Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 07-27-2021, 05:01 AM   #31
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 27

Prayer for Strength

Lord, please give me strength when I am weak, love when I feel forsaken, courage when I am afraid, wisdom when I feel foolish, comfort when I am alone, hope when I feel rejected, and peace when I am in turmoil.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just Thought

When new members come into my A.A. group, do I make a special effort to make them feel at home? Do I put myself out to listen to them, even if their ideas of A.A. are vague? Do I make it a habit to talk to all new members myself, or do I often leave that to someone else? I may not be able to help them, but then again it may be something that I might say that would put them on the right track. When I see any members sitting alone, do I put myself out to be nice to them, or do I stay among my own special group of friends and leave them out in the cold?

So ............

Are all new A.A.’s & “loners” my responsibility?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

What If

What if you were wrong? What if everything you ever believed was a lie? What if you missed your opportunity because you didn't know your worth? What if you settled on familiar, but God was trying to give you something better? What if you decided not to go backwards, but forward? What if doing what you have never done before was the answer to everything that didn't make sense?

What if the answer wasn't to be found in words, but in action? What if you found the courage to do what you really wanted to do and doing it changed your whole life?
(from: Shannon L. Alder)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Agnostic Temperament

Some of us have been violently anti-religious. To others, the word "God" brought up a particular idea of Him with which someone had tried to impress them during childhood. Perhaps we rejected this particular conception because it seemed inadequate. With that rejection we imagined we had abandoned the God idea entirely. We were bothered with the thought that faith and dependence upon a Power beyond ourselves was somewhat weak, even cowardly. We looked upon this world of warring individuals, warring theological systems, and inexplicable calamity, with deep skepticism. We looked askance at many individuals who claimed to be godly. How could a Supreme Being have anything to do with it all? And who could comprehend a Supreme Being anyhow? Yet, in other moments, we found ourselves thinking, when enchanted by a starlit night, "Who, then, made all this?" There was a feeling of awe and wonder, but it was fleeting and soon lost.

Yes, we of agnostic temperament have had these thoughts and experiences. Let us make haste to reassure you. We found that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and express even a willingness to believe in a Power greater than ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was impossible for any of us to fully define or comprehend that Power, which is God.

Alcoholics Anonymous Pages 45 – 46

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Negative people need drama like it’s oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.” -- Unknown
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2021, 05:07 AM   #32
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 28

Prayer to Start This Day

Lord,
We pray to start this day with a new attitude and plenty of gratitude.
Let us make the best of each and every day to clear our mind so that we can hear from You.
Please broaden our mind so that we can accept all things.
Let us not whine and whimper over things we have no control over.
Help us Lord to not judge others, or to speak an ill word.
Please keep us safe from all danger and harm.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We have this choice every day of our lives.

We can take the path that leads to insanity and death (and remember, our next drunk could be our last one). Or we can take the path that leads to a reasonably happy and useful life. The choice is ours each day of our lives. God grant that we take the right path.

So ............

Have I made my choice today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Reality of Life

When a person looks at their life and at the lives of others, it is clear that pain is part of life. We cannot escape this tragic truth; our growth and our wholeness must include it because our recovery stresses honesty. In our old way of living, we may have been bitter. Many of us felt sorry for ourselves. Some of us cursed God and wasted time in our self-centeredness thinking life was especially unfair to us. Life is not fair; it just is. It is left to us to choose how we will respond.

People's responses to life inspire us. We not only acknowledge the pain, but we see the heroic lives of others around us. They met their limitations and went forward with a willing spirit and faith. Today we can be grateful for the progress we have made in overcoming our suffering. We have friends who give us the joy of human contact. We have choices and possibilities where we never saw them before. We have a growing self-respect as men.

I accept the reality of life, and I will respond with faith in the choices I make today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whose Will?

We have seen A.A.'s ask with much earnestness and faith for God's explicit guidance on matters ranging all the way from a shattering domestic or financial crisis to a minor personal fault, like tardiness. A man who tries to run his life rigidly by this kind of prayer, by this self-serving demand of God for replies, is a particularly disconcerting individual. To any questioning or criticism of his actions, he instantly proffers his reliance upon prayer for guidance in all matters great or small.

He may have forgotten the possibility that his own wishful thinking and the human tendency to rationalize have distorted his so-called guidance. With the best of intentions, he tends to force his will into all sorts of situations and problems with the comfortable assurance that he is acting under God's specific direction.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Pages 103-104

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"It isn't "me" and "you" anymore; it's "we" and "us." I get drunk. We stay sober! It's a we program." ~ Unknown A.A.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:57 AM   #33
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 29

I Give Myself to You

Lord, open my mind that I may be aware of your presence in my daily life.
Open my heart that I may offer you all my thoughts.
Open my mouth that I may speak to you throughout my day.
I am grateful that you wish to hear my voice. To you I give my all.
Help me to do your will, every hour of every day.

~Walter J. Ciszek, SJ

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

You should be ready and willing to carry the A.A. message when called upon to do so.

Live for some purpose greater than yourself. Each day you will have something to work for. You have received so much from this program that you should have a vision that gives your life a direction and a purpose that gives meaning to each new day. Let us not slide along through life. Let us have a purpose for each day and let us make that purpose for something greater than just ourselves.

So ............

What is my purpose for today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Balance and Moderation

Finding balance is important at any age, not just when we’re old. We need balance in our diet, between work and rest, in our emotional life – any activity is more rewarding, more life enhancing when done in moderation.,

Most of us developed a belief that if a little of something is good, then a whole lot is better. Had we been able to practice moderation, we would not be sharing this fellowship today. It’s paradoxical that our drive to live on the edge, doing everyting to extreme, has rewarded us with a program for living quite a distance from the edge.

Many a friend or sponsor has suggested Easy Does It; Let Go and Let God; One Day at a Time. These slogans are simple and yet profound reminders to find balance and quiet moderation in all our activities. We can only fully know and appreciate this moment if we’re participating in it, not racing to the next thought, hour, or day.

Today I can enjoy moderation with the knowledge it will enhance my life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Give Thanks

Though I still find it difficult to accept today's pain and anxiety with any great degree of serenity--as those more advanced in the spiritual life seem able to do--I can give thanks for present pain nevertheless.

I find the willingness to do this by contemplating the lessons learned from past suffering--lessons which have led to the blessings I now enjoy. I can remember how the agonies of alcoholism, the pain of rebellion and thwarted pride, have often led me to God's grace, and so to a new freedom.

As Bill Sees It Page 266

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Anger is a condition in which the tongue works faster than the mind.” ~ John S
Old 07-30-2021, 03:34 AM   #34
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 30

Making Amends Prayer

Dear God,
You know our past; You’re familiar with all the good and bad things we’ve done.
We ask You to give us the strength and courage to list them so we can “come clean” and face both our past and the truth about our present and future.
Please help us reach out to those special persons You’ve placed along our road to recovery.
Thank You for providing them to help us maintain balance as we work on our lists.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Faith in that Power greater than ourselves can be counted on to stabilize our emotions.

It has an incomparable capacity to help us look at life in a balanced perspective. We look up, around, and away from ourselves, and we see that nine out of ten things that at the moment upset us will shortly disappear. Problems solve themselves; criticism and unkindness vanish as though they had never been.

So ............

Have I got the proper perspective toward life?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Fear of Pain

If we really stopped to think about it, we would be astounded to discover how much of our time is spent trying to avoid pain. We are afraid to say what we think or tell others our needs because we fear rejection. We are afraid to face the pain of our own anger. We are afraid of telling others who we are. When we are afraid of opening up to others for fear they will hurt us, we are not free, we are prisoners of our own fears.

Pain is a natural part of life, and we are gifted with the ability to feel it. Pain teaches us, makes us work harder sometimes, and it helps us appreciate pleasure.

When we accept pain, and stop exhausting ourselves trying to avoid it, we will be free to live life more fully and without so much worry.

How has my own fear limited my freedom?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now

Now is the time, the only time there is.
And if we are not kind to ourselves right now, we certainly cannot rightfully expect respect or consideration from others.
We have found we can enjoy, sober, every good thing we enjoyed while drinking -- and many, many more. It takes a little practice, but the rewards more than make up for the effort. . . Unless we cherish our own recovery, we cannot survive to become unselfish, ethical, and socially responsible people.

Living Sober Page 42

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"The most wonderful gift of prayer is the friendship we discover with God. This friendship promises security in the midst of any turmoil." ~ Karen Casey
Old 07-31-2021, 04:11 AM   #35
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 31

Prayer On This Day

Lord,
Please give me strength when I am weak,
love when I feel forsaken,
courage when I am afraid,
wisdom when I feel foolish,
comfort when I am alone,
hope when I feel rejected,
and peace when I am in turmoil.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

If you have any doubts, just ask any of the older members of the A.A. group.

They will readily tell you that since they turned their lives over to the care of God as they understand Him, many of their problems have been banished into the forgotten yesterdays. When you allow yourself to be upset over one thing, you succeed only in opening the door to the coming of hundreds of other upsetting things.

So ............

Am I allowing myself to be upset over little things?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Integrity

The benefit of a spiritual program is the development of integrity in my life. Integrity is having an honest respect for myself; it is respecting who I am and how I live in the world. Integrity also becomes a bridge by which I can reach my fellow man. My respect for my life develops a respect for others. My determination to have integrity affects the way I treat you. Integrity gives me freedom to be -- and this allows for an acceptance of you.

Of course I must follow some rules and guidelines in my life but today they are not written in cement. Today I can be flexible with me and this means that I can be flexible with you. My past need to control has developed into an accepting serenity that brings peace. My spiritual program forever teaches me to be free; now I can live.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Plan

Following this spiritual path made a major difference in my life. It seemed to fill that lonely hole that I used to fill with alcohol. My self-esteem improved dramatically, and I knew happiness and serenity as I had never known it before. I started to see the beauty and usefulness in my own existence, and tried to express my gratitude through helping others in whatever ways I could. A confidence and faith entered my life and unraveled a plan for me that was bigger and better than I could have ever imagined.
It wasn't easy, and it has never been easy, but it gets so much better.

Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Pages 287-88

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Making prompt amends is the fresh air of each new day." ~ Sandra Little
Post New ThreadReply