Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 02-01-2022, 06:40 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Today's Thought - February

February 1

Learn what you are, and be such.

~Pindar

It’s difficult for some of us to take a compliment. When others respond favorably to us, we may wonder if they know who we really are; we may believe that if they knew the whole truth, they would think less highly of us.

We are not impostors; we’re complex people who are continuing to evolve. We may be competent, sober, generous, and successful and at the same time still have uncertainties and self-centered fears. We can give ourselves permission to be wherever we are in our process of development or recovery.

This means acknowledging not only our shortcomings but also our successes. We can value what we’ve worked to accomplish and become willing to accept others’ praise and congratulations without feeling fraudulent. Our progress is real. We can let it empower and nurture us.

Today, my image of myself is positive. I accept the reality of my progress.

Today's reading is from the book Glad Day: Daily Meditations for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender People*
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2022, 02:23 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 2

What If?

I was talking to a friend one day about something I planned to do. Actually, I was worrying about how one particular person might react to what I intended to do.

“What if he doesn’t handle it very well?” I asked.

“Then,” my friend replied, “you’re going to have to handle it well.”

“What if’s” can make us crazy. They put control over our life in someone else’s hands. “What if’s” are a sign that we have reverted to thinking that people have to react in a particular way for us to continue on our course.

“What if’s” are also a clue that we may be wondering whether we can trust ourselves and our Higher Power to do what’s best for us. These are shreds of codependent ways of thinking, feeling, and behaving, and they signal fear.

The reactions, feelings, likes or dislikes of others don’t have to control our behaviors, feelings, and direction. We don’t need to control how others react to our choices. We can trust ourselves, with help from a Higher Power, to handle any outcome—even the most uncomfortable. And, my friend, we can trust ourselves to handle it well.

Today, I will not worry about other people’s reactions, or events outside of my control. Instead, I will focus on my reactions. I will handle my life well today and trust that, tomorrow, I can do the same.

Today's reading is from the book The Language of Letting Go: Daily Meditations on Codependency*
Old 02-03-2022, 06:43 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 3

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

~William Shakespeare

Is the glass half full or half empty? Is the responsibility a privilege or a duty? Is the help we’ve been asked to give an opportunity or an obligation? Do we “get” to do it, or do we “have” to do it?

Attitude is everything. And luckily for us, our attitudes are a matter of choice. We can pick the attitudes we want much as we pick out our clothes or hairstyles. Nothing or no one in the past or present can dictate our attitudes. No one else deserves credit or blame for how we choose to process reality. For better or worse, our attitudes are ours alone.

We all have the same world to respond to. What we practice, we become. If we practice looking at each day as a new adventure, so it will be.

I will develop an attitude of gratitude each day, giving thanks for my many blessings.

Today's reading is from the book Days of Healing, Days of Joy: Daily Meditations for Adult Children*
Old 02-04-2022, 06:48 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 4

Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

~Step Four of Alcoholics Anonymous

Who, exactly, are we? We have admitted in Step One that we are addicts, dependent on alcohol or drugs. We know that we are not exactly the same persons we were before this disease took hold of us; it has changed us.

Step Four suggests that we take a long hard look at ourselves. What are our values? Our feelings? Our behaviors? What can these things tell us about the persons we are inside? The Big Book or a Fourth Step guide can help us make this inventory.

Some of what we find will be good. A lot of what we find will be things we really don’t want to admit and take responsibility for. That’s because our disease has changed the way our brain works, making it harder to be true to ourselves. Step Four is strong medicine to help us get well.
Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, help me be fearless and thorough in doing my Fourth Step. Help me remember that, although I may not like it, I need to do it in order to get well.
Today's Action

Have I taken my Fourth Step? If not, I will ask my sponsor to help me do a fearless and searching moral inventory. The sooner I do this work, the faster I will heal.

Today's reading is from the book God Grant Me: More Daily Meditations from the Authors of Keep It Simple*
Old 02-05-2022, 06:26 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 5

All animals except man know that the ultimate point of life is to enjoy it.

~Samuel Butler

If we take time to watch animals, we see that they have a zest for life that seems to engage them totally in whatever they are doing. A cat chasing its tail, a dog going after a ball, a horse running through a pasture, a dolphin leaping and diving—all are actions that reveal energy and delight in simply being alive.

Life, we say, is to be enjoyed, but how many of us manage to put this theory into practice? We often associate pleasure with guilt, with acting out, or with hurting or being hurt, and so we stand back from the full enjoyment of our power to be really alive.

Letting go of our shame and feelings of unworthiness will help us to let go and live. If we can tap into the spontaneity that runs through the animal kingdom, we will rediscover the sheer joy of being alive.

I’ll try to take time to watch animals at play and learn from their vitality and enjoyment of the moment.

Today's reading is from the book Answers in the Heart: Daily Meditations for Men and Women Recovering from Sex Addiction*
Old 02-06-2022, 07:54 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 6

Purpose in Life

The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

The same miracle that started our recovery from addiction gave us a chance for a second life. It also brought us a purpose in life. This was something we had lacked for years. This purpose for our life makes it possible to achieve a state of happiness and peace of mind.

This purpose is to help others. Unless our hearts are filled with the principles of our new way of life, we are not doing our best. The spiritual growth that comes from pursuing a purpose in life makes each day a joy for us and makes our existence worthwhile. Long-timers remind us, “Be as enthusiastic about your recovery as you were about your addiction.”

I never want to say, “This I must do.” I want to say, “This I want to do.” Serving a purpose in life is only a small repayment for the gift of recovery.

Today's reading is from the book Easy Does It: A Book of Daily Twelve Step Meditations*
Old 02-07-2022, 06:59 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 7

Discipline is the basis of a satisfying life.

~Katharine Hepburn

When trying to reach a goal, we may tire of the constant effort that is required of us, or we may rebel against the structure that’s necessary to keep us focused. We often long for what we remember as a freer, more spontaneous time in the past.

It’s helpful to remember that our goals come from our desire for change. We can see each yearning as God’s invitation for us to move in a new direction. And we can be sure that we have God as our helpmate throughout the journey wherever our destination may be.

Goals that inspire us to act bring meaning to our life. We make progress in moving toward them, and our feeling of satisfaction and renewed sense of purpose will motivate us to persevere to their completion.

The comfort of regular conscious contact with our Higher Power, as we seek always to align our goals with God’s will for us, will carry us to the fulfillment of our goals.

I will seek direction and strength from God while moving toward my goals today.

Today's reading is from the book In God's Care: Daily Meditations on Spirituality in Recovery*
Old 02-08-2022, 05:00 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 8

Many of us achieve only the semblance of communication with others; what we say is often not contingent on what the other has just said, and neither of us is aware that we are not communicating.

~Desy Safan-Gerard

When we don't listen fully to each other, when we don't revere the Spirit within others that's trying to talk to us, we destroy the connection that wants to be made between our Spirits. Our inner selves have messages to give and messages to receive for the good of all. Our ego selves often keep us from hearing the very words that would unravel a problem in our lives.

How hard it is, how often, to be still and to fully listen to the words, rather than the person. How much more familiar it is to filter the message with our own ongoing inner dialogue—our own ongoing continual assessment of an* other's personhood at the very time our higher power is trying to reach us through them.

There really are no wasted words. Messages are everywhere. We can learn to listen.

I will hear just what I need to hear today. I will open myself fully to the words.

Today's reading is from the book Each Day a New Beginning: Daily meditations for Women*
Old 02-09-2022, 05:31 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 9

Better to ask twice than to lose your way once.

~Danish saying

How many times have we heard that guys never want to stop and ask for directions? It is true that many of us would rather drive around searching for a place than stop and ask for help. Some of us say we enjoy solving the puzzle without asking for the answer. It’s a trait that many carry to extremes. We apply it to our lives with very serious consequences when we refuse to see a doctor for a medical condition, or we refuse to consult a therapist for personal problems, or we can’t bring ourselves to go to a Twelve Step group.

Fortunately, we don’t have to be permanently locked into those restrictions. We have now found the freedom and rich rewards that come from letting our guard down. The payoff for asking for help, and accepting it, has been far greater than the arrogance of doing everything without help.

Today, I will be open to all the help I can get.

Today's reading is from the book Stepping Stones: More Daily Meditations for Men*
Old 02-10-2022, 03:49 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 10

AA Thought for the Day

When we came into AA, we came to believe in a Power greater than ourselves. We came to believe in that Divine Principle in the universe, which we call God, to whom we can turn for help. Each morning we have a quiet time. We ask God for the power to stay sober for the next twenty-four hours. And each night we thank Him for helping us to keep sober that day. Do I believe that each person I see in AA is a demonstration of the power of God to change a human being from a drunkard to a sober person?
Meditation for the Day

I should pray for faith as a thirsty person prays for water in a desert. Do I know what it means to feel sure that God will never fail me? Am I sure of this as I am sure that I still breathe? I should pray daily and most diligently that my faith may increase. There is nothing lacking in my life because, really, all I need is mine, only I lack the faith to know it. I am like a rich person’s child who sits in rags when all around me are stores of all I could desire.
Prayer for the Day

I pray for the realization that God has everything I need. I pray that I may know that His power is always available.

Today's reading is from the book Twenty-Four Hours a Day: A Spiritual Resource with Practical Applications for Daily Life*
Old 02-11-2022, 06:56 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 11

…there is as much dignity in tilling a field as in writing a poem.

~Booker T. Washington

It's not what we do for a job that counts, it's how we do it. It's not what our chores at home might be, it's how we do them. And it's not what grades we get in school, but rather how hard we try. Doing our best, whether it's making a bed, writing a report, or listening to a friend tell about an experience gives us a good feeling about ourselves.

Each of us is special to one another. And we are special to this very moment. Because what is past can't be repeated, let's remember to enjoy every moment as it comes. Let's pay close attention to each person, each activity that we encounter today. It's not what we do today, but how we do it that counts.

Can I do each thing well today, even the small things?

Today's reading is from the book Today's Gift: Daily Meditations for Families*
Old 02-12-2022, 06:45 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 12

Who is the bravest hero? He who turns his enemy into a friend.

~Hebrew proverb

In recovery we take our worst enemy, addiction, and turn it around. We were ashamed of our addiction. Over time we become proud of our recovery. We were our own worst enemy. Now we’re our own best friend. We are brave people.

Being brave is about facing our fears. Often we think brave people don’t get afraid, but this isn’t true. Brave people learn to stay put, even when their knees are shaking. Many times in recovery, we will want to run when we should stay put. We may even think about using substances again. We need to remember our bravery and how we turned our worst enemy into a friend.
Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, teach me when to run and when to stay put. Help me be brave.
Action for the Day

I will claim my bravery today. I’ll hold my head up high and be proud of how far I’ve come. I now have nothing to be ashamed of.

Today's reading is from the book Keep it Simple: Daily Meditations for Twelve Step Beginnings and Renewal*
Old 02-13-2022, 05:58 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 13

If you keep on saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.

~Isaac Bashevis Singer

Many of us have the habit of taking a negative outlook on whatever comes along. We don’t believe things will work out for us; we don’t think we will have a good day; we can’t accept our friends’ warm feelings. To follow this gloomy path is a strange distortion of faith—it is faith in the negative. Any forecast, whether hopeful or pessimistic, is a step into the unknown. So why do we choose the dark one?

We get a payoff for our pessimism, which keeps us hooked. It creates misery, but it serves our demand for control. There is more risk in being open to something positive because we cannot force positive things to occur. We can only be open to them and believe in the possibility. But when we predict the negative and expect only bad things, we squelch many good things or overlook them. Then we say, “I knew it would be this way,” and in our misery we satisfy our self-centered craving to be in charge. When we surrender our need to be in control, we are more open and welcoming of the good things that come our way.

Today, I will be open to the good that is around me.

Today's reading is from the book Touchstones: A Book of Daily Meditations for Men*
Old 02-14-2022, 05:42 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 14

Expressing love

We can finally see that without a Higher Power, without love, we are powerless. It’s what we’ve been seeking for ages—and it’s been here all along; we just couldn’t see it.

We need a Higher Power. We need love. It is the answer to our problems; it can change everything. (But we have so much trouble with it!) We’re afraid of love, and we fail to give the love we have to give. Yet every expression of love is sacred, nurturing.

Am I expressing my love?

Higher Power, help me to see my best self, to express it, and to see the best in others.

I will express the love within me today by…

Today's reading is from the book Day by Day: Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts*
Old 02-15-2022, 06:39 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 15

Reflection for the Day

I will resolve to observe with new interest even the commonplace things that happen today. If I learn to see everything with a fresh eye, perhaps I’ll find I have countless reasons for contentment and gratitude. When I find myself trapped in the quicksand of my negative thoughts, I’ll turn away from them—and grab for the lifesaving strength of sharing with others in the program. Do I carry my weight as an all-important link in the worldwide chain of the program?
Today I Pray

I pray that my Higher Power will open my eyes to the smallest everyday wonders, that I may notice and list among my blessings things like just feeling good, being able to think clearly. Even when I make a simple, unimportant choice, like whether to order coffee or tea or a soft drink, may I be reminded that the power of choice is a gift.
Today I Will Remember

I am blessed with the freedom of choice.

Today's reading is from the book A Day at a Time: Daily Reflections for Recovering People*
Post New ThreadReply