Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2016, 07:53 AM   #31
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Even More Recovery Readings and Meditations - March 31

March 31

Step by Step

Today, no self-pity to shake my recovery program regardless if my recovery began 24 months or 24 hours ago. Self-pity may be the deadliest of poisons that can undo, in the blink of an eye, any progress I’ve made. Self-pity is giving up my belief and total surrender to my higher power and is the epitome of selfishness. If there is adversity this day, I will face it with the courage, strength, hope and dignity with which AA endows me, and I’ve already been endowed with courage, strength, hope and dignity merely by committing myself to recovery. Nor will I whine, “Why me?” And if I say no to self-pity today, I have no reason or excuse to drink, to use – and this day, then, will be good. And our common journey continues. Step by step. – Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

“ALMOST” PEOPLE

If a man has a talent and cannot use it, he has failed. If he has a talent and uses only half of it, he has partly failed.

~ Thomas Wolfe ~

Every step of progress that we make in our Program takes us farther away from being one of the “almost” people. We know today that we cannot settle for “almost” living up to our potentials and capabilities.

We used to think that near-misses meant coming close to victory. This was satisfying, we thought. But we actually were making sure our efforts always got worse, never better.

In recovery, we see the wisdom of “half measures availing us nothing.” Today when we miss, we learn from a “near success” and try again, harder.

Even the slogan “Easy Does It” can encourage me to see worth in almost-good efforts, but I must quickly add to that “But DO It!”

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

Solitude is important to man . . . It is his refuge when the very foundations of his life are being shaken by disastrous events.

~ Margaret E. Mular ~

In modem life, it’s much easier to pursue the busy hectic life of work and responsibilities than to pursue solitude. Even though we have often felt very alone, we have been afraid to be alone with ourselves. But it is in those quiet moments alone that we honestly meet ourselves and lay the groundwork to learn from our experiences.

When we are so busy with our intense daily lives, perhaps dealing with crises, and do not take any quiet time for ourselves, we cannot look at where we are going, and we cannot learn from all that experience. Just a few minutes to simply let ourselves breathe is a valuable gem of time set aside that enriches the whole day.

My quiet moments of solitude are precious elements in my growing sobriety.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

Even on a rainy day, I can feel the sunshine.
Even when the clouds are gray, I can feel a glow.
There’s a little light inside me, just keeps burning.
I take it with me, everywhere I go.

~ Jill Clark ~

We carry within ourselves the single necessary Ingredient for our happiness: a positive attitude. Nothing can ruin our day, unless we let it. No remark can devastate us, unless we let it. No person can have a harmful, lasting impact on us, unless we let him or her. No unhealthy, negative attitude controls our thoughts without our assent.

Feeling good about the experiences we’re having, regardless of their nature, is a decision. Trusting that some good will come out of every one of them is a habit we can form. We can acquire un attitude of hope for growth and positive change.

I will see the sunshine even through the clouds if that’s my choice. Today I have twenty-four hours to practice this.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

I am not a bad person

I have made many mistakes. I’ve done things I’m not proud of. I’ve hurt people deeply, including myself. This is clear to me today.

But I need to keep in mind that past actions and character defects do not make me a bad person. For my chemical and mental health problems, I am working a program of dual recovery. Despite my guilt and shame I am learning to forgive myself. As I see others – friends, therapist, group members – accept me for who I am, I can better accept myself.

I will ask my best friend and my sponsor to help me identify three of my good qualities.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

Let nothing good or bad upset the balance of your life.

~ Thomas a Kempis ~

The uncontrollable obstacles of life in sobriety are tough enough, yet we often make things worse for ourselves. We may create obstacles of negative selftalk, jealousy, resentment, and fear. These can change our recovery from simple to complex. When we speak harshly to ourselves, we tend to isolate and become passive. When we are jealous, we’re not fully accepting ourselves. When we are resentful, we cannot be at peace. Fear can keep us from greater risks and greater rewards.

But we can keep recovery simple and serene. We can talk to ourselves reassuringly. We can become more positive and work on keeping relationships clear of debris. With the help of our Higher Power and Twelve Step program, we can work through our fear and resentment to find lasting peace and serenity.

Today help me keep my recovery simple. Help me overcome those obstacles that hurt my spiritual growth.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

There are no atheists on turbulent airplanes.

~ Erica Jong ~

Before you came into the program, your relationship with a Higher Power may have been fleeting or peripheral. You may have felt your prayers went unanswered because problems remained. Maybe you only reached out to God when you experienced a great loss, such as the death of a loved one.

Once you entered the program, you may have flinched whenever you heard the word God or were encouraged to join in reciting the Serenity Prayer. Maybe you were reluctant to open the Big Book because it resembled a religious text. Perhaps the openness with which members talked about a Higher Power made you feel uncomfortable because you had not developed such a relationship.

When you make the decision to turn your life and your will over to the care of God—however you define and understand that Being—it is your belief that provides you with a new path in life. Your Higher Power will always be there for you, no matter what path you take. But the path that most directly leads to a Higher Power is the one that helps you the most.

I believe in a Higher Power. I turn my life and my will over to a Higher Power and ask for guidance in making choices to improve the quality of my life.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

Why hoard your troubles? They have no market value, so just throw them away.

~ Ann Schade ~

Some people can’t stop talking about their troubles. We innocently ask them how they are, then have to listen to a monologue about this problem and that problem. After a time, we learn to ignore these people and don’t dare ask them how they are. We know exactly how they are because they’ve told us so many times.

We may wonder what those people would say if all their troubles disappeared. They might be speechless, not knowing what to say. Are we, too, afraid to say we’re fine? Do we feel uncomfortable not having something to gripe about or focus our energy on?

Troubles are like strings of bangles and beads. They’re worthless, don’t add much to our appearance, and make a lot of noise. We aren’t losing anything by taking off the bangles and beads. In fact, we’ll probably look and feel better. We can get rid of the troubles we carry with us as if they were so many bangles and beads. We won’t lose a thing by losing them.

I can look at all the troubles I drag around with me and get rid of at least one of them. I’ll feel much better without it

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Handling the little things

It is less the crises that damage our quality of life than the daily irritations. There is some recognition for handling the big crises, but who notices how we handle the little things?

There is no recognition for handling irritations, but instead, there is peace and serenity. When peace and serenity dominate our lives daily, we begin to appreciate the real gift of this program, the gift of daily living.

Am I learning to handle the little things?

God, grant me patience and perspective as I practice dealing with all the little things.

I will change how I handle irritations today by

God help me to stay clean and sober today!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

… who share their experience, strength and hope with each other…

~ ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS PREAMBLE ~

Newcomer

Now that I have ninety days in recovery, am I really supposed to get up in front of the room and speak? It’s hard enough to make myself raise my hand to share at a meeting! Without my drug of choice, I’m really a shy, private person. I don’t like it when people look at me. I don’t have a gift for public speaking. I don’t know how to make people laugh. I don’t think that I know enough about recovery to lead a meeting.

Sponsor

Speaking at a meeting is not the same as public speaking; it’s a tool that we use to stay sober. We don’t have to impress or save anyone when we speak at a meeting. We don’t have to spout principles or explain Steps we haven’t taken yet. We just have to be willing to share what we know to be true for each of us. If we set aside our egos and the baggage of fear and pride, we can talk honestly about our own experiences.

We can’t anticipate or control how our words are going to help another person. Before speaking, I say a simple prayer: “Help me to be of use.” The results aren’t up to me. One time, I was so nervous that I forgot everything I’d planned to say. There were long pauses between every sentence. Afterward, a woman came up to me and said, “You’ve given me courage. In three years, I’ve never had die guts to speak. Now that I’ve seen you go through your fear, I think I can do it, too.” I’d thought I was a failure, but she thanked me!

Today, I do service without calculating the results. My honesty helps me and others to deepen the experience of recovery.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

We as alcoholics are so used to getting by with a minimum of effort on our part that we sometimes fail to appreciate that only those things earned have any real and lasting value.

We allowed our families to cover up for us and support us, we panhandled, we were experts in the game of something for nothing.

Nothing free is worth having. AA has no initiation fees or dues but it also costs a lot if you want to get a lot. You can procure a two-bit brand of AA but we don’t guarantee it will work.

~ WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG BOOK ~ (Official & Unofficial Sloganeering From the 12 Step Programs) ~

1) Clean and Serene.

2) Together, we can do it.

3) HELP: His Ever Loving Presence

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

The Fellowship Prayer

Dear Higher Power, I am grateful that:
I am part of the Fellowship, one among many, but I am one.
I need to work the Steps for the development of the buried life within me.
Our Program may be human in its organization, but it is Divine in its purpose. The purpose is to continue my spiritual awakening.
Participating in the privileges of the movement, I shall share in the responsibilities, taking it upon myself to carry my fair share of the load, not grudgingly, but joyfully.
To the extent that I fail in my responsibilities, the Program fails. To the extent that I succeed, the Program succeeds.
I shall not wait to be drafted for service to my fellow members. I shall volunteer.
I shall be loyal in my attendance, generous in my giving, kind in my criticism, creative in my suggestions, loving in my attitudes.
I shall give to the Program my interest, my enthusiasm, my devotion, and, most of all, myself.

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

THE PURE IN HEART

Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God (Matthew 5:8). This is one of those wonderful gnomic sayings in which the Bible is so rich. It is a summing up in a few words of a whole philosophy of religion.

Let us begin by considering what the promise in this Beatitude is. It is nothing less than to see God. To “see” in the sense referred to here, signifies spiritual perception, and spiritual perception is just that capacity to apprehend the true nature of Being that we all so sadly lack.

We live in God’s world, but we do not in the least know it as it is. Heaven lies all about us—but because we are lacking in spiritual perception, we are unable to recognize it, to experience it, and, therefore, so far as we are concerned, we may be said to be shut out of Heaven.

We are very much in the position of a color-blind man in a beautiful flower garden. All around him are glorious colors; but he sees only blacks, whites, and grays. If we suppose him to be also devoid of the sense of smell, we shall see what a very small part of the glory of the garden exists for him. Yet it is all there, if he could but sense it.

Our task is to surmount these limitations as rapidly as may be, until we reach the point where we can know things as they really are—experience Heaven as it really is. That is what is meant by “seeing God.” To see God is to apprehend Truth as it really is, and this is infinite freedom and perfect bliss.

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

Get Your Bearings

Shake your souls. Awake!… The promised hour has come. Over the dark firmament of suffering, humanity is rising. The morning star is heralding the day when you will understand that man’s most sacred duty is to…break the fetters with which ignorance and fear have bound unconscious humanity. You will stand up free and know yourselves to be the eternal manifestation of…that great All whom you call God.

~ found in a Russian church after World War I ~

“I used to travel on business so much that some days I would wake up and not know where I was or what I was supposed to be doing,” my friend Linda told me. “I became so disoriented that every night before I went to sleep, I would paste Post-its on the hotel TV screen, telling me what city I was in, and who I was supposed to see, when and why.”

We are all like voyagers in a distant city. We came from the world of Spirit to a world that has lost sight of its origin and purpose. It is easy to become distracted by fears and illusions and to forget who we are and why we came.

We must take care to remind ourselves often about our identity and purpose. Prayer, meditation, spiritual study, and uplifting fellowship are like Post-its we can paste on the screen of our consciousness to help us stay on our spiritual track. If you do not surround yourself with reminders of your spiritual nature, the world will teach you that you belong to it, and you will feel lost and alone.

Keep the high watch. Put up inspiring pictures and quotes in your home and office. Listen to music that nourishes your soul. Go to restaurants, movies and social gatherings that honor the presence of God. Choose friends who uphold you on your spiritual path. Get regular massage, counseling, or training by persons attuned to higher laws.

It is within your power to build your life on the values you choose, but you must take an active role in staying awake. Step back often, take deep breaths, and check in with your spirit. Any investment you make in your spiritual growth will bless you many times over.

Help me keep You in my mind and heart, that I may remember that I belong to the light.

Established in truth, I fulfill my destiny today.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply