Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Lounge > Recipes

Share This Forum!  

Recipes Please feel free to share all recipes with us here.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 08-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default Chicken

Microwave Chicken

Ingredients:
3 cups (750 ml) carrots, leeks, celery, zucchini (cut into thin
matchstick julienne)
4 chicken breasts
salt & pepper to taste
2 teaspoons (10 ml) butter
1/4 teaspoons (1 ml) dried tarragon

Yogourt Hollandaise:
1 cup (250 ml) plain yogourt
2 teaspoon (10 ml) lemon juice
3 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) salt
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) dijon mustard
ground pepper to taste
1 tablespoons (15 ml) fresh dill, or parsley

Directions:
1. In a baking dish, sprinkle half the prepared vegetables. Remove the skin from the chicken pieces. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables & season lightly with the salt & pepper. Top with the remaining vegetables & dot with butter. Sprinkle with tarragon, and the salt & pepper to taste.
2. Cover with plastic wrap, turning back one corner to vent. Microwave on HIGH for 6 minutes - if boneless, or 8 to 10 minutes - if bone in.

Cook until the chicken is no longer pink.

Yogourt Hollandaise:
In top of double boiler; beat yogourt, lemon juice & egg yolks. Heat over simmering water, stirring frequently, until sauce has thickened - about 15 minutes. Sauce will become thinner after about 10 minutes of cooking, then it will thicken again. Remove from heat & stir in salt, mustard, pepper & dill. Pour sauce over the chicken & the vegetables.

N.B. I would never cook this in a Microwave Oven, maybe a Toaster Oven if I didn't want to turn on the oven. I use the Microwave for heating up and occasionally for veggies, but don't like the texture, taste, or looks of fresh meat cooked in one, for some reason, I don't feel it is safe.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Subject: My Turkey Recipe

Here is a turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a
stuffing -- imagine that. When I found this recipe, I thought it
was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell
when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out.

Give this a try.

8 - 15 lb. turkey
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is Good.)
1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT)
Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter
salt, and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in
baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven.

Listen for the popping sounds. When the turkey's a*s blows the
oven door open and the bird flies across the room, it's done.

And, you thought I didn't cook...

God Bless,
Pappy
Just a reminder, ... This will work just as well in the U.S. as it did for JoJo in the Canadian tradition last month ... so lets start buying turkeys ...

Oh, I still haven't heard back from JoJo just how long it took to 'clean-up' after trying this!!!

How 'bout it JoJo?

==========

Too smart to use that recipe although my dad use to say, "You are a good cook, I just don't see why you have to use every dish and pot in the house to cook a meal.

I have made a few messes of my own. Just the other night, with my shaky hands, my spare ribs ended up-side-down on my kitchen floor. Thankfully the sauce and the roasting pan stayed on the stove. I could rinse of the ribs and throw them in the pan to heat. I also had an egg land on the ceiling and burnt a few times because I forget that I started cooking dinner (often the fault of my fibromyalgia but often because I am occupied on the computer). I once burned 3 frying pans in 6 weeks. I don't learn lessons easy. My son was always saying, don't cook and go on the computer at the same time. I had to learn to use a timer to remind myself I had something boiling.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Oh No! You are one of those. I have been known to do that when I have run out or have another sauce or veggie. The egg landed on the ceiling because I let the pan boil dry and the egg popped and hit the ceiling and stuck.

I will put something to fry in the frying pan, forget it is there and the pan will get a little over done and I have to simmer baking soda and water in it to get the 'black' off. It is either not meant to be and I open a can or I start again if the stuff in the pan, is as black as the pan, which it generally is. Computers and cooking, or reading and cooking, or watching TV and cooking don't always go together. As Theresa tells me, "JoAnne, are you thinking again, don't you know you can't do two things at once."

Quote:
Thanks JoJo, ... The egg thingy is hilarious ...

And I don't think I'll be visiting you anytime soon ... especially if you're going to cook dinner ... I don't care for a 'side order' of 'Fire Trucks' when I'm eating ...

Seriously, Please be careful

Love Ya and God Bless,
Pappy
Have always liked to cook, and it makes me sad not to have the energy to put the effort into making a meal. Seldom cook for others, having my friend Theresa staying with me is good for me. The only problem she doesn't feel like eating, even if I cook.

I sponsored a guy from Montreal, he was young about 28 I think while he looked for a male sponsor. He says people look at me funny, but I don't care, I want what JoAnne has. It was only after cooking for him for 3 months that I found out he was a trained French Chef. I just about died. He said, "It is okay, you think like a chef." One of the nicest compliments I have ever received. These days, haven't done a lot of thinking one way or the other. It is bad when what you like doing becomes a chore.

LOL! That was one of many, too numerous to remember let alone tell.

I sponsored a young guy for a short time until he found a male sponsor. He said, "I don't care if people look at me funny (a sponsor opposite your sexual preference), I want what she has.

He had been in my home about 3 months and I invited him to come and share my birthday dinner. He asked if there was anything he could do and I said, "The fixings are in the refrigerator, you can make the salad."

When I looked at what he did, I saw a salad with a rose made out of a tomato, he peeled the skin and curled it around in the shape of a flower and used the green part of a scallion, to make two leaves coming out from the rose. I was overwhelmed, pleased, and just bubbling all over. I said, "How did you do that? Where did you learn to do that?" He replied, "Maybe I forgot to tell you that I am a trained French Chef." I just about died of shock. I said, "You mean, you are a French Chef and I have been feeding you for the last 3 months. He said, "Don't worry Jo, you think like a chef." It took a long time to get over the horror and the delight of having had an affirmation about my cooking from someone so qualified.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

I was looking at a magazine in the doctor's office today. They had taken homemade chicken vegetable soup and I would have thickened it with cornstarch, they probably used flour, put some in a pie plate and covered it with store bought pastry.

I don't like celery raw or to eat but don't mind the flavour. I put it in bigger chunks so I can see it and pick it off my plate.

Any veggies would do, I also like to add parley and sometimes rosemary.

I generally get chicken breast bones for soup as I don't like the dark meat, even in soup.

Today I was feeling like comfort food but didn't have the energy to cook anything.

Was raised on a 199 acre farm, 1 acre donated to Medonte Township for a school and yard. Did all of the above. When we moved to the farm when I was 6, there was no electricity or running water. I remember carry coal oil lamps and buckets of water from the well (fed by 7 springs) in the farm yard. We had a huge garden, grew our own and picked wild strawberries and raspberries. We too had a pig, rabbits, chickens, geese, and raised beef cattle. The dairy farm was my uncles' 300 acre farm. Couldn't wait to leave it and now I wish I had it to go home to.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Tofurky Feast - Serves 4

For Americans this Thanksgiving they can Have a bird-free feast, but with all the flavor and trimmings you've always enjoyed - or for your non-meat eating guests.

This One Tofurky Roast (made with organic non-GMO soybeans)

Eight Cranberry Apple Potato Dumplings

Tofurky Giblet Gravy

Herbed brown and Tofurky Wild Rice Stuffing

Tofurky Jurky Wishstix

Each feast is 100% vegan, cooks in about 40 minutes, serves four and tastes fabulous!

Tofurky Ingredients: water, vital wheat gluten, organic tofu (water, organic soybeans, magnesium chloride, calcium chloride), white beans, garbanzo beans, non genetically engineered corn starch, natural vegetarian flavor, expeller pressed non genetically engineered canola oil, shoyu soy sauce (water, non genetically engineered soy beans, wheat, salt, culture), spices, lemon juice, calcium lactate from beets.

For listings where Tofurky products are sold internationally go to:

http://www.tofurky.com/purchasing_US.asp There is a spot to click for
both US and International stores.

Nutrition Facts: 1Serving Size 4 oz Calories190;Fat-24g(Saturated-.5g);Cholesterol-60mg;Sodium-396mg;Carbohydrate -10g(Dietary Fiber-2g);(Protein-26g) calories from carbs-16%; calories from Fat-45%)

I said, "No" at the word Tofu, it is all a joke as far as I am concerned, but thankfully, not everyone has my fussy taste buds.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Early for yours, but just in time for our Thanksgiving.

NEW TURKEY RECIPE

Your dinner will be the talk of the TOWN!!
You should try this!
Sure to bring smiles from your guests!
Here is a new way to prepare your Turkey.

1. Cut out aluminum foil in desired shapes.
2. Arrange the turkey in the roasting pan, position the foil carefully.? (see recipe of first post)
3. Roast according to your own recipe and serve.
4. Watch your guests' faces...

May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have never a lump.
May your yams be delicious
And your pies take the prize,
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off your thighs!

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Gobble-Good Turkey Casserole

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 package onion soup mix
1 cup rice
1 1/2 cups milk
2 or 3 cups leftover turkey

Combine all ingredients in a large casserole dish. Bake covered 45 minutes at
350*.
Like the concept, but not the ingredients. I don't like celery, and dislike celery soup even more. If I were to make this, I would be putting onions, chicken stock which I made, cream and celery seed for the taste. If the milk was 2% I would probably saunte the onions in a couple of tablespoons of butter, not brown, just until translucent. I would then add 3 tbls. of flour or 3 tsps. of corn starch to about 1/2 cup of milk, then add that to the 1 cup of milk. If I didn't have some made, I would take a box, and if I had bones and skin left from the turkey, I would cook them with the stock from the box for 1/2 an hour at least, drain and add milk, and then the turkey.

There is the cooking from scratch or the instant casserole type to choose from.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Turkey Stuffing Casserole

1/4 c. butter or margarine, cut up
1 pkg. (7 oz.) Pepperidge farm herb seasoned cube stuffing mix
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Campbell's condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 c. milk
c. (about 12 oz.) cubed cooked turkey or chicken
1 c. coarsely chopped celery
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
3/4 c. (3 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese

Place butter in large microwave safe bowl. Cover; microwave on high 40 seconds or until melted. Add stuffing mix; toss to coat evenly. Set aside.

In large bowl, stir soup until smooth. Stir in milk; stir in turkey, celery and broccoli.

Spread 1/2 of the stuffing mixture in 12 x 8 inch microwave safe baking dish. Spread soup mixture over stuffing. Cover with wax paper; microwave on high 10 minutes or until heated through, rotating dish once during cooking.

Top with remaining stuffing mixture; sprinkle with cheese.
Microwave, uncovered, on high 1 minute. Let stand, uncovered, 5 minutes.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Post New ThreadReply