storm, and their hearts were at peace because they trusted Him to keep them safe as He had done so many times in the past. They did not fear. And, I heard the Lord say, "Come to Me, and I will keep you in peace and safety." John 10:14 I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own.

Many of you, My people, have allowed fear to creep in and overtake you. You must quiet your fears and come to Me for assurance that I am your protector. When you do not know what to do, ask, and I will assuredly impart wisdom and guidance. I will lead you in the way you should go. Be calm and trust Me to do what I have promised, says the Lord. 2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

I am transforming you into My image, says the Lord. You are no longer only a natural being; you are supernatural because My Spirit dwells in you. Yield to this work of transformation by seeing yourself as spiritually and eternally Mine. Remember that you are a pilgrim passing through your time on the earth, but you are forever a citizen in My kingdom. Live like you believe it. Philippians 3:20-21 For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.

Changes are still taking place as you get ready to experience the benefits and challenges of the season ahead of you. Things that you face at this time will prepare you, but you must pay attention to what you can learn from the lessons presented by your circumstances, says the Lord. Discernment is your friend. Matthew 11:29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

You are about to enter a new phase of existence, but there are things that need to be finished before you can forge ahead. Make the best use of your time and opportunities to deal with issues that would hinder you in the future, says the Lord. I will give you discernment, wisdom, and guidance to do all that is necessary. Isaiah 45:2 I will go before you and make the crooked places straight; I will break in pieces the gates of bronze and cut the bars of iron.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
I speak to those who have become distracted and have fallen into apathy. You have been focusing on circumstances, problems, and issues, and you have fallen away from your First Love. Have I not given you talents and gifts and ways to glorify Me? Yet, there is no glory coming at all. Leave those things behind that have held you in this bondage, and press forward to the calling that I have called you to, for I have chosen you, and I have given you a destiny. You have turned from that destiny, but today rise up out of the abyss of apathy, and do what I have set you to do. I speak also to those who have become insecure. This will invite comparisons and spirits of jealousy. Now is the time to come to Me and find your security in My presence and My love for you. Establish yourselves in Me.

If you look for me at Christmas,
You won't need a special star.
I'm no longer just in Bethlehem,
I'm right there where you are.
You may not be aware of me
Amid the celebrations.
You'll have to look beyond the stores
And all the decorations.
But if you take a moment
From your list of things to do
And listen to your heart, you'll find
I'm waiting there for you.
You're the one I want to be with,
You're the reason that I came,
And you'll find me in the stillness
As I'm whispering your name.
Love, Jesus
May we always remember that Jesus is the reason for every season.

"Today Is The Day To Live"
So many times we put off till tomorrow
What we can do today
We say some other time
Some other day
But today is the day to live
The day to do the many things left undone
The day that we give what we have to give
The day to play and have some fun
Life is for the living
Today reach out to someone who is in need
Touch a hand, change a life
Give gifts that keep on giving
Call family, call friends
Tell someone how much you love them
Today spread joy, cheer and happiness
Let your light shine its brightest
Today give the gift of love
Share the many blessings and gifts
God has given you
Today live and dare to be you
Written by: Tammy Boyle 7/9/01

Luke 1:46-49 – My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant; for behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed. For He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His name.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come. — 2 Corinthians 5:17

Jesus said, “I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.” - Matthew 5:44

Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased. - Hebrews 13:16

Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times." - Matthew 18:21-22

Just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. - Colossians 2:6-7

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. - Psalm 46:1

The Light by Dee Renaud
It's that time of year again: winter — the time when I experience the effects of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), which I wrote about in a previous devotional: Light And Darkness.
This year, I am trying faithfully to use my light therapy lamp. It's amazing how much better I feel when I do. Its compact design makes it easy to travel with, and it uses advanced technology to produce blue light, like bright daylight, to improve energy levels and mood. Just 20-30 minutes a day is all it takes to fight energy dips, fatigue, and winter blues. It actually has a similar effect on well-being as a sunny, blue-sky day does.
Everyone feels better on a sunny day. It's amazing what a little light can do. Sunlight improves our attitude and makes us feel more optimistic.
Similarly, time spent with our Lord, the light of the world, can energize us and give us the strength that we need to live our lives for Him.
John 8:12 – Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life." (NRSV)
Light is good.
Genesis 1:4 – And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. (NRSV)
When we keep our eyes on Jesus, we will be motivated to avoid the darkness of this world and walk in the light of His love.
John 12:46 – I have come as light into the world, so that everyone who believes in me should not remain in the darkness. (NRSV)
Just as my light therapy lamp requires only 20 to 30 minutes a day to improve my energy level, so spending 20 to 30 minutes a day in prayer with Jesus will give us the desire and the strength to walk obediently with Him each day.
We don't have to live in darkness. Let us always keep our eyes on Jesus and live the lives that we have been called to live in Him.
Ephesians 5:8 – For once you were darkness, but now in the Lord you are light. Live as children of light. (NRSV)
Prayer: Heavenly Father, we are truly thankful for Your Son, Jesus, the light of the world. Help us to spend time in His presence every day so that we can live in His light instead of in the darkness of this world. Thank You for using ordinary people like us to do Your work in the world. Shine Your light in and through us so that we may be a blessing to others and reflect His light into the lives of those around us. We pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.

Lord Jesus, I want to know you personally. Thank you for dying on the cross for my sins. Thank You for forgiving me of my sins and giving me eternal life. Take control of my life. Make me the kind of person You want me to be. Amen

Read Through The Bible
Job 35
1 Elihu spake moreover, and said, 2 Thinkest thou this to be right, that thou saidst, My righteousness is more than God's? 3 For thou saidst, What advantage will it be unto thee? and, What profit shall I have, if I be cleansed from my sin? 4 I will answer thee, and thy companions with thee. 5 Look unto the heavens, and see; and behold the clouds which are higher than thou. 6 If thou sinnest, what doest thou against him? or if thy transgressions be multiplied, what doest thou unto him? 7 If thou be righteous, what givest thou him? or what receiveth he of thine hand? 8 Thy wickedness may hurt a man as thou art; and thy righteousness may profit the son of man. 9 By reason of the multitude of oppressions they make the oppressed to cry: they cry out by reason of the arm of the mighty. 10 But none saith, Where is God my maker, who giveth songs in the night; 11 Who teacheth us more than the beasts of the earth, and maketh us wiser than the fowls of heaven? 12 There they cry, but none giveth answer, because of the pride of evil men. 13 Surely God will not hear vanity, neither will the Almighty regard it. 14 Although thou sayest thou shalt not see him, yet judgment is before him; therefore trust thou in him. 15 But now, because it is not so, he hath visited in his anger; yet he knoweth it not in great extremity: 16 Therefore doth Job open his mouth in vain; he multiplieth words without knowledge.

Dear Lord, help us to take time during this busy holiday season to rest in Your holy presence. May we hear Your still, small voice in the midst of our worship and celebration. In Jesus' precious name, we pray. Amen.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply