Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Daily Spiritual Meditations Post spiritual meditations here to read and feel free to share.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 03-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Power for Living

Power for Living Part 1 - The Promise of Hope

by Gail Rodgers
It had been another dry year. The water in the town reservoir was at the lowest it had ever been. Rationing was called for. Lawns could not be watered, gardens had to make it on whatever the morning dew left them, even showers and baths were limited. The river was nearly dry now… the river that fed the water to the town’s reservoir. The dry winds and penetrating sun, the cloudless skies and the lack of rain had all added up to a mere trickle of muddy water and a desperate situation.

Across the miles another town lavished in green lawns, children running through sprinklers and gardens bringing forth their harvest. This town too had felt the dry winds and the hot sun. It was not the first year of the dry spell here either, yet the supply of water was not limited. Why was this reservoir full? A sparkling spring, spontaneous and constant sprang up from inside the earth. The climate of the day or even of the year did not affect the supply. It was fed by a source deep within.
Life can sometimes bring us the dry winds of hardship, the hot sun of blistered relationships and long periods that seem to bring no relief. Our resources evaporate to a mere trickle and we find our hearts longing for a cool and refreshing drink. When these droughts of life last we find our situation can feel desperate and we wonder how relief will ever come.
The God of the Bible offers us a drink… but wait… it is more than just a drink! He offers to let us tap into His constant flow of living water… water that refreshes the desperate soul, water that becomes our source within. But how can this be?
It is a mystery from the heart of God… a response from His heart to ours when we call on Him in the midst of our emptiness. He waits for you to call, “God, help me.”
“God, come into my life and help me live.”
“God, forgive me for needing to always do it my way”.
“God, please do it Your way in my life”.

Choose God today in your life and watch the mystery unfold. Watch how He will bring that refreshing into your soul. It is called the Holy Spirit…... the Comforter…... the Helper God left for us when Jesus returned to Heaven. He is the spring within that will bring help and strength, wisdom and comfort, patience and love. And hope that will lighten your heart. He will be the steady hand in the face of trouble and the source for all of life.
Sound too good to be true? Dare to journey in the power of the Holy Spirit and you will find Power for Living like you never believed.
“I have come that they might have life and have it to the full.” John 10:10
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

Power for Living Part 2 - Walking with the Teacher

by Gail Rodgers
The day I met her she was so weary! Oh not just in her body, she knew how to keep pushing and somehow always managed to do what she had to do. Bumping into her in the grocery store you never would have guessed the exhaustion of her soul that threatened to overwhelm her from just below the masked surface.

But in the quiet moment we shared the mask came down briefly and the tears rushed in unbidden. The tasks life had called her to were overwhelming and she was tired of thinking about it all, tired of carrying the load. It seemed relief was not an option and wiping away the tears of the unguarded moment she mustered a smile and said, “Oh, I’ll be alright… it’s just been a long day.” And she hurried off to try to convince herself that it would be so. A weary soul!
Many are the avenues of advice to rest your body… to exercise it and eat right and be rejuvenated through vitamins, aroma or a variety of other things. . Even rest for the mind is well advocated through retreats and times of reflection, books and tapes that promise a certain level of peace.
But rest for the soul? Rest in the very depths of our being, in the very places we carry the burdens that we so seldom speak of yet feel their weight regularly. Is there such a thing available?
Listen to this invitation… an invitation hard to turn down:
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest…let me teach you for I am gentle and humble and you will find rest for your soul.” Matthew 12:28-30
It’s Jesus invitation to every weary soul. It’s an invitation to true rest, rest that is deeper and more satisfying than any 9-hour slumber or any weekend at the spa!
If you have cried out to God to help you, to come into your life and help you with the burdens that weary your soul, He welcomes you with His words, “Come… let me teach you… “.
Your walk with God is interactive. He is a very personal God that will teach you how to respond to Him. You are not a puppet tossed about by a careless God. You are a treasured child who He has waited for. His invitation to “Come” and find that rest for your soul is real. He gives His Helper, His Holy Spirit to come in and work with our spirit to strengthen us and, when necessary, change us as He teaches us.
In Part 1 you said “yes” to God. Are you ready now to learn? Don’t be afraid. He is gentle and humble. Saying “yes” to God doesn’t guarantee a flower strewn pathway but it does guarantee power for living. Take His hand and come… let’s learn together.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

Power for Living Part 3 - Know Who You Are

by Gail Rodgers
The Bag Lady did not understand her identity. She had lived so long as a bag lady. But the letter told her different today. It said she was an heiress. It said she was a wealthy woman. It said she had connections to one of the most powerful families in the area. “Nice”, she thought as she set the letter aside amidst the clutter of her life. It gave her comfort to read the letter now and then. But she continued to think of herself as a bag lady. She simply could not picture herself with that name and that wealth and that inheritance and so she continued on in her poverty.

When we come to God He gives us a new identity. He says that we become His children. We have access to all the resources of His power. Yet, even as Christians, we so often continue to see ourselves in our old ways, just as the bag lady did.
In order to learn the ways of Jesus you first need to understand how God sees you. You first need to understand who you really are! When you said “yes” to God you stepped into a new identity. But just knowing that will not make the difference until you begin to walk it. When you begin to understand all that your new identity means, you can begin to live in the truth of who God says you are rather than in the ways you have come to view yourself through the ups and downs life has brought your way.
You are God’s treasured child! You do not get your identity from what you have done, or from what has been done to you. You do not get your identity from what your earthly parents have said to you and about you! Those things have influenced the past but today is a new day for you as God’s child! You get your identity from what God says about you! He is your Father. He created you to be all He knows you can be! And He is like no earthly Father!! Right here, right now, begin to change the way you see yourself. Put away the bag lady mentality of the past and step into who you are because of Jesus.
Know this for a certainty:
  • You are loved (John 3:16)
  • You are called Christ’s friend (John 15:15)
  • You are forgiven (Colossians. 1:14)
  • You are God’s adopted child (Ephesians. 1:5)
  • You can be sure that because God has started a good work in your heart, He will complete it! (Philippians 1:6)
  • You have a future and a hope. He has plans for you. (Jeremiah 29:11)
Get yourself a Bible and highlight these verses. Think on them. Absorb the truth of who you are in God’s sight. When thoughts of low self esteem and insecurity crowd your mind, learn how to take those thoughts captive and replace them with the truth of what God says about you.
You are precious and significant in His sight! Believe it! Walk in your new identity!
Old 03-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

Power for Living Part 4 - Carry On Baggage

by Gail Rodgers
As my bag went through the x-ray machine at the airport the security guard pulled me aside. “You have three electronic devices”, she said. “Would you show them to me please! As I dug the items out for inspection I was aware of how the security had increased. They were doing their best to make sure nothing got on board that aircraft that could cause potential damage.

I was reminded of my own life and how carelessly I sometimes let things on board that can cause potential damage simply through my thoughts. A verse in God’s Instruction Book, the Bible, made new sense to me. “Take captive every thought unto the obedience of Jesus Christ.” (2 Cor. 10:5) When I have negative thoughts, self condemning thoughts, thoughts that tear others apart, or in other words, thoughts that are not the kind of thoughts Jesus would be pleased with, I can recognize them as potentially harmful and choose to let them come on board or I can take them captive and choose to throw them out.
Does it matter which I choose? After all my thoughts are my thoughts. They are private and they make up me and what I am thinking and feeling. They are simply my business and no one else’s. Does it matter if they please God? Listen to this. The Bible says that…
“as a person thinks… so he is.” Prov. 23:7
Your thoughts are critical to who you are. You become what you think. Because God created you to be uniquely you and knows best what will bring fulfillment and passion in your life, He can be trusted to help you sort through your thoughts so you can become all He knows you can be.
Many self-help books these days promote positive thinking. But in spite of how hard we try ourselves, we all know the frustration of thoughts we just don’t want but seem powerless to stop and the disturbing feelings that wrong thinking can bring us.
The minute you recognize a thought that you don’t want on board run to Jesus. Tell Him the things tumbling about in your mind: the angry thought, the anxious worries, the critical thoughts of yourself or others and ask Him to remove them. As often as necessary ask Him to remove the thoughts you do not want on board. Ask Him to send His peace in their place. His peace is not just a feel good feeling. It’s a peace that is deep and abiding and will hold you in the storms of life.
It almost sounds too simple doesn’t it? We all know how persistent wrong thoughts can be. The power of the Holy Spirit is what helps us change our thinking in those inner secret places only we know about. And you know what happens when we begin to take captive our thoughts and invite God into the recesses of our minds? We change. It is a promise from the heart of the Father:
“Be transformed by the renewing of your mind… ” Romans 12:2.
When we invite Jesus into our lives He doesn’t promise to smooth out all the bumps in the road. He promises to actually change us, transform us, and make us new. Allow that change to begin to take place today by choosing to choose your thoughts with His help!
Old 03-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

Power for Living Part 5 - Guarding Your Heart

by Gail Rodgers
The ambulance ride to the hospital took us all by surprise. Dad’s heart attack was completely unexpected! As we awaited Dad’s surgery we learned a clogged artery in his heart had caused all the problem. Years of not being careful what went into his mouth now took its toll on his heart. Not heeding the warnings nearly cost him his life!

What happens in our physical hearts when we allow too much junk in is much the same as what happens to us spiritually when we leave our hearts unguarded. The Bible warns us in pretty strong language:
“Above all else, guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life”. Proverbs 2:23
“The wellspring”... . that place where everything bubbles out from. You know the old saying, “It isn’t your actions that tell so much about what you are like as it is your reactions”. What springs forth in that unexpected moment comes from the heart. Love, faith, inspiration, or frustration, anger, criticism, all spring from the same place. A place that needs guarding because things sneak in and we often don’t even realize they are there, clogging the system, until that reaction springs forth surprising even ourselves.
So how does one guard the heart? By first guarding the thoughts. Thoughts not taken captive (Part 4) begin to run a rut in our minds and make their way down into our hearts where they become an attitude! Attitudes permeate our lives.
Having the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives to help us guard our hearts will bring change in the attitudes that permeate our lives. When we are powerless to take captive our thoughts our hearts remain unguarded. The Holy Spirit will empower us to do this. You will notice that as you ask Him to help you take captive your thoughts and guard your heart you will become increasingly conscious of being able to choose throughout the day what you are thinking and how you are reacting. The nudge of the Holy Spirit comes quietly and quickly when we entertain wrong thinking and wrong attitudes. By choosing to respond to His gentle touch you will find yourself being “transformed by the renewing of your mind” Romans 12:2.
You can trust him for this and when you do you will find peace coming into your heart in ways you never imagined.
“God will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is steadfast on Him because he trusts in Him.” Isaiah 26:3&4
Old 03-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

Power for Living Part 6 - The Overflow

by Gail Rodgers
Do you ever have words spill out of your mouth and wonder, “Where did that come from?” Sometimes we surprise ourselves with wit or wisdom. But often we also surprise ourselves with quick retorts, cutting words of sarcasm, criticism or anger. We all know that nagging feeling in our souls thinking, “I shouldn’t have said that’, or “Why did I say that?” Yet sometimes we feel justified in having spilled out our reaction feeling like the other party really deserved the cutting edge of our words or better yet, we deserved to say them!

Words have tremendous power in them. Words can bring life or death as they pour from our lips. If we were asked to recall some words that hurt us, most of us would not have to think long to bring up some wound in our heart inflicted by someone’s words. The same is true of good things spoken. A sincere compliment warms the heart many times over.
In learning the ways of Jesus we discover the Bible has some significant things to say about our words. Listen:
“Reckless words pierce like a sword but the tongue of the wise brings healing.” Proverbs 12:18
And this:
“The tongue has the power of life and death.” Proverbs 18:21
We don’t have to live long to experience the truth of those verses. A parent or a teacher can inspire greatness in a child by life words. Life words carry people. Careless words can speak death to dreams or self-esteem, intentionally or unintentionally. Negative words drag people and situations down.
So how can we, as followers of Jesus, be the ones who speak life words when all too often we find ourselves spilling out something that we regret?
The answer is in tending to what is in our heart. The Bible says:
“Out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks”. Luke 6:45
It’s all in the process of letting the Holy Spirit help us take charge of our thoughts so that the right attitudes develop in our heart and “life words” spill out of our mouths.
Listen to yourself today. Your words will tell you what you are entertaining in your mind that is making a trail to your heart and spilling out from there.
Ask the Holy Spirit today to help you mind your mind!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

Power for Living Part 7 - Your choice

by Gail Rodgers
I really wanted to give him a piece of my mind! Nearly every time I encountered this fellow at work it was like rubbing up against sandpaper! I came away feeling agitated and annoyed… it could rob me of a good bit of my peace of mind for the day if I let it.

I realized that the reaction I let this person evoke in me actually gave him power over a portion of my day as I allowed agitation to take control in my spirit. I decided to consciously choose God’s way in my reaction and see what the difference would be.
Learning to walk in God’s ways, by the power of the Holy Spirit, opened my eyes to a new kind of response. I read this verse from God’s instruction book, The Bible, “A soft answer turns away anger but harsh words stir it up.” (Prov. 15:1) So I tried it. When I knew I would be encountering this particular gentleman, I prayed a quick prayer and asked God to fill me afresh with His Spirit and to give me a gentle response rather than the quick retort that was usually on my tongue. His Spirit gave me a soft answer that did not bite at his sarcastic remarks.
I returned to my office realizing afresh the truth and the power of God’s Word… responding God’s way defused the anger that would usually stir up within me. What freedom! That little experiment set me on a track of understanding that the Holy Spirit can indeed walk with me in the nitty, gritty of life. He is there for the little trials of life as well as the big stuff.
It is only His power that can help us change our responses to irritations that sneak in and rob us of our joy in the daily course of life. It is a daily choice…... an hourly choice… and even a moment by moment choice to choose the help of the Holy Spirit. Choosing God’s way to respond in God’s power brings a freedom to our spirit that is unequalled by any momentary satisfaction of a well-aimed retort.
Wherever harsh words are the norm in your life, invite the Spirit of God to help you respond in His power and watch the freedom that comes into your own soul. Every day in every situation of irritation you have the opportunity to:
“Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve.” Joshua 24:15
Making the choice is your part. Imparting power and strength is His part! Change your irritation to an invitation and watch God work!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

Power for Living Part 8 - Constant Prayer! You Gotta Be Kidding!

by Gail Rodgers
Our aviation company was rebuilding an airplane. It was a big job! It would take several months and the parts required would be numerous. I phoned the parts company and opened a Purchase Order for the project. It would remain open until the job was done. The parts could be picked up without delay as the crew needed them on a daily basis.

I try to do the same thing with my prayers. God’s Word, the Bible says:
“Pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.” Ephesians 6:18
And:
“Don’t be anxious about anything but pray about everything.” Phillipians 4:5
It can be a little overwhelming to think we are being asked to pray all day!! Here’s what I do. If I have a situation, a need, an issue, or a question that I know I really need God’s input on, I simply open a Purchase Order with God. I go to Him in prayer and tell Him my situation, maybe I need to have His help handling my finances, or perhaps it is with my teenager who is responding to me with icicles and I don’t know what to do… whatever it is I lay it out before God and tell Him I am opening a Purchase Order and I need to daily obtain wisdom and understanding from Him on this matter.
Then, as I go about my days I am conscious of His Spirit’s input into my life. It may be an article in a magazine that sheds some light, a discussion with a friend, a verse from the Scripture, an unusual communication opportunity with my teen. As I go about my days I am aware of God imputing the answer to my query step by step. Sometimes I am not quite sure how the particular piece of information I have just received fits into the whole picture, but I know it will and I breathe out a “Thankyou God, I know you are hearing and answering me. Continue to guide me”. And the pieces begin to fit together as the Divine hand of God becomes evident.
In the early stages of rebuilding the aircraft you might not have even recognized the project as an aircraft. As time goes on and big parts and little pieces come together it becomes visible. The open Purchase Order keeps the project moving forward without delay.
This process of keeping an open Purchase Order with God on the projects in my life enables me to keep my heart bent toward Him as I struggle through the stages of progress. It keeps me aware of His hand in each situation as I actively look for the parts and pieces He is supplying to me. I am more keenly aware of His provision even in the bits and pieces of life when it feels like the project I need His help on is lying all over the floor. As the process unfolds in my life I continue to breath out “help me, show me”. Then, as I acknowledge the things He sends my way in answer, I breath “Thankyou God” .
And the process of prayer becomes not a burden that I should be doing but rather a gift I get to participate in… an asking and receiving that makes me so aware of His hand in my life. Is there a situation in your life that is a rebuild project? Don’t be overwhelmed or discouraged by it. Simply open a Purchase Order with God, watch for His supply, thank Him as you get the bits and pieces and over time you will see the Divine Hand of God make something beautiful.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

Power for Living Part 9 - The Root System

by Gail Rodgers
Sue was pretty happy with her life. She had been telling herself for months that she was really OK. The hurt and pain of the pervious months were gone now, or so she thought. Life was settling into routine again and it felt good! She was glad the confusion seemed to have lifted and she could see clearly again. That’s why her response came as such a surprise to her.

Her new boss knew nothing of the past pain of being passed by for that promotion or the lies that had been told about her in order to justify the hurtful decision. It was all just a part of the past now she had thought. Until today, until her boss made a seemingly innocent comment and the hurt and anger welled up with a fresh vengeance that surprised even Sue herself. Some words sprang out, unbidden. Words that did not help her position in her new job. Words that did not leave the Christian testimony Sue so deeply desired to show. A bitter root. Justified perhaps by the storms of life, but nevertheless a root that would continue to fester and spring up in her life if not dealt with.
We all get them! Hurts that go down into the depths of our soul and fester there. God even talks about bitter roots. He says:
“Watch out that no bitterness takes root among you, for as it springs up it causes deep trouble, hurting many in their spiritual lives.” Hebrews 12:15
If you get bumped in life and find that a bitter root has been disturbed and springs up with in you, take action! When caught by surprise by a root system that you did not think was in your heart, dig it out! Ask God to take the hurt and pain and replace it with His peace.
Some roots get dug out all at once. Other roots go little by little as we begin to recognize their presence and ask for God’s help in dissolving it. Ask Him to reveal to you each time that root gets nudged so you can recognize it and call on His help in ridding your heart of it.
prayer & reflection

Dear Father,
Thank you that you know the habit I have of hanging on to roots that I need to let go of and place in your care. Nudge my heart today to get rid of those old roots of fear, anger and hurt. Help me today to turn each difficult challenge into an opportunity to reach for your strength so that no new roots take hold in my life.
Amen.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

Power for Living Part 10 - The Hidden Place

by Gail Rodgers
“Wow, it’s a good thing no one can read my mind”, thought Amy as she relished some very surprising thoughts for a moment! She had been indulging these thoughts off and on now for awhile. Oh, she knew they definitely weren’t too holy, that’s for sure, but what could it hurt?

Holiness is rather a musty word anyway! A lofty, unattainable word. A word we shrink back from because we all know our own, all too unholy, state at times. Or we think of the “holier than thou” folks we know and determine we don’t want that either.
As Christians we are to aspire to holiness… yet the very word itself makes us feel aliens to it. God puts into perspective for us… .
Listen to this:
“Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the hidden place.” Psalm 51:6
Truth in the inner parts, that’s what holiness is. Being honest with ourselves and with God. Being honest in those areas that only we know about. Asking for His help.
But we aren’t just talking about muddy areas that need cleaning up. We are also inviting God to teach us wisdom in the hidden place.
Do you ever doubt God in the hidden place of your heart? Do you ever question His timing or feel guilty because He is silent and you just can’t seem to reach Him? Do you struggle with relationships and circumstances but pretend things are fine? God tells us here to invite Him to teach us wisdom in these hidden places. He is a safe place to pour out all our doubts and fears. He is a safe place to talk on our knees about those relationships and situations we are confused about. He will bring wisdom into our hearts. He will teach us.
He simply asks for “truth in the inner part”. Be honest with God. That is what holiness is. It’s not high and lofty, or self-righteous or unattainable. It is simply truth and wisdom in the hidden places.
Welcome Him there to teach you.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

Power for Living Part 11 - I wish I Knew God's Will

by Gail Rodgers
We were contemplating a move! A new city, new schools, new friends and new jobs. Change screamed at us from all aspects of this choice. Some of the changes we could embrace heartily and with anticipation. Other changes would be more difficult.

Being God’s children we knew He had a plan for our lives. Did it include this move, this change? We were having a hard time figuring that out. Was this an opportunity from the hand of God? If it was, then we did not want to miss what He had in store for us. Could we know His will for our lives for sure?
As I prayed and pleaded with God to reveal His will… I read something in the Bible.
“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus”. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
As I pondered these verses I saw that if I know nothing else of God’s will, I do know these three things. I was to be joyful, prayful, and thankful! I realized that the perplexity of my wondering had all but stopped these things in my life. I hadn’t been joyful, I had been fearful and anxious. I prayed but, as God seemed silent on the matter, my prayers were dwindling. And thankful! The attitude of gratitude had been hard to maintain as I worried about making the right choice.
I had a decision to make. I could continue to stew about what God’s will was…or I could embrace what I already knew was His will straight from His Word.
I made a conscious effort to ask the Holy Spirit to help me to be joyful and thankful because I knew these were not my natural byproducts in this situation of uncertainty. I asked God to help me pray in faith, believing He would guide us through each and every decision.
Over time the path before us straightened out and the way became clear. God showed me that He was more interested in my internal state than in my external location. Once I got His perspective, peace settled into my soul. He opened and closed the right doors for our family.
If you are asking God to show you His will today… start here! Sometimes the most important change in life is change in us! Ask His Holy Spirit for help! He will direct your way!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

Power for Living Part 12 - Trusting God

by Gail Rodgers
I met a little, old blind lady one winter. She was part of a Bible Study group of older women. Somehow I connected with this group of ladies. It was an odd mix. They were Grandmothers and I was a young mom with three little ones.

It was a financially challenging winter for us that year. I knew all the phrases about trusting God and truly did to some degree. But nothing like these grannies! They trusted God in everything! Nothing was too small to pray about! I was the pupil that winter as I learned from these Godly women how to trust God. As situations were discussed, one particular Granny would always comment, “Where prayer focuses, God’s power falls”. And then with great faith, they would pray over the needs, asking for God’s power to come in, while I tried hard to keep my preschoolers quiet.
As I recall that winter, now many years later, I am reminded of a verse in the Bible as I think of those dear ladies who taught me so much about trusting God.
“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13
I realized these ladies had shown me that taking everything to God, little or big, and expecting His power to fall, filled me with hope in the God of Hope! As I saw His answers to specific situations I focused on in prayer, my joy and peace did actually increase. I found that He could make me overflow with hope through the power of His Holy spirit. My only part was to trust. Each little answer grew my trust in the God of Hope! He builds a track record of faithfulness in our lives. Faithfulness that continues to overflow hope in our lives even when circumstances seem hopeless.
If you have a hard time trusting God, find someone who has lived their life and found God to be faithful. Find someone who has a track record of seeing the God of Hope pour out His power. Walk with them a way on the road of life. As your faith and trust in our great God grows, you will find yourself overflowing with hope. You too will, in turn, spur others on toward the God of Hope.
Trust in Him!
Old 03-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

Power for Living Part 13 - One thing is Needed

by Gail Rodgers
A story is told in the Bible about two sisters, Mary and Martha. They and their brother were friends of Jesus. One occasion of His visit is recorded:

“As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” ” Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “You are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her”.Luke 10:38-42
Poor Martha. Most of us identify with this busy lady, distracted by the responsibilities of life. Often we feel we have been left to do all the work ourselves. Can’t you just see Martha fussing in the kitchen, getting more frustrated by the moment as Mary sits at Jesus feet? Finally she speaks out… only to have Jesus lovingly tell her that only one thing is needed.
One thing! Out of all the many things we do, out of all the many distractions, out of all the many important things we do, only one is needed. And what is that one thing? Doing as Mary did and sitting with Jesus, being in His presence.
We do so much for the Lord… many things… busy things. Yet He does not call us to work for Him…He calls us to be with Him. He calls us not to the good…but to the better choice. Out of that one thing, being in His presence, will flow the purposes of our lives as God directs us. Our souls will be fed. Clarity will come. We will know what to say “No” to.
Think what it would look like in your life if you were to become a “one thing” woman. First and foremost in your life would be time with Jesus. Once you have sat there you long to sit longer.
If your life is distracted by many good things and you want to choose the better today… begin by carving out a bit of time to sit in His presence. I find music helps clear away the dust of everyday living. When I find I have become distracted and choose to move back to that “one thing” that I know is needful, I find some quiet moments at the beginning or the end of the day and put on some music that praises our great God. I sit and listen and let the words of the songs become my prayers. And the focus returns as the Holy Spirit refreshes my heart. It is in the “one thing” that all the other things find balance and perspective.
Do what you need to do today to move to being a “one thing” woman. It’s the only place to live!
Old 03-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

Power for Living Part 14 - The Authentic Christian

by Gail Rodgers
Talk was at a high point in our little group of Christians. Whispers and gossip about one another were far more the order of the day than talk of our great God and how to know Him better. It was discouraging, frustrating and even disillusioning. Oh, there were real issues alright. Some things did need sorting out. But when feelings get hurt, walls go up and then we, who are to be known to the world by our love, become barricaded behind masks.

One particular day I found myself engaging in talk about a fellow believer. Oh I had myself convinced it was innocent talk. Another Christian and I were simply lamenting about how one, who we knew to be quite spiritual, could be a part of such dissension! Imagine!
That night I picked up my Bible and read Psalm 15. Some have called this the “Psalm of the Authentic Christian”. As I read through it I read these words:
“Lord, who may dwell in your sanctuary? (Who may come into your presence?)... He who…... has no slander on his tongue, and casts no slur on his fellowman… but honors those who fear the Lord…”. Psalm 15
My thoughts went immediately to my earlier conversation. When my heart is bent toward my God, the Holy Spirit is such a wonderful guide in confronting my soul with the things that grieve Him and make our loving God feel so far away.
I want to be able to dwell in the Lord’s presence and feel His help and strength and guidance in my life daily. Yet by my own actions I can limit that access.
I had been casting a slur on another believer for his behavior. Here God was telling me not to do that but rather to treat my fellow believers with honor. But… but… I could surely justify my comments! Or could I? Could I in light of what the Holy Spirit was revealing to me?
I asked for forgiveness and for the Holy Spirit to nudge me before the words came out of my mouth. This doesn’t mean we don’t deal with the issues that might need addressing. It does mean that we do it in such a way as to protect each other and bring honor to our God. It is only the power of the Holy Spirit that can do this in my life. Left to my own measures there would often be little grace and the world around me would end up seeing no difference in how a Christian handles conflict.
Psalm 15 concludes:
“He who does these things shall never be shaken”. Psalm 15
Allowing the Holy Spirit into these difficult challenges changes us and how we respond. It sets the stage for dealing with issues in God’s grace filled way. It gives us a security in the depths of our soul where otherwise only stress would dwell.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

Power for Living Part 15 - I Can't Hear You God

by Gail Rodgers
Have you ever had that feeling that your prayers were not going past the ceiling? God sometimes can feel so close, but then it changes and our hearts can feel distant and God feels silent. Why is this?

I discovered one reason in my life that this happens. It was after a family discussion where I had spilled out some things that were bugging me. I really felt better! It was good to get that off my chest! Until I went to pray… and God just seemed out of reach.
God is so good! He knows I desire to do things His way and He knows I so often don’t get it right. So He uses His Holy Spirit to show me. I “happened” to read in my Bible these words:
“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it my benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God… ” Ephesians 4:29 & 30.
Suddenly I understood! When I dumped on someone, getting it off my chest, it was usually not very helpful words, usually not words that would build them up according to their needs. And in the process I grieved the Holy Spirit. That explained why God felt out of reach. I had grieved His Holy Spirit by my words.
But wait a minute… sometimes I had legitimate grievances that needed to be talked out! Did this mean I could never speak my mind? Over the years God has kneaded this verse into my life like flour is kneaded into bread and this is what I have learned…
When I have a grievance with one of my family members (or anyone else for that matter), when something just plain bugs me ....I am learning, by trial and error, how to apply this verse to real life, where the rubber meets the road.
I have found that first I make a choice to be silent in the moment of irritation. It is vital to ask for the Holy Spirit’s help on this.
Second I make a choice to talk about that irritation on my knees. In other words I pour out the feelings and frustrations to God.
Third, I listen for direction and the Holy Spirit often first shows me something I can work on or change in me. I ask for His forgiveness and His help.
And lastly, if there is still an issue left on my heart that needs to be tackled with the other person, the Holy Spirit has given me fresh perspective, He has shown me my part, and He has quieted my soul so I can respond at a better time and in a better way.
The irritations of our hearts need to be monitored. The responses that flow so naturally out of us are often the very words that grieve the Holy Spirit and we don’t even know it! We have no clue as to why our prayers don’t pass the ceiling. When we respond according to what God tells us in His Word, the change is remarkable. We are calmer, life around us is calmer and best of all, the flow of the communication of our hearts with God’s is not blocked and blessing is the result. What a caring God who helps us in this way!
Post New ThreadReply