Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Recovery Topics and Questions

Share This Forum!  

Recovery Topics and Questions Post all recovery related topics and questions that you have here for discussion.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 08-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #1
janbear
Trusted Servant

Default Fun

What do you do for fun in recovery? I have been told over time in recovery that i take myself to seriously, that i need to lighten up. Been slowly doing that. Wondering about others though, What do you do for fun in recovery?
janbear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to janbear For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2014, 06:14 AM   #2
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Played bridge, now I can no longer do it.

For me it was fun when I went to my friend's 31st anniversary last Friday.

Fun for me is a lot calmer now that I hit my 70s. A good book, good music or one of my favourite shows, generally nature or shows with music and shows like Fix it uppers, and of course my sports: tennis, curling, darts, and golf.

I have fun and enjoy just walking the 5 blocks to the mall and soaking up the sun. It is special when I run into people I know, especially so when it is a recovery person.

I use to be the first one on the floor and the last one off. Now the body doesn't let me do it, but I have some good memories and a few silent boogies going on in my mind and body.

I try to have fun at everything I do. Even if it is laundry or dishes, turn up the music and/or read a book. Osho says it can be a form of meditation. He also says that sex was the original meditation, another thing that is no longer in my life, by choice.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing:
Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
LookingOut

I try to do things sober that I used to have to be drunk to do. We do not go out very often, but at my husbands work Christmas party, we danced and danced and I did not care what I looked like. I was not embarrassed at all because I was sober and knew I would not do something utterly stupid or embarrassing.

Usually, my fun is more simple. Spend time with family. Watch a good TV show. Take my dogs out and run around with them like a child. Enjoy a good meal or a good dessert. Do some light exercise. We do not get to church much, so I enjoy it very much when we go together. I enjoy my Bible study and prayer group.

I am trying to learn to do things sober that I thought I had to drink to do. I "drink" in the fun I have in sobriety, knowing it is true and real and I will have no black outs and no regrets.

So much of life is difficult. When we have a chance to relax, we should. I do have a lot of anxiety, so it is not easy for me to relax and let go. Jesus has the living water that satisfies. It is there we get the deepest rest and refreshment for our souls.

His peace.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
janbear
Trusted Servant

In NA literature it says that our idea of fun changes and i have found that is true for me. I remember in my addiction thinking it was fun to go skinny-dipping at midnight and often did. Sober and clean that is the last thing i want to do. NA taught me to enjoy dancing clean. It was several years in recovery before i cut lose on a dance floor. I have 2 left feet but i dont care anymore. I also enjoy NA campouts. I am going to one next weekend. We have a blast swimming and listening to speakers and eat together. The fellowship is great. But today in my life i do enjoy time alone too with my dog. we play together. I enjoy computer games too. I love to laugh today
janbear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to janbear For Sharing:
Old 08-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
LookingOut

I think we learn to laugh without regrets.

As I said, I still fight anxiety. Maybe that is my thorn that God says, "My grace is sufficient for you." Or maybe it is something that just takes daily work and vigilance to rely on Him and not on my other pleasure addictions.

I can seek things thinking they are fun or pleasurable, but they become obsessions. When I walk with God, He shows me the most fun and deep joy.

This a great topic! I'm sure we will think on it more.

When we stop our addictions, we think we will never have "fun" again. What a dumb thing!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Always say, "Fun, food, and frolic, the gifts of recovery." The food isn't just physical, but mental, emotional, and spiritual too.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing:
Post New ThreadReply