Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Spiritual Meditations Post spiritual meditations here to read and feel free to share.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 06-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Daily Reprieve - July

July 1

ALL HE HAS DONE

"We, who have recovered from serious drinking, are miracles of mental health." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 133

"O Lord my God, you have done many miracles for us. If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds, I would never come to the end of them." Psalm 40:5

For what it's worth: In the last years of my drinking, rage and resentment ran rampant. Fear, self-pity, and despair dominated my thinking. I knew I would die a miserable, lonely death, and then I would rot in hell for eternity to pay for my sins. But it wasn't sin, it was disease. It was the nature of the progressive, insane affliction I suffered, alcoholism. And God was not out to get me, but save me. Thanks to the grace of God, instead of dying a horrible death, I have been granted a new life. Each day I do my best to live the Steps and walk with my Heavenly Father. He has accomplished “miracles of mental health” and “wondrous deeds” for this once insane and worthless drunk. It would take a forest full of trees to come up with enough paper to record all he has done for me.

God bless you.
Joe W.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 2

THE HARD PART – TO PAUSE

"...We pause when agitated or doubtful and ask for the right thought or action." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 87

"Rescue me from my enemies, O God." Psalm 59: 1

For what it’s worth: When I was under the influence of alcohol and resentments, I was convinced I had many enemies. Fortunately, when a Higher Power and the Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous gave me sobriety and ability to open my soul to self-examination, I learned I am my own worst enemy. I see how I am defeating myself when I rush straight into rough waters, reacting my way and relying on my own “power”, without any concern for my God’s will. So, each new day, I pray to be rescued from myself throughout the day. At night, I inventory how well I did. On those many days when I do not do well, I talk with my Heavenly Father about what corrections to make the next day. And, the next morning, I ask Him to help me “pause when agitated or doubtful and ask for the right thought or action.” The “pause” is the hard part for me.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 3

AN UNDERSTANDING OF GOD

“God makes that possible.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 62

“The Lord is merciful and gracious...

He does not deal with us as we deserve.” Psalm 103:8 & 10

For what it's worth: During the years of my active alcoholism, I did not see God as "merciful" and "gracious". He was hard, harsh, and quick to condemn, so I tried to live as far away from Him as I could. But “The Hound of Heaven” would not leave me alone to die the horrible alcoholic death I earned. I did not have to face my Maker with my depraved attitude, being judged as I deserved. Instead, God made it possible for me to come to believe in Him as a loving and merciful Father. Since He knew I could not accomplish this drastic change on my own, He carried me to a bunch of sober, tricky, and wise drunks in Alcoholics Anonymous. They worked with me until I came to believe in the precious gift they had been given, an understanding of God. As inadequate as it may be, I recognize Him as my patient and forgiving Heavenly Father Who adores me just as I am right now.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 4

THE GREATEST GIFT

“Many of us have been so touchy that even casual reference to spiritual things made us bristle with antagonism.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 48

“Surely, your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life.” Psalm 23: 6

For what it's worth: My dread of being unloved by God caused deep antagonism and nursed my alcoholism for years. I believed He had destined me to die the lonely, miserable death that lurked at my door, partially welcomed, mostly feared. This anxiety drove me to the recovery rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous, and the kindness I received there cracked my walls of resistance. I started to believe that perhaps, just perhaps I was loved. After all, Something had pursued me and carried me to these good people. They suggested I ask God to teach me to trust His love. I have done so, and over my years in Alcoholics Anonymous, my Heavenly Father has created all manner of lessons about His unconditional love. Today, even as undeserving as I am, I am convinced of His unfailing love, the greatest gift I have ever been given.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 5

SECURE AND CONFIDENT

“…As we became conscious of His presence, we began to lose our fear of today, tomorrow or the hereafter.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 63

“I know that God is for me.” Psalm 56:9
For what it’s worth: Anxiety and insecurity constantly attacked my alcohol weakened defenses and followed me into Alcoholics Anonymous. Years of hard work with the Twelve Steps, professional therapy, and the grace of God have proved necessary to combat these destructive aggressors. What works best for me is a strong relationship with my Heavenly Father. As that grows, I become more secure and less anxious. Each morning I remind myself that God is for me, here with me, and His Spirit is in me today. So, I am not alone; there is nothing to fear; and, I can not be inadequate in any way in anything He puts before me today. Therefore, I go into this new day secure and confident.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 6

SHOUT WITH WORKS

“…We try to be humbly grateful and exert ourselves the more in a spirit of love and service.” 12&12 p.124

“Lord, accept my grateful thanks…” Psalm 119:108 (NLT)
For what it’s worth: Gratitude was foreign to me during my drinking years. Now that I am sober in Alcoholics Anonymous, however, everything is different. One of the most influential changes on my overall being is an attitude of gratitude. I even see so much to be thankful for during my drinking days, and certainly since I was blessed with sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous. Indeed, my cup overflows, and I need to shout out my gratitude in words and works, preferably works.

God bless you!
Joe W.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 07-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 7

THE POWER OF LOVE

“He is the Father, and we are His children.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 62:3

“His love endures forever.” Psalm 136:2

For what it’s worth: Growing up in a war zone teaches well about survival, but little about love. I learned that from a bunch of drunks. I had to get sober first in Alcoholics Anonymous. There I watched and learned as folks reached out to me and accepted me just as the mess I was. I saw how they gave of themselves to serve others and sacrificed for another suffering alcoholic. It was in AA that I found a loving Higher Power, Who I now call my Heavenly Father. In AA I have come to believe that I am a child of God and He loves me unconditionally. That is the greatest gift I have ever been given. It changed my attitude, my thinking, my behavior, my entire being, and my whole life.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 8

SNEAKY DENIAL

“Why could they not see that drink meant ruin to them?” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 107:3

“May your love and your truth always protect me.” Psalm 40:11

For what it’s worth: Denial is the most insidious part of my alcoholism. It blinded me from the truth about my life and my drinking. It nearly killed me. And it still can. When I’m at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, I listen closely when someone talks about a relapse. I have learned that there is always some sneaky form of denial involved. Even after years in recovery, I am still vulnerable to this treacherous devil. Each morning I beg my Heavenly Father to protect me with His love and truth.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 9

THE GOODNESS OF GOD

“He uses his gifts to build up a bright outlook for his family and himself, and then pulls the structure down on his head by a senseless series of sprees.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 62

“I sinned, and perverted what was right, but I did not get what I deserved. He redeemed my soul from going down to the pit, and I will live to enjoy the light.” Job 33:27-28

For what it's worth: My future looked bright, but I did not see alcoholism lurking in the shadows. Once it attacked, it destroyed me, my family, and everything of value in my life, reducing me to a lonely, angry, mistrusting, selfish, and despairing drunk. Still today, remembering the things I did and the things I did not do during those years, leaves me deep in shame and feeling undeserving of God's goodness. Thank God, I did not receive what I deserved; instead, my Heavenly Father offered me sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous and an abundance of blessings during my sober years.

God bless you.
Joe W.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 07-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 10

THAT AWFUL TONGUE

“Nothing pays off like restraint of tongue and pen.” 12&12 p.91

“Those who control their tongue will have a long life; opening your mouth can ruin everything." Proverbs 13:3

For what it's worth: Alcohol released my tongue and I ruined everything, especially my relationship with those I loved. Now, by the grace of God, I am sober in Alcoholics Anonymous, and I am learning to discipline the tongue. Since it is a deeply rooted defect, I seek God's support and apply Step Six and Seven daily. And the Prayer of St. Francis has proven indispensable, so I try to practice its principles daily. Control of my tongue is a lifelong and difficult job, but well worth the effort. I find it heightens humility and produces peace. Besides, others love it when I keep quiet, and I love the serenity.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 11

AN EXAMPLE OF LOVE

“Life will take on new meaning.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 89

“Your love for one another will prove to the world that
you are my disciples.” John 13:34-35

For what it's worth: Alcoholism and I destroyed all I loved. Existing without love, life had no meaning, and I needed to be drunk not to feel the torment. Using alcohol to kill the pain nearly killed me - no one would care. I went to Alcoholics Anonymous to avoid dying alone. And, from my first meeting on, I was not alone. Immediately, I saw and felt love for a drunk in those rooms, so I kept coming back for more. It was the example of the people loving one another that proved to me I was lovable and capable of loving. If they were, I was. Life took on new meaning, and today loving and being loved is who I am. Today, out of gratitude to God and Alcoholics Anonymous, I will try to show my love. Who knows? I may be a good example for someone.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 12

CHEAP TALK

“It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels..” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 85

“For the Kingdom of God is not just a lot of talk; it is living by God's power.” 1 Corinthians 4:20

For what it's worth: God's power frightened me. I insanely believed he was using His power against me because I had repeatedly slapped Him in the face with my selfish, alcoholic behavior. Blessedly, sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous presented me with a merciful Power, not a punishing Judge. God was not against me, He was for me. He is the only reason I escaped that spiraling torrent leading to hell, alcoholism. He offered me a daily reprieve in Alcoholics Anonymous, the only place I could find Twelve Steps up to a closer contract with Him, my Heavenly Father. He gives me strength every day to walk those Twelve Steps, maintaining my daily reprieve. But my weaknesses could shatter our intimacy; therefore, my job is to work hard to stay close to my Heavenly Father every moment. And my experience proves action is required, not just cheap talk.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 13

HELP HIM RESCUE OTHERS

“It (intensive work with other alcoholics) works when other activities fail.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 89

“He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.” 2 Corinthians 1:4 (New Living Translation)

For what it’s worth: A major contributor to my drinking was I had no purpose, no direction, other than to the bottle. God did not comfort me in my addiction, He condemned me, and rightfully so, because of my disdain for Him during my drinking days. I insanely blamed God, not alcohol, for all my troubles until long after I stopped drinking in Alcoholics Anonymous. I cannot pinpoint when, but the example and sharing of the members progressively led me to Step Two when I “came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity”. Once I trusted God was for me, not against me, I was able to take Step Three and slowly but surely climb up the rest of the Steps to a spiritual awakening. It was then my Heavenly Father comforted me with an honorable direction and purpose for my sober life. Today I know He rescued me from the hell of alcoholism so I will be able to help Him rescue others.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 14

“BONDAGE TO SELF”

“We hope you are convinced now that God can remove whatever self-will has blocked you off from Him.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 71

“Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise.” Hebrews 10:23

For what it's worth: My alcoholism is a self-centered disease that dominated my thinking and motives for years. Even after years in recovery in Alcoholics Anonymous, its impact can yet be felt. It certainly did block me off from God, and it still is capable of just that. I have taken this defect to God in our Sixth and Seventh Step on many occasions. Moreover, I believe God will remove self-will, but in His time, not mine. I need to be patient with myself and my Lord, being careful not to use God’s timing as an excuse to hang on to things selfish. And, I am certain I must do my part, daily applying Step Six and Seven and taking inventory in Step Ten. It helps to look at the progress God and I have made already in my struggle with bondage to self. Above all, I need constantly to trust that my Heavenly Father loves me just as I am right now.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 15

STRENGTH THROUGH SURRENDER

“I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13 (New International Version)

“Paradoxically, it (depending on our Creator) is the way of strength.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 68

For what it’s worth: Dependence on alcohol dumped me at the gates of hell, and the resulting despair drove me to the doors of Alcoholics Anonymous – undoubtedly, the best doorway I have ever entered. Although I certainly did not recognize it then, this is only one example of how my weaknesses opened my life to God’s strength. These experiences prove to me as long as I am trying to control, or allowing anything else control, I limit God’s strength. He is a gentleman, and will not force His will on me. First, I must surrender; depend on Him, not me; then, it is amazing what He can accomplish even without my help.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Post New ThreadReply