Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 03-31-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Wisdom For Today - April

April 1

Wisdom for Today
I did not choose to become an alcoholic or an addict. No one came to my school when I was growing up and said, "Who in here wants to be an alcoholic or an addict when they grow up?" I didn't raise my hand, and I didn't volunteer to have this affliction. No one chooses to become addicted. I started out just wanting to have a good time. Just like everyone else. I do not know what caused me to get this disease – genetics, my psychological make-up, social pressure or some combination of a lot of things. It does not matter. I have this disease.
I may not have chosen to become addicted to alcohol and drugs; but once I found out that I did have this problem, once my denial was broken, I became responsible for the choices I made regarding my recovery. I made the choice to continue going to meetings. I made the choice to work the steps. I made the choice to use my sponsor and the fellowship to help me along the way. Perhaps the only choice I did not make was God, as I understand Him. He chose me. Each day I have to make choices regarding my program. Each day I have to decide what I will value. Each day I have to make choices to do the next right thing. Each day I must walk the walk. For this I am responsible. Am I taking responsibility for my recovery?
Meditations for the Heart
"There is a time for every season under heaven." In fact, there is a proper time for everything. This is why the steps are numbered. This is why we must learn patience. I cannot hurry recovery. I must learn that I have to do things in a certain order. If I hurry things, I may do things at the wrong time leading to the wrong results. Timing is important, and this is why I had a sponsor to advise me when to do things in my recovery. This is why I listened to others at meetings to learn when to do things and in what order. If I tried to make amends before examining my character defects and my motives, I would have likely fallen on my face; or I would have hurt others further. I had to learn balance before I could risk stepping away from the chair holding me up. In the same way I had to learn balance in my recovery before I could even begin to trust my decisions. This is why I need to stop along the path and rest when it is needed. This is why I must ask for help and guidance when it is needed. Do I pause to consider timing along my journey?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
Taking responsibility is something I seldom did. Teach me responsibility in my recovery. Help me to listen for Your will for me, and provide me with the power I need to carry out Your desire. Help me to judge the timing of my behavior, and teach me to wait in patience when I need to. Let me seek out wisdom through others in the program who will show me the way.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 2

Wisdom for Today
I remember one time when I asked my sponsor, "What is your secret? I mean how do you stay happy?" He just laughed as he often did when I asked him a question. Then he looked at me seriously, and he said, "Take it as it comes." I wasn't really sure what he meant, but over the next years I began to understand what he said more and more. What he was referring to was taking life as it comes. Deal with your troubles as they arise; maintain a sense of inner calm in the middle of your problems, knowing that God is near; and rise above the problems of life, keeping yourself spiritually healthy. This was the secret that was at first hidden to me in my sponsor's statement, "Take it as it comes."
In my recovery I like many others have had to face many different problems. Often times I have felt weighted down by the inescapable events of life and the pain that sometimes comes with these events. Loss in particular has been hard, whether it is the death of a loved one, or loss of a job due to economic pressures and downsizing or loss of health. Any loss can be difficult, but I have learned in recovery to take it as it comes. I can face problems as they arise. I can maintain an inner calm in the storms of life. I can rise above and stay spiritually healthy. Do I "Take it as it comes?"
The other important part of my sponsor's message was the fact that I also had to learn to take the blessings I received as they came. It became important for me to learn to recognize each blessing I got along the journey of recovery. It became important for me to carry these blessings with me. It also became important for me to give these blessings away to others in the program. My sponsor told me that I would receive blessings along the way in recovery, but I had no idea that so many good things could happen to me. Every time a window was closed, God has opened a door somewhere else for me. Each time I felt weak, I have been given strength. Each time I give away these things to others in the program, I am blessed again. Because each time I give it away, I am allowed to keep what I have. Do I bring blessings to others along my journey?
God,
One day at a time I have learned to walk with You on this road of recovery. You have placed people in my life that have shared their wisdom and courage and strength with me. Show me now how to be a blessing to others in my life that they may reap the blessings of recovery just as I have.
Amen.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 04-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 3

Wisdom for Today
It seemed like I was always bored when I was using. Nothing really interested me anymore. I drank and used to escape this boredom, or I would work to create a crisis in my life to find a way out of the boredom. Sure there were times when I had fun, but most of the time I was just bored. Sometimes I would make up stories and lie just to make myself look good. Yes, I enjoyed the scamming and the tall tales, but every night I would go home to the same old thing. I really didn't have any friends, just people with whom I passed the time.
Early in recovery I thought that AA was boring. I thought that staying clean and sober was a terrible way to have to exist. I was wrong. Why was it that so many people decided to stay after the meeting? What was it that kept them interested? I began to hang out after the meetings and soon learned that recovery had many faces, none of which are boring. Here I learned of truth. Here I learned how to value friendship. Here I learned about trust. No longer did I need to scam. These people were genuine and real. They talked honestly and openly. I found a new sense of energy and no longer was bored. Have I found new meaning and something exciting about life in recovery?
Hope can accomplish many things in recovery. I have watched as one obstacle after another fell or disappeared from my life simply because I was willing to hold onto hope. Hope that God could and would if He were sought! Hope that the promises could be true even for me! Hope comes through working these steps. It comes to us as a gift of His grace. Hope comes to us in surrender, and it grows in our hearts with each new day. Sometimes it seems elusive, and at other times hope can seem very distant. Yet if we search, there is always hope. Have I found hope in the Twelve Steps?
God,
You have helped me find new meaning in my life. You have planted a seed of hope deep within my heart. Help me this day to cultivate and nourish this hope. Let it ever grow to strengthen me. Guide me always back to the roots of this hope for a new life in the program.
Amen.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 4

Wisdom for Today
For a long period of time recovery seemed to be a long series of tasks that I didn’t want to do but needed to do and then waited to find out why. And in many ways this is exactly what recovery is meant to be. The Twelve Step program is a process of seeking continually to improve our lives and who we are. It is more about being on the path to our goal, rather than achieving it. It is tempting to begin and measure how long we have been clean and sober in years, but the truth is that none of us ever fully reaches our goals or is fully cured. Many of the steps seem to be difficult, and often times I wanted to avoid or skip over some of the steps. But I kept remembering the statement from the Big Book, “Half measures availed us nothing.”

It became more important to stick with the program and work through the steps than risk relapse. Over time I began to see the effects of the program in my life. The promises started to come true in my life. I was changing, and life was getting better. It then became easier to want to sit back and rest. Then I discovered there could be no long rest stops. I needed to keep working the steps in all situations that I faced in my life. My addiction was only held in check by continuing to work my program one day at a time. Am I continuing to work on improving my life in recovery?
Most projects in life require some preparation before actually doing the work. This is certainly the case in recovery. Each of us in the program did the preparation work necessary to become members of the program. Our addiction earned us a place at meetings. Each step in the program prepares us for the next. Each meeting I attend prepares me for the events of my life. For a long time I heard people at meetings say, “Take what works and leave the rest.” I know in part this statement refers to maintaining confidentiality and anonymity, but it didn’t tell me how to use what I had heard. Then one day I heard someone say this statement differently. He said, “Take what works and store the rest.” I liked this concept. It meant that everything I heard at meetings could be saved and used when it was needed. Today I see meetings as a way to stay prepared for whatever cards I am dealt in life. Am I storing the knowledge I hear at meetings?
God,

Thank You for welcoming me into a new day. Let me take this day and use it to accomplish any task that You set before me. Help me to increase my willingness and to find courage to move ahead when I am called on to do so. Let me seize every opportunity to make progress that is given me.

Amen.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 04-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 5

Wisdom for Today
When things got their worst, I really felt hopeless. I spent time in worry about my future. Was I going to end up locked up somewhere? Would I end up in some mental hospital? Would I end up dead? Worry was such terrible mental torment. What was going to happen to me if I couldn't find a way out of the madness of addiction? I knew there was nothing I could do to find a way out on my own. It was a scary but simple choice. I could end it all in suicide, or I could ask for help.
In desperation I reached out for help and found what I was looking for. In the program a new hope was born, and I actually began to believe that my life could turn out okay. The thing that still baffles me is the fact that I still find it difficult at times to ask for help. After years of evidence that asking for help works, I still find myself at times backing myself into a corner. Why is asking for help so hard? I think the answer to that question is different for each of us. Sometimes it is pride or arrogance. Sometimes it is simply foolishness or lack of commonsense. Sometimes it is fear of letting someone else know. Regardless of the reason, it is only when we come back to a place of surrender and honestly and humbly reach out that we find help. My goal is to remember this one day at a time. Do I still find it hard to ask for help?
One act in surrender is the act of obedience. When I walk though my day and ignore the directions that my Higher Power provides, I end up in trouble. When I follow the guidance I am given, I find that life goes much easier. In my addiction I always wanted to break the rules or at least bend them. I pretended that they did not apply to me. This is something I can't afford to do in recovery. It is too easy to get off the path of recovery if I do not obey the rules. Yes, I know that in the program you are told that there are no rules, only suggestions. But these suggestions are a matter of life and death. So whether you see them as rules or only suggestions, surrender involves the act of obedience. Sometimes I do not always like the suggestions I am given, yet in surrender I still need to be willing to follow the guidance I am given. Do I practice obedience, or do I want to still bend the rules?
God,
Help me stay open to all the suggestions I am given and recognize that Your direction comes to me though many different channels. Let me hear the words of Your guidance and be willing to obey and follow where You lead. Let me not forget that You care about me and will lead me to a good place.
Amen.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 04-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 6

Wisdom for Today
The program has taught me how to live life. I am not really sure how or even when this
happened, but life started to make sense, and using the Twelve Steps in my life started to make sense. Today I can see what to do when problems come up in my life. I don’t have to sweat it out like I did in my days of active use of alcohol and drugs. I know I have a support system behind me that will help me through any problem I have. No, they won’t do my taxes for me; but they will help me have the right attitude when I do them. They won’t help me in my parenting, but they will teach me how to change the things I can and accept what I can’t change.

Recovery is about learning to live again. And there are many lessons to learn; but it is
nice to know that I do not face life alone, no matter what. I can count on the program. I
can count on my Higher Power. I can count on the steps. I can use the tools, and it works. Yes, the program has taught me how to live; but it has also given me many gifts. I never thought the promises would come true for me. But they continue to happen in my life. I can trust the program to be there for me no matter what is going on in my life. Have I learned to count on the program?
Life also teaches me. Sometimes the lessons are difficult, and other times the lessons are quite pleasant, but either way life is a good teacher. As I am on this journey called
recovery, it is important for me to stop from time to time and look at the big picture. It
is easy to get caught up in all the day-to-day details of life and forget about the bigger
picture. Simple questions help me do this. How is my life going? How is my recovery work going? Am I getting to the place my higher Power wants me to be? Am I happy? Are the promises of the program coming true for me? Is there anything I need to change in my life? What are the roadblocks that seem to be getting in the way? These types of questions help me to focus on the bigger picture. Do I take time out to look at the bigger picture?
God,

Today is another gift from You. Teach me Your plans for me today, and give me courage for the road ahead. Help me to take my blinders off and to see the bigger picture of life. Help me to keep going in the direction I need to go to keep growing.

Amen.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 7

Wisdom for Today
One temptation we all seem to face at one time or another is over-confidence. For me it happens when everything seems to be going along smoothly. It becomes easy to forget the gift that recovery is and begin to take it all forgranted. Then I seem to somehow switch my thinking and no longer see His grace in my life. I no longer accept that I was given such a precious opportunity as recovery, and I begin to assume that somehow I have done something that has caused me no longer to need the program. I begin to become self-confident and assume I can deal with my disease on my own. I don't need help. Humility exits stage right, and I am left holding the bag. Denial creeps back into my life, and I am suddenly vulnerable to the voice of addiction.
This voice begins to whisper in my ear, and I begin to think I can handle things on my own. Addiction keeps on talking; and soon it has me in its clutches, trying to convince me that "one won't hurt," or "No one will know." Yes, self-confidence is a very dangerous road to travel. It most certainly can lead to relapse. But even if I resist this voice, I still find myself isolated and miserable. The only way out is to go back to the beginning. Go back to the steps. I have to admit I am powerless and out of control. I need to realize that there is hope, and as the Big Book says, "There is one who has all power; may you find Him now." Do I allow myself to become over-confident?
Recovery is not a stagnant process. We are either moving ahead, stuck and immobilized or backsliding. Each of us experiences each of these states in our recovery to a different extent. The important thing is that we see when we are getting into trouble and then do something about it. We need to put the program into action to stay on the right path. We need to walk in humility and be willing to ask for help along the way. Recovery is a program of action, and I need to be willing to take the steps necessary to stay on track. I need to be willing to go to any length to achieve and maintain sobriety. I need to listen to only one voice and that is the voice of God, as I understand Him. I cannot afford to risk listening to the voice of addiction. It is cunning, baffling and powerful. Do I watch to make sure I am staying on the right path?
God,
Help me this day to walk in humility and to value the gift I have been given in recovery. Let me not take anything forgranted and stay focused on Your will for me. Give me this day the strength and courage I need to walk the path You lay before me. Keep me from becoming prideful, and help me in all that I do today.
Amen.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 8

Wisdom for Today
One of the promises of the program states, "We will intuitively know how to handle problems which used to baffle us." Well, I am not sure how intuitive I am; but I do know that the Twelve Step program has indeed taught me a better way to understand my problems and my role in them. I have learned many new habits in the program. I know that I have choices today that I did not have before. I can ask for help. I can get feedback from others in the program. I do not need to overreact or under react to the problems that come up in my life. I can deal with each new issue or concern as it arises. I can turn things over to my Higher Power.
One thing is for sure; as each new twenty-four hours pass, I gain new insights and new ideas. I find that I do not need to run from my problems. I do not need to isolate. I do not need to use alcohol or drugs to escape. I can stand firm and know that with the help of the program, I will be able to deal with problems that come up in my life. I no longer need to let fear, sorrow, anger and frustration, or loss lead me into trouble. I do not need to try so hard anymore, because I have come to trust that the program works. Am I finding it easier to deal with problems now?
Daily we learn lessons in recovery. God provides us with many opportunities to learn new insights, new behaviors, new habits and new ways of thinking. Recovery helps to change our faulty belief systems. Perhaps one of the more difficult lessons I have had to learn is to remain calm in the middle of life's storms. Yet regardless of the events that take place in our lives, God's command and promise are the same. "Fear not, for I am with you always." Learning to trust in His power is a task that we all face. When I am stressed out by life, I need to remember to stay calm. When troubles come into my day, I need to remember to stay calm. I need to remember that He is with me every step of the way. I need to trust in His Power. I need to trust in His wisdom. I need to trust in His understanding and in His grace. Do I remain calm in the storm?
God,
I do not know what this day has in store for me. Bit I do know that whatever life brings my way, I can trust that You are with me. Help me to remain calm in the difficulties I may face. Let me reach out to others and ask for their guidance and help. Let me also be of service in the things I do this day. Let me follow after You, because You know where best to lead.
Amen.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 9

Wisdom for Today
We owe a lot to the founders of the AA program. Although these same people would say that what they did was simply borrowed from others, they indeed put the pieces together to develop a program of recovery that works. It all started with two men desperate to find a way out of the insanity of alcoholism. They met and shared their stories with each other. They were not looking to help the other person, but looking for a way to help themselves. From these original two individuals, a group was formed. Then other groups formed following the same principles. Today there are hundreds and hundreds of groups worldwide. There are thousands upon thousands of people who have used the Twelve Steps to find recovery.
Each and every day new people join these groups. In each person's case, the beginning starts with admitting powerlessness and in turning it over to the care of a Power greater than themselves. This Higher Power surely has done great things in and among the individuals of these groups. Yes, it all started with two people who found strength in and with each other and through a Higher Power. I can look back now and know that I owe a great deal to this program. It saved my life. Am I doing what I can to help the program grow and flourish?
Meditations to my Higher Power
Many of the original principles of the program were adapted from the Bible and its teachings. One verse often sited by our founders was, "Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they will be filled." I know I could never be filled when I was drinking and using drugs. I always was left empty and spiritually bankrupt. I knew once I got into the program that I was hungry for something, but I really didn't know what. I just knew I had to stop, and I didn't know how. It did not take long though for me to hear and learn the steps. I began to realize that I would need to hunger and thirst after something other than drugs and alcohol. I would need to hunger and thirst after the will of a Power outside of myself. My way just did not work. Today I find that I still hunger and thirst; but now it is for the courage to do the will of God, as I understand Him. Do I know that I will be filled if I do God's will for me?
God,
Each day I wake up hungry for Your guidance. I thirst after Your strength and power in my life. Give me courage to become a servant in the groups I attend. Let me be willing to do any service work I am requested to do. Let me always remain grateful for the gift of this program and what it has done for me.
Amen.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 10

Wisdom for Today
I was one who always wanted to understand things. Sometimes this was very helpful, and at other times this knowledge seeking seemed to get in the way. For a long time I tried to understand the word humility as it is used in program literature. I spent hours paging through dictionaries, references, reading and re-reading but just couldn’t seem to gain understanding. Finally in frustration I asked for help at a meeting. The very thing that I was looking for was the thing that was stopping me from getting an answer. A lack of humility kept me from asking for help until I was so frustrated that I was miserable.

An old-timer on the other side of the room spoke up, “Sometimes you just have to be stupid.” I had known this individual for quite some time and knew he had only a third grade education. He could hardly read or write. But he was absolutely right. I had let my own ego and pride get in the way of asking for help. He went on to say, “I spent years trying to be something I wasn’t. I didn’t want to be me. Now I am spending time learning how to be the best me I can.” He talked about hiding behind his mask of alcoholism and addiction. He talked about walking out of the cloud of denial and walking into the light of truth. He talked of learning to accept himself – the good, the bad and the ugly. He said, “Today there is a whole lot less bad and ugly and a whole lot more good. People in the program showed me how to do that.” Am I finding a humble self-acceptance?
Learning can happen in a variety of different ways, but perhaps the most powerful learning I do is from my mistakes. When I fall on my face, stumble or miss the boat figuratively, I can use these experiences to learn. I can talk with others in the program and seek out different ways to handle similar situations in the future. I don’t have to keep making the same mistakes. In fact, today I believe the only mistakes that exist are the ones I do not learn from. In this life no one can achieve perfection in all that they do. We all miss the boat, fall on our face and stumble as we walk through life. When this happens, we have an opportunity to learn, take corrective action and change our behavior. My addiction was no mistake. I have learned much from this experience. I have learned a whole new way of living, thanks to the program and the wonderful fellowship of friends I have. Am I willing to learn from my mistakes?
God,

Each new day I am given new challenges and have Your assurance that You will walk with me. Help me this day to remain humble and open to asking for help. Let me learn how to truly accept whom and what I am. Give me eyes to see my strengths and eyes to see my weaknesses. Keep me realistic in my opinion of myself.
Amen.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 11

Wisdom for Today
When I was drinking and using drugs, I could find every excuse imaginable to justify my getting drunk or high and explain my behavior. This in part helped to support my denial system. As long as I could blame, excuse or explain everything to others and myself, I was okay. But it did not take long and my excuses no longer worked. My own rationalizations and reasons didn’t hold water, let alone a drink. The games I played with myself were complex and filled with self-deceit. Eventually I began to realize that what I was doing was not normal. It wasn’t even close.

I faced my addiction to alcohol and drugs and realized I had to find a way to stop. But even here, my excuses continued. My disease was not about to give up without a struggle. Even when I finally did give up and got clean and sober, I still worked hard to find excuses. Then I heard a comment at a meeting that stuck with me. Someone I had never met before and never saw again at a meeting, probably a visitor in the area stated, “Being alcoholic does not give me permission to act alcoholically.” This statement remains with me today. It has become one of the treasures I received in the program. Am I done with my excuses?
God, as I understand Him, has grown in my life in recovery. My concept and my openness to Him have changed remarkably in my recovery process. What I once perceived as Judge, now has become my Friend. What I once perceived as distant has now become close. What I once perceived as unreachable has now become reachable. This change is certainly most welcome in my life. Having a relationship with this Holy Power that is active, close and reachable has opened many doors that I thought were closed. Even more importantly, when doors were closed, a window was opened for me. I no longer have to walk blindly along the path and now have a most experienced Guide. As my excuses, which prevented a relationship with a Higher Power, disappeared I found security, hope, strength and humility. Do I have roadblocks standing in the way of my relationship with God?
God,

Help me this day to be honest in all that I do. Let me not seek to hide behind excuses and games. Instead, let me find ways to be genuine and real. Let me seek to improve my conscious contact with You and seek to do Your will in the tasks that I face this day. Hold me close in Your protective arms.

Amen.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:10 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 12

Wisdom for Today
Sometimes even in recovery I just get in a bad mood. I don't even need a reason for this to happen. It just seems like I got out of bed on the wrong side that morning. Even my morning meditation doesn't seem to get me back on track. Then I rush off, headlong into my day with my bad mood. These are the times when I am most likely to feel like it just isn't working. I get frustrated easily. I get crabby and irritable. Someone can look at me the wrong way or say the wrong thing to me, and I am off to the races. I can take it personally and become judgmental or even lash out in a manner that does not show any respect for the other person.
Sometimes by mid-morning or early afternoon I realize that I am having a bad day. At the end of my day I look back and regret how I behaved, and I don't like what I see. This is where Step Ten becomes so important for my recovery. I look back over my day and can honestly see that most if not all of my difficulty has to do with my attitude and my behavior. I need to look back and admit my mistakes, I may even have some amends to make the next time I talk with the people with whom I have interacted throughout my day. I also need to look back and see what went wrong. If I am unwilling to learn from these days, I will likely repeat them. Here I have found that talking to my sponsor or someone else in the program is important. I need to bounce things off of someone else and do some reality testing. Do I take inventory at the end of my day?
Often times when my day is screwed up, I need to look at where I am in my spirituality. Have I behaved in a way that my Higher Power would want me to? Invariably the answer to this question is “No.” I may have gone through the motions of a morning meditation, but I never really made conscious contact with God, as I understand Him. Just going through the motions doesn't work for me. My day started off badly because I took things forgranted. I took my Higher Power forgranted. I just did not want to really take the time to ask for help or direction. I just mouthed the words. But God has a sense of humor. He looks at me and laughs at the mess I get myself into and says, "He'll be back." Then God waits silently for me to come back, and when I do he laughs and says, "Did it again, huh? Tried walking through the forest with a blindfold on, and you fell on your face. When are you going to learn?" Do I know where to turn when I get off track?
God,
This morning let me not move too quickly and just take things forgranted. Slow me down and encourage me to open my ears to Your voice. Let me remember that You are my friend, and I need to treat my relationship with You as one who is my best friend. Be my guide this day, and grant me a willing heart to follow.
Amen.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 13

Wisdom for Today

There were literally thousands of reasons I drank and used drugs. I used because it was a good day, and I used because it was a bad day. I drank and used because I was happy, and I drank and used because I was miserable. I spent hour after hour trying to figure out why I could not drink or use like other people. Many of us seek help and advice from a variety of professionals. Some of us spend time in hospitals or in jails only to find out this offers only a temporary reprieve. Even when I thought I found out why I drank and used the way I did, it did not stop me from continuing my obsession.

Eventually I had to realize I had gone too far. I was over the edge and falling fast. I was drinking like an alcoholic. I was using drugs like an addict. Even this did not stop me. It gave me more reasons to use. I was destroying my life, and I couldn’t stop. I wasn’t trying to destroy myself, but I couldn’t stop it either. My will to stop the insanity was defeated. In utter powerlessness I had to admit to myself that my way did not work. Figuring out the answers did not work. Understanding the reasons did not work. If I ever was going to stop, I had to find an answer that was not my answer. Have I stopped the obsession with trying my way?

Where would I find this answer if it was not going to be mine? To whom could I turn? “Ask, and you shall receive.” This line was where I found the answers to my obsession. I knew I could not stop the insanity on my own. What I didn’t know until I came into the program was that I could do almost anything if I asked for God’s help. Early in recovery I kept trying to convince myself that I was a useless person who could never do anything right. The program changed all that. I found that I could indeed accomplish much with the help of God, as I understood Him. If I called on His strength and wisdom, it was there waiting for me. All I had to do was accept this gift. All I had to do was follow, and I would be lead to a new place. I would lose the obsession. I would learn a new way of living my life. Have I accepted the gift of His grace?

God,

Today I pray for acceptance of the wonderful gift of Your grace in my life. Let me willingly follow You where I am being led. Help me to let go of my old ways of thinking and behaving and learn a new way of living my life. Help me to be rid of my obsession completely.

Amen.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 14

Wisdom for Today
There are those times when anger just seems to bubble up in life. It really doesn't matter what the cause of the anger is, what is important is how we react to the anger. Anger can be a very strong emotion that can play havoc in our lives. It is perhaps the emotion that we are most likely to lose control of, as if we really had any control to begin with. Each of us has our own unique set of clues that we are angry. Perhaps it is when you clench your jaw tighter, or when your breathing becomes deeper. We know that anger is lurking in our lives when these clues tell us it is close by.
Anger can jump up out of nowhere, and it can silently sneak up on us. Still, when this happens, we have choices. We have a choice not to run to the bottle. We have a choice not to run to drugs. We have a choice about how we behave when anger occurs. The program gives us these choices and many more. When anger comes up for me, I know that my thinking gets screwed up quickly; and so I know I must use the steps and ask my Higher Power for help. I need to stay aware of my character defects coming into play. I need to take slow breaths and seek shelter from the storm. I call my sponsor and discuss the matter. I pray. I use the steps, and I find healthier ways to respond to life. Do I know what I need to do when I become angry?
Painful as early recovery can be, one day each of us finds out the reasons for this pain. It is important for me to be open to learning in my pain, because I know these can indeed be valuable life lessons. Pain is not just about being tested or about loss; it can also be a time of instruction and also preparation for the rest of our journey in recovery. When I am in the middle of a painful situation, I don't like it. It is uncomfortable, and it hurts. Today I have learned much from my painful times. It brings me into much closer contact with my Higher Power. It can teach faith in the struggle. It can bring new insights into how our own behavior is at least in part responsible for the pain. Pain also can strengthen and toughen the spirit. Pain also can be a strong way of telling us that what we are seeking is not good for us. Pain can be a very good teacher. Am I open to learning the lessons that pain can teach? Do I know that all pain eventually subsides and goes away?
God,
Today I pray that if I am tested, I also will be willing to grow through the process. Help me to remain focused on my responsibilities when I am angry or in pain. Lift me up so that I might know that You are with me. Let me trust You with the outcome.
Amen.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 15

Wisdom for Today
Most of us can look back and see that long before we finally quit drinking and using, we were out of control. I know for myself, I clearly went through a period of time where I refused to admit I had a problem, even though I knew the evidence was there to say I did. I hung onto my denial as long as I could. But my denial did not stop the consequences from happening. My disease was following the only course it knew. Addiction’s job is to progress and cause pain, and that is exactly what happened in my case.
Like most addicts, it took a lot to finally convince me that I had a problem. After enough pain and the denial falling apart, I had no other choice but to finally admit that I was sick and could not control it. This was an important turning point and an important lesson. I was defeated by alcohol and drugs. I learned that alcohol and drugs have no equal at handing out pain. I also knew I had no choice but to give up and stop trying to hold on to my old ideas. My way just did not work; and as long I kept trying, my disease would continue to take me down. Am I firmly convinced I am beaten?
"There is one who has all power, may you find Him now." For me this One who has all power is a force for good in my life. God always is about good. As long as I seek after His plans for me, I know that He will bring about good in my life. This doesn't mean I never will have problems in my life, but it does mean that my Higher Power will give me what I need to deal with these struggles. It does mean that if I follow His will, I will find good in my life. I also know that He has a purpose for me in this life I lead. God wants me to have my desires to become aligned with His desires. If I am able to do this, I can be assured that everything will be all right. I will be on God's side. Do I seek to align my will with that of God, as I understand Him?
God,
Each day I am reminded that I need to seek after Your will for me. I do this because I choose not to fall back into the insanity of my life. I do this to grow. Teach me, mold me, and shape me into what You want me to be. Let me understand Your purpose for me in this day. Let me trust that where You lead me will be a good place.
Amen.
Post New ThreadReply