Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - 10/31

For those dark times, here’s a word of hope: God meets us where we are. Even if we aren’t looking in His direction, He is always looking in ours. --Liz Curtis Higgs

If we wait until every possible hindrance has been removed before we do a work for the Lord, we will never attempt to do anything. --T.J. Back

Out of the tangled threads of our days our Father quietly weaves a tapestry of beauty and quiet contentment, if we let Him. --W. Phillip Keller

Instead of following our tiny, tiny plans, God wants to open heaven and flood us. --Evelyn Christenson

Appearances can be deceptive. The fact that we cannot see what God is doing does not mean that He is doing nothing. The Lord has His own timetable. It is we who must learn to adjust to it, not vice versa. When God's time comes nothing will stand in His way. We can therefore wait for Him with this happy confidence: "As for God, His way is perfect" (2 Samuel 22:31). --Sinclair B. Ferguson

Sometimes the stormy weather comes not in the form of a blizzard, a tornado or hurricane, but rather in the form of a crisis in our lives over which we have no control. I have wondered many times if my Heavenly Father has not allowed certain difficulties to come into my life just to remind me that I’m not the one in charge—but that He is. And He knows what He’s doing. --Rocky Henriques

Nothing can rob you or your hold on grace, your claim to peace, or your confidence in God without your permission. --Charles Swindoll

Sometimes Jesus is our strength simply to sit still…The answers will come. --Billy Graham

When You're Overwhelmed by Greg Laurie
From the end of the earth I will cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. — Psalm 61:2
God promises that He will give us a peace that surpasses understanding, but not necessarily a peace that always will give us understanding.
You may be facing a personal crisis right now. Maybe it is a lack of employment. Maybe it is a foreclosure on your home or a loss in your investments. Maybe you have a marriage that is falling apart or a prodigal son or daughter. Maybe you have a life-threatening illness. Maybe you are paralyzed by fear as you think about an uncertain future. So what should you do? The Bible tells us the answer to worry is prayer: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6–7).
I have lived by these words since my son Christopher's departure to heaven, because I have been hit with harsh reality of it—most notably, his absence. There have been waves of deep sadness that have overwhelmed me at times. So I pray. Sometimes my prayers are not long, but simply a cry out to God: God, help me. Give me strength right now. And He does. He gives me the strength that I need. It is not necessarily more than I need, but He gives me what I need for what I am facing at the moment.
The psalmist wrote, "From the end of the earth I will cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I" (Psalm 61:2). So when you are feeling overwhelmed, pray. Things will fall into their proper place as God brings about the events of your life according to His perfect will.

Migrating by Sally I. Kennedy
Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Matthew 6:26
Peak color of the trees hadn't yet arrived, but the crisp, autumn air had. Just made you want to reach out your hand and grab a handful of its coolness and hang onto it.
Our friend stooped to pick up a caterpillar looking creature. "Webworm", he exclaimed, as he pointed out the webby stuff on the ends of some tree branches.
He explained these webworms cocoon in the silky mass every year. Seems the nests can cover a cluster of leaves yet don't kill the tree. They develop late in the season, when deciduous leaves will soon be shed naturally, just in time for the annual migration of birds.
The migrating birds, from points north, fly to southern climates for the winter. The webworms provide food for the journey, when the birds peck into the filmy nest to eat the worms.
Maybe we don't "migrate", but we do travel. We each have an individual, personalized journey through life. We are blessed to have a heavenly Father who provides us with what we need for our life journeys. The Lord will provide. (Gen.22:13-14)
Today I am thankful for migrating gifts from the Lord. For all of us... birds included. May we have eyes to see what and where they are. In Jesus' name! Amen.

The Power Of One Author Unknown
Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, was one of the two who heard what John had said and who had followed Jesus. The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, "We have found the Messiah" (that is, the Christ). And he brought him to Jesus.
Did you ever stop to think how very important you are in God's economy and his plans? Pretty much throughout the entire Bible when God had a work to be done, He chose and called an individual to lead. True, He chose the nation of Israel to be his special people, but he chose individuals to lead this nation to do his work. God also has a place for you and me in his plan. It may not be a gigantic role, but it is an important one.
Think of the twelve disciples, for example, who were all a vital part of God's mission. Half of them never said anything that is recorded in the New Testament. And if I remember correctly, three of them said only a word or two that was recorded. And Andrew, who didn't have much to say, brought Peter, who became the early church leader and evangelist, to Jesus. Andrew was also the one who brought the boy with the two loaves and fishes to Jesus that Jesus used to feed the multitude. It was only Peter, James, Matthew and John that we heard much from, but every one of Jesus' disciples had an equally important role to play in God's program.
Whether your task is great or small, God wants to use you to be a part of his plan in what he is doing in your world today. In the words of Edward Everett Hale: "I am only one. But still I am one. I cannot do everything, But still I can do something. And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the Something that I can do."
Don't ever forget how very important you are, not only to your loved ones, your work, but also to God.

THE CUSTOMER
“Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” Colossians 4:5-6
“An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.” Proverbs 12:25
“A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones.” Proverbs 15:30
Jay is a Taco Bell restaurant manager in Tennessee. This is his story. It is a beautiful example of the difference we can make in people’s lives.
We have a long-time regular customer as many restaurants do. I have noticed her here two or three times a week for about the last fifteen months. In the past, she was routinely not very happy. “Food is too hot, food is too cold, prices are too high, not enough cheese, and the table she wanted was not clean….” You get the picture.
One day about a year ago, as I was coming in to work, I walked in the door of the restaurant, and I noticed her eating in the lobby. I wondered why she was unhappy. I sat my briefcase down, took a cinnamon twist from the line and headed to her table. We had a brief pleasant conversation. During the months since, I have not known her to complain about anything. Doris and I have become casual friends and enjoy sharing with each other about our faith, our family and other activities. Most of all, our team enjoys seeing her now as well. The timing of my decision to share this with you is this.
Over the past few months I have learned that Doris is in need of a kidney transplant and her husband suffers from terminal cancer. Yesterday she came in very excited, her doctor had just called her with the news that a match had been found. Doris had her kidney transplant last night. She told me the first place she wanted to go was here to tell us the good news.
This means more to me than any other form of recognition or compensation. You see, I could have thought of her as just another person that you can’t make happy and she could have thought of us as just another place wanting her money, but I saw her as an opportunity to show God’s love for people.
We are far from being the perfect operation, nor do we make everyone happy, but our number one goal is to show people love. If we can offer them a warm smile of encouragement or a kind word to lift their spirits along with their meal, maybe they will leave, as Doris did that first day, feeling better than they did before they came in.
Every day we get to choose how we will respond to people. We can return hurt for hurt, or we can be the voice of grace, reflecting the love of God to all those we meet along the way. Inspiration Plus

Night Shift
Psalm 134:1-3 Behold, bless ye the Lord, all ye servants of the Lord, which by night stand in the house of the Lord. Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the Lord. The Lord that made heaven and earth bless thee out of Zion.
Years ago when I was attending seminary, I worked the night shift on occasion. It paid a little more money than the day shift, but I was a bit lonely. If you've ever had to work the night shift, you will appreciate Psalm 134. "God never slumbers or sleeps." Therefore, we can serve and praise Him any time of day.
The psalmist says there were priests who prayed and praised God in His temple at night. There was a constant repetition of praise and prayer from the temple. We can bless the Lord in the night seasons. It's not easy when we are going through the nighttime experiences of life to lift our hands and bless the Lord. But He does give us songs in the night.
Paul and Silas were able to lift their hearts in praise to God while in the Philippian jail (Acts 16). They were on the night shift. They knew that God was awake, so they blessed Him, and He sent deliverance. We can get some strange blessings in the night seasons, for God speaks to us in different ways. Others may not see your praise at night, but God sees and hears. Whether you are in the sunshine or in the darkness, whether you are serving on the day shift or the night shift, remember that you are serving the Lord. Because He never slumbers or sleeps, He hears your prayer and praise at all times, and He will bless you. From "Prayer, Praises, and Promises" at www.backtothebible.org

Stay in God's Will Author Unknown
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6)
Dr. Baker James Cauthen resigned from the faculty of Southwestern Seminary and the pastorate of Travis Avenue Baptist Church in Ft. Worth to take his family to China in 1939, in the midst of war. His explanation was simple: the safest place in all the world to be is the center of the will of God.
Before he left for China, Dr. Cauthen said to his friend Bill Howse: "Bill, many people are making a lot out of what we are trying to do, but for us it's simply the will of God. It's such a good feeling that I can say that if our ship is bombed in Hong Kong harbor and we never set foot on Chinese soil, I will have a sense of completeness because I will have been doing the will of God for me."
Remember. The Will of God will never take you...
Where the grace of God cannot keep you,
Where the arms of God cannot support you,
Where the hands of God cannot mold you.
Where the power of God cannot endow you.
The will of God will never take you...
Where the spirit of God cannot work through you,
Where the riches of God cannot supply you,
Where the wisdom of God cannot teach you,
Where the army of God cannot protect you,
Where the love of God cannot enfold you,
Where the mercy of God cannot sustain you,
Where the Word of God cannot feed you,
Where the authority of God cannot overrule for you.
Where the comfort of God cannot dry your tears,
Where the peace of God cannot calm your fears,
Where the miracles of God cannot be done for you,
Where the omnipresence of God cannot find you.

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
It is My desire to see you walk in truth. Righteousness, obedience, and freedom require the ability to know the truth. Deception can only come when you do not love the truth. Just because you believe something does not make it true, and your faith cannot work in deception. The standard is My word and your relationship with Me, says the Lord. Be honest and true. John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

I am bringing you, step by step, into a more solid position of faith and purity. Be done with superficial religiosity, and rise above carnality to walk in true relationship with Me, says the Lord. Be filled with My Spirit so that you can bear the fruit that transcends natural tendencies. I am calling you to come up here; to come higher in your spiritual walk. Galatians 5:22-23b But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

The way has been made for you to live according to the dictates of My word and purposes for you. The only thing that can hold you back is your carnal nature. You must desire My kingdom, see the truth, and follow where I lead. I have given you the ability to overcome any obstacle that would keep you from complete unity with Me, says the Lord. John 17:22 "And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me."

Life is short and time is precious. I have separated you to Myself, says the Lord. Your separations from others rarely feel good, but they are necessary for your growth and development. Don't lament what is past, but rather learn and progress. The events of your life are designed for your eternal, spiritual perfection. Stay focused. 2 Corinthians 6:17 Therefore "Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you."

In a vision I saw a sort of land mass that was being pulled apart; a large part of it represented the past and another large part represented the future. They were being separated one from another by a very thin land bridge. We were on that bridge that was getting thinner by the minute, and I knew that it would soon break so that there would be no way back. We were pressing on quickly. I realized that this was a picture of where we are currently--still in transition, which causes us to feel unsettled and precarious, but we have to let go of the past and reach forward to what is ahead. Things will not always be this weird, so keep it moving! Philippians 3:13-14 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
I am bringing you into a season of divine fulfillment--a season in which you can grow spiritually. It will be a season in which new understanding will come out of the teaching of My word and bring forth the power of the Spirit. You will embrace the Word in a fresh way that will produce revelation to cause you to be greater than you are today. You don't have to ask Me to increase your faith; you just have to ask for direction and believe that I will show you the right way to go. And, you will have the complete assurance and guarantee that I am bringing you into the fullness of what this season has in store, says the Lord.

He Hears Us When We Pray! by Arleen C. Russell
I've wondered, Lord, how it can be You hear me when I call.
I'm only one of millions, and Your love is over all.
How can it be Your holy ear Is tuned to hear my cries?
How can You know what troubles me And see tears in my eyes?
Do I presume too much when I Approach Your sacred throne,
And dare to think that I can spend Some time with You alone?
Some times I'm so weary I Don't even want to pray.
I feel confused; things all look wrong, I don't know what to say.
In quietness and confidence I seek a place apart
And rest until I feel Your Spirit Touch my trembling heart.
Although I cannot understand Somehow, I know You've heard,
Like lovers who communicate Without a single word.
You are so great! I am so small. I'm glad it is this way.
All things are possible with You; You hear me when I pray.
Great God of all universe, In joy or distress-
I rest myself in all You are For You are limitless!

I Found You Again by Virginia Santoro
The world was getting crowded,
boxing me in on every side.
I no longer could tell where I was,
everything changed before my eyes.
People who were always reliable...
began to act unpredictably.
The places I went to for comfort...
no longer held familiarity.
With transformation all around me,
I only wished for it to stop.
Somehow I realized it never would;
instead I turned to look inside.
To my heart's delight, I found You again...
You never changed, nor went away.
Whatever happens out there, although I'll surely care...
with You, it will always be more than okay.

It is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. Lamentations 3:26

Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom. Ecclesiastes 9:10

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other. John 15:9-17

For God's gifts and his call are irrevocable. Romans 11:29

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:16

Remember your word to your servant, for you have given me hope. My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life. Psalm 119:49-50

"Because he loves me," says the LORD , "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation." Psalm 91:15

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26

IT'S ONLY A QUARTER! Author Unknown
Several years ago a preacher moved to Houston, Texas. Some weeks after he arrived, he had occasion to ride the bus from his home to the downtown area. When he sat down, he discovered that the driver had accidentally given him a quarter too much change.
As he considered what to do, he thought to himself, you better give the quarter back. It would be wrong to keep it. Then he thought, "Oh, forget it, it's only a quarter. Who would worry about this little amount? Anyway the bus company already gets too much fare; they will never miss it. Accept it as a gift from God and keep quiet."
When his stop came, he paused momentarily at the door, then he handed the quarter to the driver and said, "Here, you gave me too much change."
The driver with a smile, replied, "Aren't you the new preacher in town? I have been thinking lately about going to worship somewhere. I just wanted to see what you would do if I gave you too much change."
When my friend stepped off the bus, he literally grabbed the nearest light pole, and held on, and said, "O God, I almost sold your Son for a quarter."
Our lives are the only Bible some people will ever read.

WHAT ABOUT THE FUTURE by Russ Lawson
I don't know about you, but I sometimes get concerned about the future. I don't know if I actually worry about it, but sometimes it is close to that. I am concerned about the state of our world; I am concerned about the financial condition of our country; I am concerned about what the government will or won't do to the stability of our country; I am concerned about what kind of world our children and grandchildren will have to live in; I am concerned with how things will turn out in our lives as we grow older.
Again, I am concerned, but don't worry about it. Every day, just as perhaps you do, I strive to turn my future over to God. Sometimes I successful, sometimes I'm not.
I recently read a quote from Corrie Ten Boom that said, "Never be afraid to trust the future you don't know, to a God you do know". I don't know about you, but from time to time I need to be reminded of that fact! Don't most of the issues in our lives have a direct relationship to our reliance upon God or our relationship to him? Who is it we turn to in times of trouble, is it our friends and family, our co-workers, or do we first think of God. Your answer to that question may explain your success or failure in some of your struggles.
I am endeavoring every day to rely more upon God regarding my future. Shouldn't we really be able to trust the future to our God we know? In the scripture we read: "God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5) So, if we know this promise and know the one who made the promise, how can we not trust our future to his hands? David said of God in Psalm 31:15, "My future is in Your hands".
We have read the words, we know the promise; we know the one who made the promise, now it is time for us to live like we believe the promise. Stop worrying about that which you can't change or can't direct yourself and turn it over to God.

Thank you, God, for your loving care and for never losing sight of us, no matter how lost we feel. Give us courage that comes from knowing that you are with us. Amen.

Read Through The Bible
Ezra 10
Confession of Improper Marriages
1 Now while Ezra was praying, and while he was confessing, weeping, and bowing down before the house of God, a very large assembly of men, women, and children gathered to him from Israel; for the people wept very bitterly. 2 And Shechaniah the son of Jehiel, one of the sons of Elam, spoke up and said to Ezra, “We have trespassed against our God, and have taken pagan wives from the peoples of the land; yet now there is hope in Israel in spite of this. 3 Now therefore, let us make a covenant with our God to put away all these wives and those who have been born to them, according to the advice of my master and of those who tremble at the commandment of our God; and let it be done according to the law. 4 Arise, for this matter is your responsibility. We also are with you. Be of good courage, and do it.” 5 Then Ezra arose, and made the leaders of the priests, the Levites, and all Israel swear an oath that they would do according to this word. So they swore an oath. 6 Then Ezra rose up from before the house of God, and went into the chamber of Jehohanan the son of Eliashib; and when he came there, he ate no bread and drank no water, for he mourned because of the guilt of those from the captivity. 7 And they issued a proclamation throughout Judah and Jerusalem to all the descendants of the captivity, that they must gather at Jerusalem, 8 and that whoever would not come within three days, according to the instructions of the leaders and elders, all his property would be confiscated, and he himself would be separated from the assembly of those from the captivity. 9 So all the men of Judah and Benjamin gathered at Jerusalem within three days. It was the ninth month, on the twentieth of the month; and all the people sat in the open square of the house of God, trembling because of this matter and because of heavy rain. 10 Then Ezra the priest stood up and said to them, “You have transgressed and have taken pagan wives, adding to the guilt of Israel. 11 Now therefore, make confession to the Lord God of your fathers, and do His will; separate yourselves from the peoples of the land, and from the pagan wives.” 12 Then all the assembly answered and said with a loud voice, “Yes! As you have said, so we must do. 13 But there are many people; it is the season for heavy rain, and we are not able to stand outside. Nor is this the work of one or two days, for there are many of us who have transgressed in this matter. 14 Please, let the leaders of our entire assembly stand; and let all those in our cities who have taken pagan wives come at appointed times, together with the elders and judges of their cities, until the fierce wrath of our God is turned away from us in this matter.” 15 Only Jonathan the son of Asahel and Jahaziah the son of Tikvah opposed this, and Meshullam and Shabbethai the Levite gave them support. 16 Then the descendants of the captivity did so. And Ezra the priest, with certain heads of the fathers’ households, were set apart by the fathers’ households, each of them by name; and they sat down on the first day of the tenth month to examine the matter. 17 By the first day of the first month they finished questioning all the men who had taken pagan wives.
Pagan Wives Put Away
18 And among the sons of the priests who had taken pagan wives the following were found of the sons of Jeshua the son of Jozadak, and his brothers: Maaseiah, Eliezer, Jarib, and Gedaliah. 19 And they gave their promise that they would put away their wives; and being guilty, they presented a ram of the flock as their trespass offering. 20 Also of the sons of Immer: Hanani and Zebadiah; 21 of the sons of Harim: Maaseiah, Elijah, Shemaiah, Jehiel, and Uzziah; 22 of the sons of Pashhur: Elioenai, Maaseiah, Ishmael, Nethanel, Jozabad, and Elasah. 23 Also of the Levites: Jozabad, Shimei, Kelaiah (the same is Kelita), Pethahiah, Judah, and Eliezer. 24 Also of the singers: Eliashib; and of the gatekeepers: Shallum, Telem, and Uri. 25 And others of Israel: of the sons of Parosh: Ramiah, Jeziah, Malchiah, Mijamin, Eleazar, Malchijah, and Benaiah; 26
of the sons of Elam: Mattaniah, Zechariah, Jehiel, Abdi, Jeremoth, and Eliah; 27 of the sons of Zattu: Elioenai, Eliashib, Mattaniah, Jeremoth, Zabad, and Aziza; 28 of the sons of Bebai: Jehohanan, Hananiah, Zabbai, and Athlai; 29 of the sons of Bani: Meshullam, Malluch, Adaiah, Jashub, Sheal, and Ramoth; 30 of the sons of Pahath-Moab: Adna, Chelal, Benaiah, Maaseiah, Mattaniah, Bezalel, Binnui, and Manasseh; 31 of the sons of Harim: Eliezer, Ishijah, Malchijah, Shemaiah, Shimeon, 32 Benjamin, Malluch, and Shemariah; 33 of the sons of Hashum: Mattenai, Mattattah, Zabad, Eliphelet, Jeremai, Manasseh, and Shimei; 34 of the sons of Bani: Maadai, Amram, Uel, 35 Benaiah, Bedeiah, Cheluh, 36 Vaniah, Meremoth, Eliashib, 37 Mattaniah, Mattenai, Jaasai, 38 Bani, Binnui, Shimei, 39 Shelemiah, Nathan, Adaiah, 40 Machnadebai, Shashai, Sharai, 41 Azarel, Shelemiah, Shemariah, 42 Shallum, Amariah, and Joseph; 43 of the sons of Nebo: Jeiel, Mattithiah, Zabad, Zebina, Jaddai, Joel, and Benaiah.44 All these had taken pagan wives, and some of them had wives by whom they had children.

Thank You, Lord, for Your Word, which is a lamp to my feet, and for Your Holy Spirit, Who will guide me into all truth. Open my eyes that I may see myself as You see me. Then enable me to walk as a child of light.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply