Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Recovery Topics and Questions

Share This Forum!  

Recovery Topics and Questions Post all recovery related topics and questions that you have here for discussion.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 08-22-2015, 06:46 AM   #1
Salt4wa

Default Medical Marijuana

I'm an alcoholic that has been sober and in recovery for 4.5 years. I also have glaucoma that was diagnosed about 17 years ago. My physician has done laser surgery on my eyes (about 15 years ago) to reduce the pressure in my eyes that is causing damage to the optic nerve. I also use 2 prescription eye drops to keep the pressure low. This treatment has been very successful (I can still see good enough to pass driving tests) until this year. The eye pressure in my eyes is almost doubled in the past 6 months.

My doctor has prescribed new eye drops to reduce the pressure in my eye. A check in 1 month will indicate if this works. He has suggested I try medical marijuana (legal in this state) to treat the glaucoma in addition to the eye drops. He will help me get the paper work done to get a medical marijuana card from the state. I smoked marijuana back in the '70s but quit with no problem due to career path I was on and it was starting to make me feel paranoid when I smoked.

Is there anyone here that is an alcoholic that has used or is using medical marijuana? What are the pros and cons? How does medical marijuana affect your recovery from alcoholism? I don't want to be stoned, but I do want to keep my eye site as long as I can.
Salt4wa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Salt4wa For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2015, 02:27 AM   #2
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site, thank you for sharing. I am allergic to it in any way shape or form. I have known others who have used it. It is good if you have a medical condition that warrants it. It is amazing how some people can be very creative and find an excuse to use it. I have known alcoholics to use it only to relapse. It wasn't medical, but personally, I don't know if there is a difference in the product. My son swears by it and says it is all natural, but that is not true, most of what is around is processed. My son said, "IF he chose to quit drinking, he would never give up his pot."

I know my doctor has put me on different pills and I have found them to be mood altering and have quit them, even if they help my pain. There is no harm in trying it. I hope it works for you. All it did for me was give me a migraine and made me very sick to my stomach. May I suggest you have a little talk with your God and see what He would have you do. No one can make the decision for you, it is your choice.

I have known people to use near beer and other alternatives, which led them back to their drug of choice. A young guy was diagnosed with chronic alcoholism at the hospital and was given Valium. I was given it at 16 for a nervous disorder because of my migraines. It is a progressive disease.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
Salt4wa

Thanks for your response. I appreciate you being open and non-judgmental on this subject. Per my "other Big Book" I've sought the council of others in this decision. There is a divided response toward medical marijuana. Some of my fellow alcoholics are very open and accepting of it, if the use of it is thought through and not for recreational purposes. Others (mostly those who have never used marijuana) are scared of it and tell me it is a gateway drug.

I know in the past ('70's) I used it for recreation combined with any other drug I could get. I've left that life behind. Alcohol became my drug of choice and that turned on me to become my master. Only by the grace of God and what He has given me through AA am I sober today.

This is not a decision I'm making quickly. A review of recent research shows that marijuana is helpful in treating glaucoma. Also, I have been taking narcotic pain meds (for degenerative spinal disease) at prescribed dosage for 3 + years. Had spine surgery last October but did not relieve pain. I'm concerned about long term affects of the addictive meds and over coming my dependence on narcotics. Again, the literature shows that marijuana is helpful for reducing nerve pain in place of narcotics.

Through this all, I've been able to stay sober one day at a time by the grace of my Higher Power and what He has given me in the AA program. I would like to get first hand feed back from anybody that is using marijuana for medical reasons: What is your experience? Did you find it beneficial? Did you find it lead you toward relapse in alcoholism? etc . . .
Salt4wa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Salt4wa For Sharing:
Old 08-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

As I said, "I can't identify with marijuana, but I did do substitution and that kept me addicted and sick for a long time. I made up my mind at 41 to quit drinking, I ended up using pills and in the end I was using both and through the Grace of God, I lived to make it through the doors at 49. As they say, the substance is but a symptom of our disease. I had to get to the root of my issues and allow myself to heal. The problem was and has always been me. I had to get out of my own way, and allow my God to work through me. I have five types of arthritis, plus other various labels. I had to learn to accept them, and it has been through prayer and meditation, that I have been able to work through the pain. I too am on medication as prescribed by my doctor. I don't abuse it or misuse it. I am prescribed and allowed much more than I take, but like you, I don't want to go back to that bondage of active addiction. It was so important to get a doctor that I could communicate with and someone who understood the disease of addiction. I got AA and Al-Anon pamphlets and gave them to him for his office.

Continued prayers.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:50 AM   #5
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

It is legal here too. I thought medical came in pill form. For me of my doctor prescribed it, I am willing to try it. If I find it mood altering, I stop it. I took one med for years and didn't abuse it. I no longer take it. I have changed doctors 3 times in recovery. Some just don't get it. This is my life we are dealing with. I will soon be 78 years old, and I still want to live my life not just sit around and just exist. Some one called me a survivor the other day and I found myself annoyed. I am more than that, thanks to the 12 Step programs.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:46 AM   #6
ricardos
Ricardos

CBD does not change your mood. I researched some information and would to say that most antidepressant medications take weeks to start working. I would advise buy hemp buds in https://berkshirecbd.com/. However, a 2019 animal study found that CBD has a fast and sustained antidepressant-like effect. Insomnia, sexual dysfunction, mood swings, and agitation are common side effects of antidepressants. CBD has not shown similar issues.
ricardos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:11 AM   #7
Peppermint_Charcoal

hello, @Salt4wa how are you now, any updates?
Peppermint_Charcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply