Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Family and Friends of Alcoholics and Addicts

Share This Forum!  

Family and Friends of Alcoholics and Addicts This forum is for families and friends whose lives have been affected by someone else's drinking and/or drug abuse.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2014, 01:14 AM   #1
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default Religious Freedom

Quote:
Thursday, January 30, 2014

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Religious Freedom

"...a Power greater than ourselves...." "God as we understood Him." These words introduce spirituality in the Twelve Steps. They are the first two references to God, and they are worded that way for a reason.

We each have the freedom to define, and understand, our Higher Power - God - as we choose.

That means we do not bring our religious affiliation into our recovery groups. It means that we do not try to impose our religious beliefs, or our understanding of God, on anyone else. We do not use our groups or meetings as a soapbox to gain religious converts. We do not try to force the particulars of our religious beliefs on others.

We give each person, the right to a personal understanding of a Higher Power and ourselves.

Today, I will respect other people's understanding of God, as well as my own. I will not allow others' judgment of my beliefs to cause me anxiety and distress. I will seek to grow spiritually in recovery, with or without the assistance of a particular religion or denomination.
Liked it when I heard Higher Power when I came into the rooms of recovery. There are many religions and everyone things their's is the ONE, when in truth, to me, all are ONE.

I grew up in the Gospel Halls and had total disdain for the Roman Catholic church especially. My church was very simple, no minister, and when you got up to pray, there was no script, it came from the heart. As the program teaches, I had to learn to have an open mind. That didn't mean I changed my belief, but changed my attitude towards those who believed.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply